Georgia Southern

BigBlueBagel

Charlton is a great guy. That was uncalled for.

I was in school when he was on the Auburn coaching staff. He and a bunch of other athletic department types had an intramural team. My team played his (it was '95 or '96), and, suffice it to say, he showed his rear in just about every way imaginable. I'll admit his team beat us to a pulp, but that's kind of the point. Notwithstanding that our team was obviously overmatched(and we weren't bad; they 'mercy-ruled' almost every team they played), he talked trash non-stop, beginning at the opening tip and continuing until they were up 20+, and on and on, literally until he left the gym after the game; he berated and intimidated the hapless (student volunteer) officials (they had to interrupt the game multiple times because he wouldn't shut up), including whining that our team was using racial epithets (which absolutely, positively did NOT happen); he pushed off repeatedly to get free; he grabbed our point guard's jersey to keep him from getting free; etc. I'm sure some would try to argue that "he's just a competitor," but a guy who had a successful college career (my recall is that he was a 20 ppg game scorer at GSU) - not to mention that, at the time, he was a member of the Auburn coaching staff - really doesn't need to resort to bush league nonsense like that, in any circumstance, much less in an intramural game against a bunch of former high-school wannabes.

Trust me on this one. I'm (truly) not the sort who goes out looking to run people down, especially about a meaningless, intramural basketball game 15 or 16 years ago. But Charlton Young worked hard that night to earn my disdain. Maybe (hopefully) he's a different guy off the court. Maybe he's grown up since then. Or maybe it was just a bad night for him (or me), but, in my opinion (and in the opinion of most anyone who was there, I'd imagine), his behavior that night was inexcusable. He's obviously done well for himself as a coach, and that's great, but all I will ever remember about him is that night, when he acted like a complete d***. It was embarrassing to me to know he was representing Auburn, and I was thrilled when he left.

I was in school when he was on the Auburn coaching staff. He and a bunch of other athletic department types had an intramural team. My team played his (it was '95 or '96), and, suffice it to say, he showed his rear in just about every way imaginable. I'll admit his team beat us to a pulp, but that's kind of the point. Notwithstanding that our team was obviously overmatched(and we weren't bad; they 'mercy-ruled' almost every team they played), he talked trash non-stop, beginning at the opening tip and continuing until they were up 20+, and on and on, literally until he left the gym after the game; he berated and intimidated the hapless (student volunteer) officials (they had to interrupt the game multiple times because he wouldn't shut up), including whining that our team was using racial epithets (which absolutely, positively did NOT happen); he pushed off repeatedly to get free; he grabbed our point guard's jersey to keep him from getting free; etc. I'm sure some would try to argue that "he's just a competitor," but a guy who had a successful college career (my recall is that he was a 20 ppg game scorer at GSU) - not to mention that, at the time, he was a member of the Auburn coaching staff - really doesn't need to resort to bush league nonsense like that, in any circumstance, much less in an intramural game against a bunch of former high-school wannabes.

Trust me on this one. I'm (truly) not the sort who goes out looking to run people down, especially about a meaningless, intramural basketball game 15 or 16 years ago. But Charlton Young worked hard that night to earn my disdain. Maybe (hopefully) he's a different guy off the court. Maybe he's grown up since then. Or maybe it was just a bad night for him (or me), but, in my opinion (and in the opinion of most anyone who was there, I'd imagine), his behavior that night was inexcusable. He's obviously done well for himself as a coach, and that's great, but all I will ever remember about him is that night, when he acted like a complete d***. It was embarrassing to me to know he was representing Auburn, and I was thrilled when he left.

I'll chalk it up to a bad day: his, yours, whoever's. I was with Charlton on several occasions, including some on court stuff. It was clear that he liked to win (horse, 21, team), and he liked to have fun doing it. My guess is that his team will compete hard. We have had trouble handling teams that push us early with pressure and tight man defense. My guess is that GSU will bring lots of energy.

I'll chalk it up to a bad day: his, yours, whoever's. I was with Charlton on several occasions, including some on court stuff. It was clear that he liked to win (horse, 21, team), and he liked to have fun doing it. My guess is that his team will compete hard. We have had trouble handling teams that push us early with pressure and tight man defense. My guess is that GSU will bring lots of energy.

Fair enough; thanks. I'm happy to take your word for it. I don't enjoy harboring bad feelings. :big:

I'd rather apologize for a win than feel really good after a loss.

But, I get where he's coming from...there's still much work to be done. I just want this team to see action beyond the SEC tournament.

Archived