Just got screwed

hqsi99

Ticket brokers are worse than lawyers.

Thanks. I'm an attorney by the way. :big:

Then you know how bad they are. ;)

Sounds like you robbed a bank, served time and blamed your lawyer. :poke:

Here's a great deal, but I think I would negotiate the shipping charges! :roflol:

Kinda greedy if you ask me. I'd think he'd knock the shipping down to $5.

Lawyer up like this lawyer did and sue the b*****ds!

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/01/auburn_fan_sues_over_ticket_sn.html

Wow, according to the article not only did they fail to provide his tickets, but they are still selling tickets to others, just at a higher price. So they didn't "run out" they just thought they could get more from someone else so they failed to send him the goods AFTER charging his credit card. I hope he gets his damages plus some punitives or fines for fraud. Also hope that thewe keep a list of the companies that pull this crap so we can avoid business with such dishonorable entities.

Southeastern Tickets Inc. is the agency in question for this one.

I don't understand. How can you buy these packages and then 4 days before the trip the travel agent say, "Sorry, we didn't really have what we sold you. Here's your money back though." There has to be a recourse besides a refund.

Lawyer up like this lawyer did and sue the b*****ds!

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/01/auburn_fan_sues_over_ticket_sn.html

Don't think I haven't thought of that.

I'm not an attorney, but is the possibility of a class action suit against some of these brokers, including Stub Hub, possible?

You can sue, but generally, the amount you'll be able to claim is the replacement cost less the contract price. That doesn't get you into the game. You could make an argument that specific performance was required for a rare item, but you won't get in front of a judge by Monday so what good is that? I seriously doubt there's a plausible argument for punitive damages or anything like that.

If you have the money, go pay market price. Literally whatever it costs as long as you're not intentionally overbidding. Then sue the broker or travel agent for the difference. To me, that sounds like the best bet from a legal perspective.

I don't understand. How can you buy these packages and then 4 days before the trip the travel agent say, "Sorry, we didn't really have what we sold you. Here's your money back though." There has to be a recourse besides a refund.

For breach of contract the damages would generally be "cover damages" meaning what it costs you to replace what they failed to deliver. The catch is that you have to actually "cover." I am not willing to shell out the $3-4K it will now take to get a ticket and then go after them for the difference.

You can't get any kind of mental anguish damages for breach of contract except in very limited circumstances in Alabama. If fraud could be proven, then you would have something (punitive damages) but that's a tough and expensive fight. On top of that, you have to hope that the outfit you bought from is actually solvent enough to pay the judgment when you get it.

You can sue, but generally, the amount you'll be able to claim is the replacement cost less the contract price. That doesn't get you into the game. You could make an argument that specific performance was required for a rare item, but you won't get in front of a judge by Monday so what good is that? I seriously doubt there's a plausible argument for punitive damages or anything like that.

If you have the money, go pay market price. Literally whatever it costs as long as you're not intentionally overbidding. Then sue the broker or travel agent for the difference. To me, that sounds like the best bet from a legal perspective.

You beat me to the punch by a couple of minutes.

What if the broker doesn't have any money after you "cover?"

Read the last sentence of my post.

In legal terms, you would be screwwwwd.

That's the technical term for it, yes.

StubHub has suspended sales of BCS game tickets:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5996930

At least one of their sellers has oversold inventory. They are offering to buy back tickets for 3x what was paid for them to try to get enough takers to fulfill demand.

They emailed me offering a full refund + $2500 per ticket if I would sell back to them.

Tempted at all?

:roflol: Nope

For breach of contract the damages would generally be "cover damages" meaning what it costs you to replace what they failed to deliver. The catch is that you have to actually "cover." I am not willing to shell out the $3-4K it will now take to get a ticket and then go after them for the difference.

You can't get any kind of mental anguish damages for breach of contract except in very limited circumstances in Alabama. If fraud could be proven, then you would have something (punitive damages) but that's a tough and expensive fight. On top of that, you have to hope that the outfit you bought from is actually solvent enough to pay the judgment when you get it.

Fat chance on this one. They can't even provide tickets...how would you expect them to be able to pay punitives? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

The best way to go is under the consumer protection statutes. If you win, you get your normal contract damages and attorney fees. If you show that there was willful or malicious misrepresentation you can get treble (triple for those of you who don't fish) damages. Three times a certain number can be a significant amount.

The best way to go is under the consumer protection statutes. If you win, you get your normal contract damages and attorney fees. If you show that there was willful or malicious misrepresentation you can get treble (triple for those of you who don't fish) damages. Three times a certain number can be a significant amount.

And then make sure you sue every broker involved. I bet there is willful misrepresentation somewhere up that line.

Buy another ticket and ask for reimbursement from your travel agent for the difference in what the ticket in your package cost and what the cost of the ticket you had to purchase now cost. I would say the ticket now cost $3,500 to $4,000 and the ticket cost in your package was say $800. You will have to do this after you go to the game, but when you return ask your travel agency to reimburse you for the difference. They will laugh in your face, but you do have the right to sue them in small claims court for the $2,700 to $3,200 extra that the replacement ticket cost you. It is just me, but I don't think I would go out there without a ticket. From what has been said, there will be no tickets on the street to purchase. That is the luck of the draw and the difference in playing the NC game in the Rose Bowl (100,000+ seats) versus the stadium in Glendale which contains only 43,300 seats.

I'm looking for anyone who purchased travel packages from Cape Travel in Mobile. If you're planning on leaving for the game this weekend but have been told that you don't have a ticket to the game, please let me know. You can reach me at MJernigan@Fox10tv.com. WAR EAGLE!!!

That is the luck of the draw and the difference in playing the NC game in the Rose Bowl (100,000+ seats) versus the stadium in Glendale which contains only 43,300 seats.

I'm pretty sure the stadium in Glendale has about 63,000 permanent seats, expandable to 72,000, so 43,000 is way under the real number.

Archived