All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

titan likes to diss my mass quantity and large sized beers, but I picked up a couple of 24 ounce Foster's in Pascagoula this week to drink with my neighbor by the fence. I'd never bought one and I thought it would be a good beer to try, you guys are ragging it already, and I haven't even tried it.

It ain't the size of the container, it's what's in it. There's a reason most of those beers are cheap and it isn't because of a love for their fellow man.

I had a couple Innis and Gunn's in Athens last night. We went to The Farm 255* and they had them there.

*If you like sustainable, seasonal cooking, this place is great. One of my buddy's who lives in Athens knows one of the girls who co-owns it. They have their own local farm where they get all their produce and meat from. Really good place.

I admit to being a beer lightweight, but the 3 worst beers I have had are 3. Sweetwater IPA, 2. Sam Adams Imperial White (hi grav).....1. Guiness Stout (I could not get the taste out of my mouth for hours)

I admit to being a beer lightweight, but the 3 worst beers I have had are 3. Sweetwater IPA, 2. Sam Adams Imperial White (hi grav).....1. Guiness Stout (I could not get the taste out of my mouth for hours)

I actually love all 3 of those beers. Ah well.

Ha Justin I was thinking the same thing.

DrTom's post left me vexed indeed. :)

I'm going to do this Olympics-style...

Bronze--Natural Light

Silver--Schlitz

Gold (s***tiest of all)--Meister Brau

How can y'all hate hoegaarden or an IPA? Yeeesssh.

Anyway....the worst beer i've ever tasted was a Rio Grande Pancho Verde. They were on sale at greens for like 2 bucks a 6 pack so I figured i'd take it home and see if I liked it. Ever open a bottle of cheap salsa, use a little, then sit it in the back of your fridge for a good 6 months...open it up and this juice has come up to the top of it?

Well, these people took mass amounts of that juice and blended it with fizzy, yellow beer and tried to sell it to people to consume. I bought the 6 pack back in my 05 or 06 and still have 2 left. I was good for one swallow before I nearly threw up, game one to a friend that was there with me and snuck two on people asking for a beer to see if they liked it.

Ohh...here is ratebeer.com's top 50 worst beers in the entire world.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp USA! USA!

Ha Justin I was thinking the same thing.

DrTom's post left me vexed indeed. :)

I admitted to being a lightweight!! My 3 favs are Sweetwater Blue, Hoegarden and Blue Moon, so what does that tell you.

Hey folks. I know my friends in Alabama are getting inundated with all sorts of new beers, breweries and tastings on a weekly basis and we all want to share what's going on in our neck of the woods so I thought I'd start this thread on AUNation. I started a "let's talk about beer" thread on the board I own for folks to post anything and everything about beer two years ago and it now has over 2600 post with 18000+ views and it's all about glorious, glorious, beer.

Anyway, I noticed we have a few beer threads popping up so I thought we could centralize and have everyone post in this thread all the new beers you've tried, new bars, tastings and just thoughts on beer.

Cheers!

My favorite high gravity ones I've had:

Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale

Maudite

Three Philosophers

Brother Theolonius

In the non high gravity category, I got to have a Sweetwater 420 when I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Man that was good stuff.

I like Sam Adams White Ale, but haven't heard good things about their Imperial White. And I've yet to taste an IPA I like. They all have an aftertaste that makes me think it's brewed with dish soap.

Guinness on tap is good stuff, especially with shepherd's pie.

Those remind me of some of the inital brands we got in Atlanta after the raising of the alcohol level.

Has Rochefort made it's way down there? What about Bell's beer? Atlanta just got Two-hearted ale last week and if you've never tried it, I suggest picking up a 6 pack or mini-keg asap.

img1761k.jpg

The Brother Thelonious brew is a belgian strong that comes from Ft. Bragg, California. Quality stuff. They make an incredible Russian Stout, copper/pale ale called Red Seal that gets pretty wide distribution.

Next time you visit Atlanta, check out the Sweetwater tour. Always a good time.

http://www.abc.alabama.gov/wet_dry.aspx

I found the map of Alabama and all the places you can't get draft beer interesting. I grew up in Walker County and the city of Jasper was wet with the county being dry, but they don't have a draft liscense. In Mobile the Hurricane Brewing co is the only place to get any microbrews, with not many restraunts carrying good drafts either. Mellow mushroom is one of your best bets to get a decent draft. Most have the run of the mill bud and miller assortment.

What about Bell's beer? Atlanta just got Two-hearted ale last week and if you've never tried it, I suggest picking up a 6 pack or mini-keg asap.

I tried the two-hearted ale last week at the local Taco Mac, along with Bells Best Brown Ale. They were both pretty good. I don't think I've had a Bells that I didn't like.

If you like IPA, try Smuttynose. I'm giving you a fair warning though, it's not for the faint at heart.

One thing I hope you have picked up from this is that different people have different tastes. Like beauty, it is in the eye (taste buds) of the beholder. I went for years drinking whatever beer it had been the longest since I drank some. There were quite a few less beers to choose from back then.

The thing that I dislike is folks that become beer snobs. Let the wine folks be snobbish, but not good ol' beer drinkers. You should respect others taste in beer as well as your own.

One thing I hope you have picked up from this is that different people have different tastes. Like beauty, it is in the eye (taste buds) of the beholder. I went for years drinking whatever beer it had been the longest since I drank some. There were quite a few less beers to choose from back then.

The thing that I dislike is folks that become beer snobs. Let the wine folks be snobbish, but not good ol' beer drinkers. You should respect others taste in beer as well as your own.

Of course people have different tastes, but beer making is every bit an artform that wine making is. Some take great care in choosing good ingredients, watching closely over the process and bringing out distinctive characteristics in different styles of beer. And then there's just the assembly line, mass-produced, cheaply made junk coming out of a lot of American macrobreweries. Instead of good hops and malts and barley and such, they use cheaper hops and malts and add adjunct ingredients like rice or corn to sweeten the taste. They focus group the thing and strip out all the distinctive flavors of the beer until you're left with a mass market, least common denominator brew. It's the boy band/Britney Spears of beers...sugary and unoriginal.

I can respect some tastes even if I don't like them or they aren't my favorite. I'm just not a fan of IPAs. They're very bitter and I prefer a milder hop flavor and when I'm in the mood for a heavier beer, something dark and malty with very little hop characteristics at all. But I recognize IPAs are something of an acquired taste perhaps. Most macrobrew lagers on the market aren't an acquired taste, they just aren't very good. They're just cheap and found anywhere.

I don't think that's snobby, but some may.

What about Bell's beer? Atlanta just got Two-hearted ale last week and if you've never tried it, I suggest picking up a 6 pack or mini-keg asap.

I tried the two-hearted ale last week at the local Taco Mac, along with Bells Best Brown Ale. They were both pretty good. I don't think I've had a Bells that I didn't like.

If you like IPA, try Smuttynose. I'm giving you a fair warning though, it's not for the faint at heart.

I enjoyed the Smuttynose IPA. One of the better brews they put out. That make this god awful fruit beer called Hanami I think that I tried first and turned me off on the whole brewery.

If you're a big fan of the IPA, I suggest trying the Mikkeller series of single hop profile beers. I belive they make a warrior, simcoe and cascade brews that taste like the hops in the most basic fashion.

As for Taco Mac, I love the selection of stuff they get and it's cool to go to a place to watch a game but i'm not a fan of their food. While I love the Brick Store and what all it brings, being that i'm posting on a sports message board I obviously love sports and would like to see a game on TV on a Saturday afternoon as opposed to hanging around with a bunch of hipsters talking about Chuck Klosterman books.

Archived