Does Auburn have a chance at Anderson?

RunInRed

This guy doesn't think so...

Ask a beat writer: Does Auburn have a chance at Mike Anderson?

ANDREW GRIBBLE

Auburn University Beat Reporter

AUBlog: Do you truly think he’d take a marginal raise to return to his home state?

Walentik: No. I don’t. I think Auburn might be a worse situation than Georgia, though the new arena there might make things better. But he’d still be starting over, when he can remain fairly well compensated where he’s at, playing in a 6-year-old arena in a better conference with a top-15 recruiting class set to arrive on campus in the fall on the heels of back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances. Again, I think Anderson could decide to leave Missouri at some point for more money and a better job, but I personally don’t think Auburn’s a better job, and I’m not sure he does either.

http://www2.oanow.com/oan/oasports/ask_a_beat_writer_does_auburn_have_a_chance_at_mike_anderson/138171/

04199c54ece84bba838258b87ea1ddb8.jpg

I don't want him. He had a chance 6 years ago and wouldn't make the drive to auburn from birmingham. forget him and move on to other BETTER coaches.

This guy doesn't think so...

Ask a beat writer: Does Auburn have a chance at Mike Anderson?

ANDREW GRIBBLE

Auburn University Beat Reporter

AUBlog: Do you truly think he’d take a marginal raise to return to his home state?

Walentik: No. I don’t. I think Auburn might be a worse situation than Georgia, though the new arena there might make things better. But he’d still be starting over, when he can remain fairly well compensated where he’s at, playing in a 6-year-old arena in a better conference with a top-15 recruiting class set to arrive on campus in the fall on the heels of back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances. Again, I think Anderson could decide to leave Missouri at some point for more money and a better job, but I personally don’t think Auburn’s a better job, and I’m not sure he does either.

http://www2.oanow.com/oan/oasports/ask_a_beat_writer_does_auburn_have_a_chance_at_mike_anderson/138171/

04199c54ece84bba838258b87ea1ddb8.jpg

I think that Mizzou is definitely a better place for a successful basketball coach to be. They don't like their basketball as much as we like football but it isn't that far behind. Columbia is also a nice place to live as long as he doesn't mind the winters. Unless he wants to get back to the South I don't think he would leave for Auburn for a little more money. Would we offer a LOT more money?

It's been reported that he turned down UGA's offer of 2.1 mill/year. I don't see us offering significantly more than that.

Part two is I don't want Anderson here, no way / no how. If a guy is going to act like a jerk before you hire him, what are you going to have on your hands after he's hired? :thumbsdown:

IMO auburn sells itself. The more time you spend there the more time you want to spend there. Point being if he's the best candidate and we CAN land him, get him and he'll probably come off his high horse and fall in love w/ AU & AU folks. AU compensates success (and in the case of Chizk & staff, potential success) and so as long as he isn't somebody that can't handle pressure (e.g. Tator tot) and he WINS (which our basketball has done historically and recently) he'll probably BECOME an AU man (read: a good fit). We can't control it if the NBA or a blue chip program comes calling later but that's always the case.

I'm also in the camp that most winning coaches in contact sports (including basketball in that definition) are jerks and so long as they play by the rules and don't dishonor Auburn (and being surly a post game interview doesn't dishonor Auburn IMO), they shouldn't be scratched off the list just b/c they're jerks or not CURRENTLY bleeding auburn. I disagree w/ the "he had his chance" school of thought.

Archived