Malzahn and Florida

hikerdns

How interested would a school like Florida be in Gus? Would Malzahn success as OC be enough, or would they want someone with Head Coaching experience too?

Most likely, Mullen to FU, someone else to MSU. Malzahn holds out for a job where you don't have to fight through LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas just for a chance to outfight Florida, Tennessee, Georgia or South Carolina to win a title.

Most likely, Mullen to FU, someone else to MSU. Malzahn holds out for a job where you don't have to fight through LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas just for a chance to outfight Florida, Tennessee, Georgia or South Carolina to win a title.

I dunno, the Malzahn to Florida thought scares the crap out of me.

Wont happen.

Usually I don't care much for metafour's curt replies, but there are so many reasons why this won't happen that "won't happen" is all that needs to be said.

Florida isn't hiring a dude who is 5 years removed from being a HS coach. Malzahn is a terrific offensive coordinator; but Mullen brings a comparable package and has already proven he can:

A ) Be a winning coach in the SEC.

B ) Recruit (he is cleaning Nutt's clock).

I agree Gus would hold out for something else. But would a high profile school like Florida consider him?

Though naive, I hope he sticks around for 5 or so total years. Just wishing.

**Edit: Just saw your reply metafour

What makes you think Florida is going to hand the reins of one of the Top 5 jobs in the country to a coordinator with 3 years of SEC experience when guys like Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly and Chris Petersen are out there with head coaching experience?

Do you think CGM would leave for MSU with all the crap that has happened this past year between AU and MSU,and on top of that the possible crap that might come down on the program? He has seen all this first hand.

I'd be really surprised if Malzahn got an offer from Florida. UF is one of the top 5-10 jobs in the country, they will go after someone with HC experience (unless they were promoting one of their own coordinators, which will obviously not be the case here). Some of the names others have mentioned (Mullen, Peterson, etc) seem most likely.

I do think that there is a chance that Malzahn would get the spot vacated by the new Florida guy.

As I said in a couple of other threads, I really think Gus is gone, I just hope he stays on through the BCS game (and I think he will).

Do you think CGM would leave for MSU with all the crap that has happened this past year between AU and MSU,and on top of that the possible crap that might come down on the program? He has seen all this first hand.

No.

Add to that how hard it is to recruit well enough to fight past LSU, Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas in their own division and then deal with Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and S. Carolina in the other. Gus will get a better opportunity than this.

MSU is a training program for a legitimate upper-tier head coach (ie: a top coach isn't going to stick around there). I think Malzahn would be smart enough to go to a place like West Virginia where the purpose would be the same (to audition for a legitimate program) but the job would be considerably easier. Malzahn could run a train through the Big East at a program like WVU.

Florida won't hire Malzahn. I think you could see Mullen go to UF though, which would leave Miami still scrambling for a coach, and they might go after Malzahn if they exhaust all other options. I think West Virginia could be a real possibility too. I think Malzahn is too smart to go to Vandy or MSU (especially with our little situation going on with MSU).

What makes you think Florida is going to hand the reins of one of the Top 5 jobs in the country to a coordinator with 3 years of SEC experience when guys like Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly and Chris Petersen are out there with head coaching experience?

Rich Rod???? Will Muschamp(Sorry if I spelled that wrong) How funny would it be if the called on Les Miles??

True, Mullen would be perfect for UF. Look @ their coaches over the last 35 years. Urban meyer's 27 player arrests is actually better than the less publicized spurrier player rap sheet. Spurrier was preceded by Galen Hall (huge and plentiful NCAA violations) who was preceded by Charlie Pell (had the only team to ever actually be stripped of an SEC title).

Since the facts (shhh, don't tell the media) point to Miss. State under Mullen being ground zero for ongoing NCAA and FBI investigation, he's PERFECT for UF.

No reason for UF to hire a coach with no HC experience at the FBS level. The Zook hire will ensure that no more OJT takes place in Gainesville.

I see CGM heading to an ACC school when the time is right. Personally I think it would be in his best interest to spend another year learning how to 'manage' a top program. I have NO IDEA who Pittsburgh has in mind but if I were them I'd be interested.

With just finishing what his 5th or 6th year as an OC at the college level, I'm not so sure CGM is ready to make that jump yet. I don't see a major program bringing in a guy with that little of OC experience to be a HC. I might get proven wrong and he might be a great manager, but as far as collegiate experience, it just seems he needs a few more years.

I'm thinking either Chizik or Mullen to Florida. Chizik is Florida Alum, so I wouldn't doubt it one bit if he leaves. If Chizik leaves, I bet Malzahn takes his place at Auburn.

Chizik to Florida???? I don't think so. He's right where he wants to be.

Archived