All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nut brown ale is great. RIR have you tried their Oatmeal Stout?

I got a 6 pack of the Highland Oatmeal Porter and it's not quite as good from the bottle as it was the other night on tap. But it's still solid.

I also got a 6 of the Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I had one and it was decent. I had never tried any Rogues. Is this the right one to get? Or do they sell something else that I should be sampling?

They had the Oatmeal Stout but I opted for the Nut Brown Ale. I'll have to try it next.

Samual Smiths Nut Brown Ale - Brown ales are slightly sweeter than the above and rarely bitter. I taste caramel and hazelnuts when drinking this one.

Picked up a 4-pack. Pretty good. Much more drinkable than the IPA I had the other week.

Glad you enjoyed the Brown Ale. I love the dry/crisp note this one has. It is also less sweet than most. As for IPA's, they are definitely an acquired taste. But, some are oh so good.

Ok a regular Miller lite drinker here. When I feel uppity it's Yueng Ling or Corona. I bought a 4 pk. of Samuel Adams Imperial White last night. I drank 2 and they sucked. Decided to give a 2nd chance tonight and actually found it very good. Must be an acquired taste. I do plan on trying more suggestions from this thread.

Had several new beers over the holidays:

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout - Unique stout with a strong coffee flavor (actually brewed with coffee and chicory). Very smooth and not overpowering in any one flavor. Tasted coffee, chocolate and licorice. Pretty good beer.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid - Double IPA. When I poured it, I thought I was shopping for Christmas trees again. Very piney aroma. Taste was not as strong as I thought it would have been, but extremely well balanced with a hoppiness, citrus and a hint of malty sweetness. I really liked this beer.

Bells Expedition Stout - Wow. The most complex beer I have ever had. If you like real beer, you must try this one. Poured pitch black with no light coming through. Small reddish head that quickly dissipated. Aroma was chocolate, coffee, berries, roasted malts and on and on. Taste was coffee, bitter chocolate, floral and slighlty malty (not too sweet and not too bitter). Very nice warming sensation on the tongue from the alcohol (which is extremely well hidden). Possibly the best beer I have ever tried.

Ok a regular Miller lite drinker here. When I feel uppity it's Yueng Ling or Corona. I bought a 4 pk. of Samuel Adams Imperial White last night. I drank 2 and they sucked. Decided to give a 2nd chance tonight and actually found it very good. Must be an acquired taste. I do plan on trying more suggestions from this thread.

I actually prefer the regular Sam Adams White Ale over the Imperial White.

On another note, I tried the Sam Adams Noble Pils from that Brewmasters multipack last night. Hated it. I just don't like Pilsners. Poured it out after a couple of swallows and got me a SA Boston Ale. Much better.

Had one of these Harpoon Winter Warmers tonight. Strong Ale with Nutmeg and Cinnamon. It's not terrible, but a sipping beer at that worth a try.

Stored in the fridge but tasted better in the glass as it warmed up a bit.

winterwarmer.gif

Found out something tonight, go to the liqour stores in Mobile to get High Gravity Beer. Most of the restraunts have the old Wine and beer license which was up to 5%. Picked up a 6 pack of the Tommy Knocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale some good stuff, didn't realize they are 9% alcohol. They had some 4 Packs of Tommy Knocker Oaked will grab that next time. The Nut brown ale is 9.99 a six pack.

• 3 weeks later...

BG, did you mention a Pecan Nut Brown Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewery once?

I was fortunate enough to be in the beautiful state of Mississippi this past week for a couple of days :blink: and got to try this one from tap. Pretty good brown ale. I have never seen these for sale anywhere in or around Atlanta, though.

Went to Fresh Market and made my own six-pack. The rundown:

Spaten Optimator - Really nice doppelbock (double bock). Dark, smooth, a hint of sweetness but enough bite to keep it balanced. Got 2 of these on BG's recommendation and was very pleased.

Flying Dog Porter - This is one of my favorite porters. Great roasted, smoky malt flavor with a hint of bitterness on the end.

Harpoon Winter Warmer - A dark malty lager with cinnamon and nutmeg. Hated it. Poured half down the drain. The cinnamon overpowers it and doesn't taste like real cinnamon. More like cinnamon syrup you taste in a Red Hot. Blech.

Sierra Nevada Stout - Nice dark, heavy stout. More bitter than Sam Adams Cream Stout with pronounced alcohol tones. Much better than Guinness.

Anchor Liberty Ale - Same folks that make Anchor Steam Beer. Just a classic American Pale Ale...tons of great floral hop flavor but not to IPA levels. It was a great contrast to the dark malty beers in the rest of the pack. I loved it. Might be my favorite Pale Ale. It's right there with Sierra Nevada for me. Excellent stuff.

I went to the World Beer festival in Columbia, South Carolina last weekend and got my 40 bucks worth of beer. Highlights include Foothills Sexual Chocolate

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11036/35284

Jack Daniels aged Coast Blackbeerd

http://www.coastbrewing.com/beers.php

And a slew of others. Atlanta has gotten a big shipment of Founders and i've sampled their IPA, whiskey aged strong ale and porter....all were awesome. Bell's finally sent us some brew called HopSlam which clocks in at 10% abv and is rather awesome. An extremly hoppy IPA with a bit of honey.

I don't know if anyone here lives in the Tampa/South Florida area but if you can get your hands on some Cigar City...please do. I'll be willing to trade. I've had the Bolita Brown, two Humidor series IPA and a Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout. All awesome beers.

What new stuff are y'all getting in Alabama?

And a slew of others. Atlanta has gotten a big shipment of Founders and i've sampled their IPA, whiskey aged strong ale and porter....all were awesome. Bell's finally sent us some brew called HopSlam which clocks in at 10% abv and is rather awesome. An extremly hoppy IPA with a bit of honey.

I've been looking for the HopSlam around N. GA. No luck yet. I guess I'm going to have to go to Atlanta. Finally found the Expedition Stout a few weeks ago, though. Lets just say, I am having a hard time trying to save a few for later.

Finally tried the La Fin Du Monde. Egh. Not my favorite from Unibroue. Lots of carbonation. Smelled of yeast and fruit. Tasted a little like a sweet white wine with hints of orange and a little spice.

I've been looking for the HopSlam around N. GA. No luck yet. I guess I'm going to have to go to Atlanta. Finally found the Expedition Stout a few weeks ago, though. Lets just say, I am having a hard time trying to save a few for later.

Finally tried the La Fin Du Monde. Egh. Not my favorite from Unibroue. Lots of carbonation. Smelled of yeast and fruit. Tasted a little like a sweet white wine with hints of orange and a little spice.

Only place i've seen Hopslam was Greens on Buford Highway. 14 bucks a 6 pack so enjoy them slowly.

Only place i've seen Hopslam was Greens on Buford Highway. 14 bucks a 6 pack so enjoy them slowly.

Found some HopSlams! If I had to choose between them and Expedition Stouts, I think I would go with the HopSlams. Extremely well balanced for an Imperial IPA. The honey seems to dissipate the bitter aftertaste usually associated with big IPAs. Smelled like a ruby red grapefruit, and was also the first taste I noticed. Noticed some piney flavors as well. Wow. This one is good.

germany_spaten.jpg

Had one of these tonight out of my Winter Christmas Box, very tasty lager full bodied from Germany.

I believe this has been mentioned before but hands-down the best beer selection I've seen in Birmingham is Highland Package Store. The selection is intense and almost intimidating. They have separate refrigerated sections for High Gravities, Ales, Lagers, Imports, Domestics, etc. Plus more on draft. They even sell singles, which is nice for amateurs like me who are still trying to figure out what they like. Not your typical package store, to say the least.

I picked up a four-pack of the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and really enjoyed it, even more than the Nut Brown Ale. Whoever, tossed out that recommendation - thanks and you were spot on. Good stuff.

I almost went for the Chimay but I had no idea where to even start, all three choices: Chimay Red, Chimay Triple, Chimay Blue.

Anyways, if you're in B'ham and love beer, you need to check the place out. Best bet by far.

Highland also sells high gravity beer by the gallon.

If you're going Chimay, I say start with the red, it's the best. The white is my least favorite, but it's still good.

I have just recently developed a taste for the IPAs. A newer one out there is Terrapin's Hopsecutioner. It is really well balanced and has a great taste, I think. I am also a fan of SweetWater's IPA.

(I am new to this site, and just registered today.) B)

:au:

I've been watching a show on Hulu called "Beer Nutz" Its a great show, they travel to different cities and visit Beer Spots. There is also a show on Hulu called Three Sheets, they are more focused on Alcohol but it's entertaining as well.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=beer+nuts&st=0

I have just recently developed a taste for the IPAs. A newer one out there is Terrapin's Hopsecutioner. It is really well balanced and has a great taste, I think. I am also a fan of SweetWater's IPA.

(I am new to this site, and just registered today.) B)

:au:

Welcome Tungsten. Great to have you here.

Archived