Pop-Ups!

MDM4AU

I got rid of Mozilla. I was having too many difficulties with it. If I were a little more computer savy I may have kept it, but I got tired of constantly trying to get it to work for me the way I wanted it to.

Now, I am back to using IE. The reason I wanted to try something else out was because of these b@st@rd-spawn-of-satan pop-ups. Adware will not get rid of them and they appear to be "attached" somehow to IE. (I didn't have them w/ Mozilla.) They advertise several different things that are not related. Some pop-up with nothing on them. Just a tab on the bottom of my screen. They pop-up usually when I start IE. Sometimes it is when I close down IE, but not as much.

I was told it may be from something I have downloaded at some point that is tied to IE. The only thing I can think of is my wifes MP3 software. Maybe even something she downloaded off the net for her lesson plans (she puts her lessons on Power Point).

Does anyone here know how I can get rid of them? They aren't causing a problem, really, just very annoying.

I would really appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer.

I'm not sure what it could be. I think its just internet related b/c i had gotten rid of pop ups. Ran spyware all the time that they had disappeared but now im covered in them again. Spybot nor Adaware are getting rid of them........

What kind of difficulties were you having with Mozilla?

I was having trouble getting downloads to work, media players, etc. weren't recognized, scroll wheel on my mouse wouldn't work on some screens, those are the main ones. For instance, if I go to secsports.com, there is supposed to be a scrolling scoreboard on the right hand side of the home page. On Mozilla it wouldn't work and had some sort of "plug-in" message I think. I couldn't get any live audio of AUNetwork or The Glenn Beck Program. There are some other things I can't recall at the moment but I just got too frustrated with it for now.

The good things about it are:

NO STUPID POP-UPS

Faster browsing

Pretty much, everything else seemed to be comparable to IE.

Wait a sec. I think I found your problem. It's this:

windows_masthead_ltr.gif

This will fix it:

beautyshotimac17_1103.jpg

You're welcome. :)

Apple was all UAB used. I hated them simply because I am so used to working with a PC. My laptop at work and my home computer are PCs. My laptop is the biggest thing. If I changed to an apple at home, I would go crazy by mid summer. :wacko:

I understand why apples are better for the most part but it just isn't prudent right now for me.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Although, you'd probably be surprised at how fast you'd pick up Mac OS if you used it regularly. I hadn't used an Apple since I can't remember when they plopped one on my desk at work for graphic design stuff. Within a month I was doing just fine. It's nice to be able to buzz through both Windows and Mac whenever needed...but I'm a full fledged Mac evangelist now. I wouldn't switch back for all the rice in China.

Anyway, I'd play around with those Firefox plug-ins and see if that doesn't solve your problem(s).

I believe I got it taken care of. I typed into google: xadsq and found this website:

freedomlist.com

I followed the directions in the second post and so far... :unsure: no pop-ups.

We shall see! <_<

I have loved Firefox since I started using it. I love their Thunderbird e-mail program also. If you are still looking for something to block pop-ups, use Googles toolbar that has a popup blocker. I still use that when I use IE.

Google toolbar with pop-up blocker

I have loved Firefox since I started using it. I love their Thunderbird e-mail program also. If you are still looking for something to block pop-ups, use Googles toolbar that has a popup blocker. I still use that when I use IE.

For some reason, my Google pop-up blocker wasn't helping. :headscratch:

I think you got infected with a parasite of some kind from a program you downloaded. Programs like Gator that purport to be some kind of great password organizer and such will leave you with stupid pop-ups and other add-ons that are like the plague to get rid of. They aren't destructive, just annoying.

Actually Gator is very easy to get rid of. Also very easy to detect on your pc. Go to start, programs and if GAIN is listed, it has been installed on your pc. Click it and open it up and then from there you can do a search and it will tell you what programs you will need to uninstall to get rid of it. I just did this a couple days ago and haven't had a problem since.

For some reason, my Google pop-up blocker wasn't helping. :headscratch:

Hmmm...like the others said, you have some type of parasite because google blocker has always worked well for me. Are you going to the windows update site reguarly to make sure you have the lastest security patches?

I was having the same problem recently. About a year ago, I had installed the paid version of pop up blocker from panicware that someone mentioned above. At first, it worked pretty well, but over the course of a year, it became less and less reliable. In addition, it blocked a lot of new windows that would normally appear when I clicked a link and I had to disable it, open the window, and reenable it. Finally, I gave up and installed the free pop up blocker that is available from microsoft that goes with IE. In the last month, it has blocked 964 pop ups and allowed three to come through; that's not too bad a record for a free program, I think.

Now, I'm looking for a program that will automatically send a very distructive virus back to the computer that was the source of the pop up; hopefully it will be one that will leave the sender's computer in a smoldering heap!!!! j/k of course!

Now, I'm looking for a program that will automatically send a very distructive virus back to the computer that was the source of the pop up; hopefully it will be one that will leave the sender's computer in a smoldering heap!!!! j/k of course!

:lol: Let me know when you find it! :lol:

Now that is a program that would make someone rich! :D

At first, it worked pretty well, but over the course of a year, it became less and less reliable. In addition, it blocked a lot of new windows that would normally appear when I clicked a link and I had to disable it, open the window, and reenable it.

I've only been using it for about six months, but I haven't had the deterioration in reliability you had. As far as it blocking links, usually the only links I have a problem with it blocking are the ones where you are voting on something and it takes you to a "results" screen after you vote. Occasionally, regular links are blocked and I suppose it has to do with how the link is written or something. Disabling it isn't necessary, though. If a link is blocked you merely have to click it again while pressing the "control" key. I know you don't have it anymore, but maybe this will help anyone who does and didn't know.

With Ad-Aware make sure the reference file is up to date. The update for that is built into the file. Also -- check your "add\remove programs" menu and remove any programs you don't recognize as a regular application on the machine.

OK, I loaded Mozilla Firefox, too. So far, so good. I had a little kink with my "home" button on my keyboard but I fixed it. I like it!!!

Archived