All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

I have just recently developed a taste for the IPAs. A newer one out there is Terrapin's Hopsecutioner. It is really well balanced and has a great taste, I think. I am also a fan of SweetWater's IPA.

(I am new to this site, and just registered today.) B)

:au:

Welcome...I think you are in the minority with myself, and select few, that realize how great IPA's are.

My top IPA's:

Bells HopSlam

Bells Two Hearted Ale

Victory HopWallop

Victory HopDevil

Stone IPA

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oldie but goodie....picked up some Anchor Steam Beer this week. Forgot how good that stuff was.

Check out the Beer Nutz episode on Hulu about San Fransisco. The Anchor Steam Brewmaster Owner is the Godfather of Craft Beer Making. He's a Cult God among the Brewers.

I saw the movie "Beer Wars" the other night. If you have netflix, I suggest you pick it up. You'll look at the big brew guys in a different light.

I'll never drink an anheuser busch product again in my life.

In terms of beer talk...If y'all get Sierra Nevada's barley wine called "Bigfoot" give it a shot this year. I was good for two of them and that's all I need. I'm going to save the other 4 and let them age for a 8-10 months. Great beer but a bit too raw at this point.

Recently tried a couple beers from a brewer that is new to me - Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Founders Backwoods Bastard - This one is a Scotch Ale (first delve into this style). Tasted lots of malt, caramel, vanilla and bourbon. Almost reminded me of a Manhattan without the bitters. Definitely a sipper, but a very good and unique brew.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, oats and chocolate. Oh my. This one was phenominal. Smooth as silk with pronounced bitterness from the chocolate, hops and coffee. One of the easiest drinking imperial stouts I have had. Im usually turned off by beer brewed with chocolate, but this is one exception. The chocolate flavor only appeared at the tail end, and was more bitter than sweet.

Anyone else ever had any beers from Founders?

I had another Unibroue brew this week: La Fin Du Monde. It's a Belgian Tripel. Reminds me a bit of a wheat beer: golden, cloudy, big foamy head. Definite citrus and fruit overtones. Lots of carbonation...almost champagne-like. Sweet finish with a hint of a mediciny/spicy taste I didn't care for. Overall not bad, but not something I'd probably purchase again for the money. Much prefer Maudite from this brewer.

Lots of new stuff coming through Atlanta. The Founders collection has been rather awesome. Found out they're actually sending us some of the seasonal collections so hopefully we'll get their Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Supposed to go and pick up some 4 pack of a brew called Nemesis this week. I'm not sure what to make of it being that this is the description.

“The 2009 release of Nemesis is best described as a Maple Bourbon barrel aged wheat wine holding 12% abv and 70 ibu’s. The barrels have been resting deep in the mines of Grand Rapids for nearly 9 months and have been most effective in developing a great product. The Bourbon barrels we used in this creation were once used to age Maple syrup from northern Michigan, then emptied, and procured for our use in aging this beer. The combination of American oak, Kentucky Bourbon, Michigan Maple syrup and our golden/tan wheat ale has provided a delicious malty sweet ale distinctive of strong vanilla and bourbon notes.”

12% alcohol as well.

I still can't say enough about Cigar City brews. I tried their Marshal Zhukov’s Imperial Stout. I honestly liked it more the Bells Expedition Stout. It malty, smokey, and had a bit of alcohol taste but nothing stood out about it, in a good way. Lite taste of coffee, chocolate, and goodness. My friend i'm trading with also hooked me up with these two

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-improvisacion-oatmeal-rye-india-brown-ale/95112/

I have no idea what and Indian Rye Oatmeal Brown ale will taste like but i'm willing to try. This other one sounded even more interseting.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-warmer-winter-winter-warmer/114742/

A old ale with american hop varietals that has a complex citrus and caramelized toffee aroma and underlying notes of chocolate.

Alabama getting anything new/interseting?

I may have to steal a Nemesis from you. Haven't seen them around yet, but the Founders I've had so far have been great. Tried the Backwoods Bastard, Breakfast Stout and Reds Rye P.A. All were great, especially the Breakfast Stout. I also want to try the Devil Dancer Imperial IPA, but no luck finding it. I take it your trading with someone in FL for the Cigar City beers?

Grabbed a sixer of Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale and having one right now. Mmmmmmmmm.

Also grabbed an individual of Chimay Red that I'll try maybe tomorrow.

BTW, where's a good place to get some glassware for different kinds of beer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I may have to steal a Nemesis from you. Haven't seen them around yet, but the Founders I've had so far have been great. Tried the Backwoods Bastard, Breakfast Stout and Reds Rye P.A. All were great, especially the Breakfast Stout. I also want to try the Devil Dancer Imperial IPA, but no luck finding it. I take it your trading with someone in FL for the Cigar City beers?

Si.

They sell Cigar City as far North as Jacksonville. I've been hounding my friends in the beer industry to get on the distribution companies about picking then up. Bells, Stone, Dogfish, Lagunitas have done great in this market and i'd love for Atlanta to get another great maker into the mix. For as much as people hype Sweetwater/Terrapin around these parts, Cigar's products i've tried have put the locals stuff to shame.

Sweetwater just put out a Quad which I enjoyed. A bit sweet compared to some traditional quads but of the Dank Tank series, i'd put it a notch below the Donkey Punch and a few notches above the other stuff they've released.

Got the Nememsis today. The bargin price of 18 dollars. Ehh, is what it is. I'll try one tomorrow. Sending one off to a friend. Might try another then cellar the last one. Talking to my friends, the most local beer stores got was 2 cases and most just put it under lock and key.

Grabbed a sixer of Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale and having one right now. Mmmmmmmmm.

Also grabbed an individual of Chimay Red that I'll try maybe tomorrow.

BTW, where's a good place to get some glassware for different kinds of beer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

ebay.

Drank the Chimay Blue tonight. Still have the red and white from my giftpack. The beer was an easy drinker for 9% alcohol. Key is to use a glass that will let it breathe and let it sit at about 50 degrees to warm up a little so that you will get the full taste. Not too hoppy or bitter very smooth surprised me.

Drank the Chimay Blue tonight. Still have the red and white from my giftpack. The beer was an easy drinker for 9% alcohol. Key is to use a glass that will let it breathe and let it sit at about 50 degrees to warm up a little so that you will get the full taste. Not too hoppy or bitter very smooth surprised me.

While I really enjoy the blue, I'll be shocked if you post that you liked it more than the red after you try that one. Red is by far my favorite high grav.

Anybody know of a good high grav stout or oatmeal porter I could try?

Sweetwater just put out a Quad which I enjoyed. A bit sweet compared to some traditional quads but of the Dank Tank series, i'd put it a notch below the Donkey Punch and a few notches above the other stuff they've released.

I actually picked up a bottle of the BSP Quad last night also. It was pretty decent. If I had to choose, I would probably drink this over Three Philosophers. They didn't overpower it with any one fruit, like Three Philosophers did with cherries. I think of cough syrup every time I try it.

Also tried Founders Centennial IPA. Another good one from Founders. Very drinkable IPA, with lots of floral and citrus flavors. Bells has some competition up in Michigan.

Anybody know of a good high grav stout or oatmeal porter I could try?

If you can find it, Bell's Expedition Stout is an extremely good Imperial Stout. Stone Imperial Russian Stout is also very good and a seems to be easier to find.

The only Oatmeal Porter I've had was from Highland. It was OK, but not a favorite.

Drank the Chimay Red tonight. Great Ale, but I liked the Blue a little better, maybe because I'm an Auburn fan. Red was very smooth and had a nice aftertaste, tasted a nutmeg flavor on the bottom end. Recommended to drink at 50 some odd degrees. Tastes completely different from cold out of the fridge to a little warm. Overall Either the Red or Blue Chimay is a great try for a High Gravity beer. I still have the white to try.

Wow. After reading this thread I am amazed. $9.99 a six pack? That's an 18 pack of SouthPaw......

And at The Kroger here in Atlanta, you can make your own 6 pack for about 8.99 I think. Decent selection too.

Wow. After reading this thread I am amazed. $9.99 a six pack? That's an 18 pack ofSouthPaw urine......

FTFY

Damn, Chimay Red is good.

Did you drink it warm or cold? I feel like BZ likes his microwaved...

I emailed the sales director for Sweetwater Brewing this weekend to let them know that they had some cases of out of date 420 at Sams Club in Mobile. They were stacked on top of the new shipment and people not paying attention would buy an ood case. Pretty cool I got a personal email back and saw where he cc'd the distributor for the area. If you haven't tried it the 420 and the Blue are two great choices.

Had an Ommegang Abbey Ale. It's a Belgian dubbel like Chimay Red. And I'd say it's at least as good as that if not better. Awesome. And better than the Ommegang Three Philosophers.

I've recently rounded out the local selection of Founders beers with the Double Trouble IPA. If you don't enjoy a bitter finish to a beer, then I probaly wouldn't recommend this one. However, I do and this one was pretty tasty. I picked up a mango flavor at first, then lots of grapefruit and the final bitter bite at the end. Not as good as Bells HopSlam, but I would purchase it again. I've really enjoyed all the Founders I have had recently.

Also had a few Dale's Pale Ale. Good beer does come in a can. If you have never tried any of the beers from Oskar Blues I highly recommend Dale's Pale and also their Ten FIDY Imperial Stout (Ten FIDY because it pours as black as 10W-50 motor oil, but oh so good.)

Archived