News on Cothron?

rtftiger

"PF Luke Cothron has committed to Auburn and will sign Wed. Stay tuned for more..."

From Bryan Matthews via Twitter.

Here's the story.

Big-time PF commits

cothron1+410.jpg

Tony Barbee has struck again.

Just two weeks after landing the state of Alabama’s top player, Auburn’s new head coach has landed one of the nation’s top prospects in Red Springs (N.C.) Macdonald Academy forward Luke Cothron.

“Everything is a go,” Macdonald head coach Derrick Bond said. “He enjoyed his visit and he’s going to be signing on Wednesday. He’s excited about being an Auburn Tiger.”

Cothron, who is originally from Huntsville, Ala., chose Auburn over Connecticut, Tennessee and N.C. State. He is rated by several recruiting sites as one of the nation's Top 100 prospects.

“He’s very happy to get this over with,” Bond said. “At the end of the day he wanted to make sure he made the right decision. Once he got down there and saw the opportunity that was presented to him, I think he became very at ease.

“He was looking for that fit at the next level similar to what he had here at Flora Macdonald and I think he’s found it with Coach Barbee and at Auburn University.”

Cothron visited Auburn this weekend and Barbee made a big impression.

“He really liked how Coach Barbee explained to him the direction the program was going,” Bond said. “He was really impressed with the facilities, the fan base.

“It’s just an exciting time down there to be an Auburn Tiger. It’s a new direction, a breath of fresh air. Sometimes change is good.”

As a senior, the 6-foot-8, 205-pound Cothron averaged approximately 30 points and 13 rebounds.

“He’s one of the best back-to-the-basket, 4 guys out there,” Bond said. “He’s very skilled, shoots at a high level and is very mobile and agile. He can score with either hand on the block.

“He has a little bit of Tim Duncan but an aggressive style of basketball to go with it. When it’s all said and done I think he will be one of the better ones to come through Auburn University.”

Bond expects Cothron to be a full qualifier.

“He should be there,” Bond said. “He’s working hard to close out the year. I anticipate him being there and I anticipate him being a contributor from day one.”

Huntsville (Ala.) Lee forward Josh Langford, who is rated the state's top prospect by the Birmingham News, signed with Auburn April 22.

Sounds good. Cothron joining Langford on The Plains would be terrific.

Coach Barbee is off to one heck of a start! Now just go round us up a point guard, Coach, and move from A to A+ for your first few weeks on the job.

I can't help but be impressed with how Barbee is recruiting and the instant buzz he has injected into this program. This could get fun...

How much do y'all think the new arena has to do w/ this?

The new Auburn Arena is a definite plus. :cheer: Coach Barbee's enthusiasm and charisma add to the draw. :cheer: :cheer:

WDE!

It makes some difference. However, I do not think Coach Lebo would have signed these two guys, new arena or not.

Langford in particular made a statement that he'd always liked Auburn but Auburn hadn't contacted him before Barbee's arrival. I don't understand that. I thought earlier, when Bledsoe at UK said Auburn didn't contact him that Bledsoe was exaggerating or simply lying. Now I'm not so sure.

Ironically, Langford said that Lebo started recruiting him to East Carolina but he said he wasn't interested partly because Lebo didn't pay much attention to him when he was at Auburn. Go figure.

Ironically, Langford said that Lebo started recruiting him to East Carolina but he said he wasn't interested partly because Lebo didn't pay much attention to him when he was at Auburn. Go figure.

That is very weird!

Signed NLI...

Huntsville's Luke Cothron Signs With Auburn

Joins Langford as Barbee's first signees

AUBURN - One of the nation's premier prospects, Luke Cothron, a 6-foot-9, 218-pound power forward from Huntsville has signed a national letter of intent to attend Auburn University and play basketball in 2010-11, head coach Tony Barbee announced Thursday.

Cothron, who is the No. 45 overall recruit in the country and No. 11 power forward in the final Rivals.com rankings, averaged 31 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks per game as a senior last year for Flora Macdonald Academy in Red Springs, N.C., for coach Derrick Bond.

He totaled 43 points and 17 rebounds in a 95-73 win over Quality Education Academy as a junior and then had 41 points and 19 rebounds against Word of God Christian Academy and former Kentucky All-American John Wall. Cothron helped the Cougars to a 22-10 record and the state playoffs in 2008-09.

"Luke gives us a different level of talent," said Barbee. "He is an immediate difference maker for us along the frontline. He is a guy who has the ability to score the ball in a variety of ways inside and outside. He has a knack for being around the ball which makes him a great rebounder.

"We are happy to have Luke join our Auburn Family, but he also fits into the family structure in the things that matter to me in that he wants to be a part of a winner in building something special. He is going to go a long way in helping us reach those goals while at the same time, we will help him reach his."

Read more...

More good news for the program. Barbee has generated a buzz very quickly. He has made progress recruiting much quicker than I expected.

More good news for the program. Barbee has generated a buzz very quickly. He has made progress recruiting much quicker than I expected.

Indeed. I have a feeling some good days are ahead for the program...

It makes some difference. However, I do not think Coach Lebo would have signed these two guys, new arena or not.

Langford in particular made a statement that he'd always liked Auburn but Auburn hadn't contacted him before Barbee's arrival. I don't understand that. I thought earlier, when Bledsoe at UK said Auburn didn't contact him that Bledsoe was exaggerating or simply lying. Now I'm not so sure.

Lebo didn't recruit north Alabama because he got into a peeing contest with some AAU local big wheel in Huntsville. Better to let this die a natural death. We have the new guy on board. Time to keep more AU roundball presence here and we'll get some good ones.

Lebo didn't recruit north Alabama because he got into a peeing contest with some AAU local big wheel in Huntsville. Better to let this die a natural death. We have the new guy on board. Time to keep more AU roundball presence here and we'll get some good ones.

The AAU guy is Mark Komara. I've never heard the version where Lebo got into a peeing contest, just the part where the NCAA(falsely) named Komara a "Representative of Auburn's Athletic Interests" back when Cliff Ellis was Auburn's coach. What have you heard that's different?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe our 2 new signees played for Komora. I think they may have played AAU ball with a team out of Georgia.

Two things you will never hear in media outlets reported is Komara was and for all we still know doing shady stuff.I dont want to name it cause this post will probably be deleted if I do...The NCAA wanted to nail him and used Auburn to do it. Komara is more then likely dirty but the notion he was a representative for AU is a joke. He hates Auburn.

Secondly, despite what anyone will say AU having a shoe contract with Under Armor has hurt them in recruiting. Go do a quick check what shoe company does UTEP have a deal with Nike and Barbee was recruiting Langford at least while at UTEP, Langford's AAU team is also sponsored by Nike. The Nike connection is what allowed Barbee in the door so he had a relationship with Langford before he took the AU job without that not sure he gets him.

The thing people fail to realize if you are a high profile prospect on an AAU team sponsored by say Nike, that AAU team will direct that kid to attend a college that also has a shoe contract with Nike. Not to be negative but in some ways sadly its modern day slave trading. So in alot of cases have less to say about where they attend college then the AAU teams, AAU coaches and shoe companies that is a fact.

Also further evidence is anyone notice that Maryland won the national title in 2002 and since they go a deal with UA they have not been nearly successful?

The word I am hearing Is I think the contract with Under Armor for Auburn ends this calendar year and they do a split deal Under Armor will have football and hoops may go Nike or another shoe company. I am fine with that while expensive under armor Auburn gear is freakin tight.

This is the real world what Mark Murphy, Phillip Marshall and others fail to report. Why I have always said hoops recruiting is far dirtier then football. You dont have the AAU element in football.

The AAU guy is Mark Komara. I've never heard the version where Lebo got into a peeing contest, just the part where the NCAA(falsely) named Komara a "Representative of Auburn's Athletic Interests" back when Cliff Ellis was Auburn's coach. What have you heard that's different?

Archived