Letter to students from Tony Barbee

Auburn 6

Dear Auburn Students,

As your new head basketball coach, I am thrilled about the opportunity to represent you and this great university at such an exciting time for Auburn basketball. When I accepted this job, I knew there would be challenges, but what struck me the most was the tremendous potential of this program with everything Auburn has to offer. The university, the community and the fan base are all top notch, and the new state-of-the-art Auburn Arena demonstrates a commitment to this program that will help us take Auburn basketball to new heights.

As your head coach, I promise to stay true to the Auburn Creed as I believe in work, hard work. With that said, my staff and I will not be outworked as we bring the Auburn Family what they deserve. I will give my all in every aspect of the job, from recruiting and coaching to promoting the program. I will do everything in my power to produce a winning program and change the culture of Auburn basketball.

I challenge you, the Auburn students, to create a real excitement around Auburn basketball. You are a part of the team, and I need you there at every game to make Auburn Arena the best home court advantage in the SEC.

You are critical to our success, and there has not been a more significant period to turn this program around than now. The administration shares my feelings, as the design of Auburn Arena prioritizes the experience of the students.

The Auburn Arena caters to students in every way and is designed to create an intimidating home court advantage. Very few students throughout the entire nation will enjoy the same amenities that this new arena will present to you. You will have your own private entrance to the arena, concourse area, restrooms and concession stand. As students, you will have the best seats in the building. The student section will surround three sides of the court on the floor level. You will have an effect on the game like never before, and our atmosphere will be contingent on you. With your help, I truly believe we can have a great basketball atmosphere.

I know we can accomplish all of our goals together. I cannot express how excited I am to be your new coach. I look forward to the next few months as we build enthusiasm for next season and beyond.

War Eagle!

Tony Barbee

Head Men's Basketball Coach

Whoever the Auburn students are on here have a responsibility to start a new day with Auburn basketball.

Be proactive - put it on your facebook wall when you are going to a game, bring a group, use it as a date opportunity, ask people in class 'hey-you going to the game tonight'.

Make Auburn basketball games an EVENT.

The responsibility is yours Auburn students. The alumni can buy seats in the boxes all they want - but if the students aren't there, screaming, and going crazy, it wont matter.

I hope students respond. I loved going to games and sitting under the opponents warm-up basket. We harassed the hell out of guys from the other team face to face. I've been cussed out by Keith Bogans. I've seen Rod Grizzard get so mad that his eyes welled-up. I've left my seat for fear that Udonis Haslem was going to pummel either me or my friend. These are EASILY the most fun seats in the house. No question. Students should embrace the chance to mess with the other team.

I do find it funny that they're selling student seating on "three sides of the court on the floor level." Um, how is that different than what we had? The student seating areas were under each basket and floor level behind press row. So that's the same. The new arena is very, very exciting and about 800 times better than Beard-Eaves, but the student seating on floor level is not new.

Students: go to the games! It's fun. Basketball is the second best spectator sport in America! You can interact with players. You can actually be heard (literally, if you wait until it's quiet you can crack a joke for all to hear). You can affect the visiting teams. That's something that you really can't do in college baseball (outside of Dudy-Noble Field in Starkville and MAYBE one or two other places... you just don't get enough crowd noise to matter in open air stadiums). You can't do it at swim meets (too quick). You can't do it at soccer games (not big enough crowds). But you CAN do it in basketball. So GO. You can help us win. That should be enough to get you to the game.

Hopefully they will move the student section to the tv side of the arena like Duke does. It just looks better than empty alumni seats and people sitting down casually watching the game.

I agree! We have to be loud and proud. I'm one of the few Alumni who actually yell at the games, and the people around me just look at me like I'm some kind of a freak (easy people ;)). It's also why I don't take advantage of my staff tickets for football season. The people around me are way to quiet. Let's get after it! :thumbsup:

I hope students respond. I loved going to games and sitting under the opponents warm-up basket. We harassed the hell out of guys from the other team face to face. I've been cussed out by Keith Bogans. I've seen Rod Grizzard get so mad that his eyes welled-up. I've left my seat for fear that Udonis Haslem was going to pummel either me or my friend. These are EASILY the most fun seats in the house. No question. Students should embrace the chance to mess with the other team.

I do find it funny that they're selling student seating on "three sides of the court on the floor level." Um, how is that different than what we had? The student seating areas were under each basket and floor level behind press row. So that's the same. The new arena is very, very exciting and about 800 times better than Beard-Eaves, but the student seating on floor level is not new.

Students: go to the games! It's fun. Basketball is the second best spectator sport in America! You can interact with players. You can actually be heard (literally, if you wait until it's quiet you can crack a joke for all to hear). You can affect the visiting teams. That's something that you really can't do in college baseball (outside of Dudy-Noble Field in Starkville and MAYBE one or two other places... you just don't get enough crowd noise to matter in open air stadiums). You can't do it at swim meets (too quick). You can't do it at soccer games (not big enough crowds). But you CAN do it in basketball. So GO. You can help us win. That should be enough to get you to the game.

Nope, the student section was along one side and behind one basket. The other basket was for media and recruits and never seemed to have more than 10 people in the entire section, even when the rest of the stadium was relatively full. The student section at BEMC was bad for many other reasons, though. The new stadium is going to make it seem like the court is completely surrounded by students.

Students free the first season?

Sounds like a great plan. Show an ID, get in free until the student capacity is reached. Then open the flood gates for whatever is left at halftime.

Would students show up, even if it was free?

Indytiger, false. The section for recruits and media was the section just above floor level behind the opponents' warm-up basket. The floor level seats on that side were student seating, first-come first-serve. I sat there nearly every game for five years. It was less populated with students because it was opposite the pep band, but it was still student seating. The Dunkin' Darlings were seated to the left (if you face the court), recruits were in the section just above.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Those were great seats. I hope they're still student seats, and I hope students take advantage of the chance to talk a little trash.

Archived