HBO Special Thread (including players debunking their story)

TigerGlide

Would Auburn have that right in an NCAA investigation? Is that customary?

Not sure what the NCAA rules are, but it could be allowedI guess. The NCAA is a private club and does have to not follow rules like a civil or criminal court would follow. I think he wants to claim having auburn's attorney there is intimidating. Very convenient for him.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tweet from Jon Solomon of the Bamaham News:

Chaz Ramsey's dad says NCAA tried speaking with Chaz last week. Chaz wouldn't agree because Auburn attorneys wanted to be present.

When you are telling the truth, why does it matter who is present

???

Chaz Ramsey's dad is lying about that. Auburn representatives would have no right to be present at an interview between a former player and NCAA investigators. Auburn didn't have anybody present when the NCAA talked to McClover, what's different about Ramsey?

I'm starting to believe that the NCAA talked to McClover and either Raven Gray, Troy Reddick or both and have already decided this is nothing but a crock of BS.

Finding out that some bammer booster is in charge of HBO sports programming was probably what put the end to it as far as the NCAA is concerned.

Not sure what the NCAA rules are, but it could be allowedI guess. The NCAA is a private club and does have to not follow rules like a civil or criminal court would follow. I think he wants to claim having auburn's attorney there is intimidating. Very convenient for him.

According to Scarbinsky, it's not an unusual request:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburns_hbo_four_should_tell_n.html

Chaz Ramsey's father, Key, told my colleague Jon Solomon that the NCAA contacted his son last week after the "Real Sports" episode aired to schedule an interview about the charges he made on the show about receiving money handshakes after games and selling complimentary game tickets.

His son declined the NCAA's invitation to talk, Key Ramsey said, because Auburn's attorneys requested to be present for the interview. That kind of request, by the way, is not unusual.

"I don't think Chaz wants to talk to anyone," his father said.

Wayne Ferrell, an attorney representing Chaz Ramsey in his lawsuit against a former Auburn trainer, told Solomon that Ramsey hasn't decided whether he'll talk to the NCAA.

"I know they haven't been happy with the way they've been treated at Auburn, but they may be inclined to let this go away," Ferrell said.

Tweet from Jon Solomon of the Bamaham News:

Chaz Ramsey's dad says NCAA tried speaking with Chaz last week. Chaz wouldn't agree because Auburn attorneys wanted to be present.

When you are telling the truth, why does it matter who is present

???

Chaz Ramsey's dad is lying about that. Auburn representatives would have no right to be present at an interview between a former player and NCAA investigators. Auburn didn't have anybody present when the NCAA talked to McClover, what's different about Ramsey?

I'm starting to believe that the NCAA talked to McClover and either Raven Gray, Troy Reddick or both and have already decided this is nothing but a crock of BS.

Finding out that some bammer booster is in charge of HBO sports programming was probably what put the end to it as far as the NCAA is concerned.

I think you are right that the NCAA does not have to allow Auburn's attorney's to be present. However, I read the statement as being that Auburn requested to be present and the NCAA granted the request. Upon hearing that Auburn's attorneys would be there, Ramsey said no to the interview.

According to Scarbinsky, it's not an unusual request:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburns_hbo_four_should_tell_n.html

Chaz Ramsey's father, Key, told my colleague Jon Solomon that the NCAA contacted his son last week after the "Real Sports" episode aired to schedule an interview about the charges he made on the show about receiving money handshakes after games and selling complimentary game tickets.

His son declined the NCAA's invitation to talk, Key Ramsey said, because Auburn's attorneys requested to be present for the interview. That kind of request, by the way, is not unusual.

"I don't think Chaz wants to talk to anyone," his father said.

Wayne Ferrell, an attorney representing Chaz Ramsey in his lawsuit against a former Auburn trainer, told Solomon that Ramsey hasn't decided whether he'll talk to the NCAA.

"I know they haven't been happy with the way they've been treated at Auburn, but they may be inclined to let this go away," Ferrell said.

First, I'm not happy with the way "they've" treated Auburn. :angry:

Second, would the reason they may be inclined to "let it go away" be that your lie is so transparent a blind man could see right through it? <_<

Second, would the reason they may be inclined to "let it go away" be that your lie is so transparent a blind man could see right through it? <_<

Things intelligent people would think about before opening their trap to the media:

"If I'm lying, what sort of slander suits am I opening myself up for? If I'm telling the truth, what sort of IRS/legal charges am I opening myself up for?"

Technically if an individual or the press makes a statement that turns out to be false they can't be convicted of slander of libel; only if they knowingly gave a false statement and even if they do so recklessly it is protected by the first amendment. So HBO and the media won't get in trouble but if they players lied then they could be committing libel.

Will Herring has also spoken out ITAT and says he never saw anything like what these bozos are claiming and he thinks they are full of crap.

"Technically if an individual or the press makes a statement that turns out to be false they can't be convicted of slander of libel; only if they knowingly gave a false statement and even if they do so recklessly it is protected by the first amendment. So HBO and the media won't get in trouble but if they players lied then they could be committing libel."

Working on your law degree from Bama, right? Although prevailing against the media is a more difficult burden for the plaintiff than against individuals, reckless indifference to inaccuracy (especially a pattern like CamSlam) is frequently a basis for punking irresponsible media (see e.g. the hundreds of cases coast to coast explaining or criticizing the dated Constit. holdings in NYT v Sullivan). Media reckless indifference to inaccuracy regardless of actual knowledge is virtually never a basis for a successful motion to dismiss a complaint in fed or state court.

Media or individual, making false and damaging statements as if they're verified truth or the entire story when they're neither but something subtantially closer to the truth is readily available, is defamation 101. Smart media know this, thus the frequently heard disclaimer "the opinions of ___ are his own and do not reflect those of this station".

Archived