Great read

If any of you read fiction, I just finished a book that was great. "The Poet", by Michael Connelly. Stephen King said of this book "It is a truly terrifying book."

BAM

I LOVE Michael Connelly. I have read everything he has ever written. His re-occurring character is a cop named Harry Bosch. The first two books are "Black Ice" and "Black Echo". There are several other Harry Bosch books beyond those. Then he introduced the characters in "The Poet". Next came new characters in "BloodWork" (MUCH better than the movie) NOW he has connected Harry Bosch, Terry McCaleb from "Bloodwork", and the FBI agent lady in "The Poet in his LATEST book, "The Narrows". I am going to re-read Poet and Bloodwork before I get any further into The Narrows.

He is truly one of the greatest current mystery writers.

Harry Bosch is a walking, talking contradiction isn't he. He has his own demons and issues but always does the right thing, in spite of his background.

The first of Michael Connelly's books I read was City of Bones. Then I went back and started from the first.

I guess I like Harry and all of Connelly's books because there is not always a happy ending - not so canned and cut and dried. They seem more like reality.

What do you think about Harry leaving LAPD? Will that make for more interesting plots, or will that take away the whole "outside the bounds of authority but still behind the badge" kind of thing?

I did NOT like Void Moon - never finished it, in fact. That is the only one I didn't like, tho. City of Bones was wonderful -so sad.

Do you read James Lee Burke? The Dave Robicheaux novels? There have been a few tips of the hat to Robicheaux in the Connelly books - don't remember which one, but in one book, Harry is wearing a Robicheaux Bait Shop hat or t-shirt (don't remember).

If you DON'T read James Lee Burke, I cannot recommend him highly enough. If you like Harry Bosch, you will LOVE Dave Robicheaux. And these you just about HAVE to read in order.

What do you think about Harry leaving LAPD? Will that make for more interesting plots, or will that take away the whole "outside the bounds of authority but still behind the badge" kind of thing?

On one hand I thought it was good for the character. On the other I was wondering if that was the end? If not what the heck will he be doing in Florida? I can't imagine Harry being a fishing guide with the retired guy he met. Now you tell me he is in the new book with characters form other books. I like the way Connelly will keep several characters "active" in other stories. Even if it is a minor part. The black female reporter has been in three or four books hasn't she?

Do you think Harry will survive after leaving LA? Or will his character just fade into the sunset?

On one hand I thought it was good for the character. On the other I was wondering if that was the end? If not what the heck will he be doing in Florida? I can't imagine Harry being a fishing guide with the retired guy he met. Now you tell me he is in the new book with characters form other books. I like the way Connelly will keep several characters "active" in other stories. Even if it is a minor part. The black female reporter has been in three or four books hasn't she?

Do you think Harry will survive after leaving LA? Or will his character just fade into the sunset?

Yeah, The Narrows has Harry Bosch meeting up with Graciella from Bloodwork. I haven't finished reading the Narrows yet - I stopped to do the re-reads of the other books - so I will reserve comment on how it will all shake out.

I just finished re-reading The Poet last night - had totally forgotten the plot and it seemed very critical to The Narrows. Now I am going to re-read Bloodwork so I can remember Terry McCaleb and Graciella's story.

I found ANOTHER Robicheaux reference in The Poet last night - at the end, the journalist is trying to find an agent to market his book about the hunt for the Poet. He remembers that one of his favorite mystery authors dedicated one of his books to his agent so he calls the guy. The agent asks the journalist where he got his name? The journalist replies "A Morning for Flamingos", which is a James Lee Burke "Dave Robichaeux" book. SO COOL!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE little inside jokes. There was also a side comment directed at Harry Bosch in The Poet - one of the cops says that they even checked with some crusty old LAPD dective about the Black Dahlia case - which is a direct reference to Harry Bosch and one of the cases in one of the other books (can't remember)

You know, Connelly may be trying to take on some kind of writing direction in tribute to James Lee Burke and John MacDonald's Travis McGee character. Not too sure about Harry as a fisherman. he could join some small town PD and get into trouble, maybe. I hope that Connelly doesn't get burned out and mess this up. He has such a great character going!!

I just finished The Poet and before that I read The Last Coyote & Black Ice. I am now reading Blood Work.

The Poet really had a surprise ending didn't it. I knew things were different than the way it was shaping up, but I did not suspect that. It's hard to imagine "The Narrows" being as good. But then Connelly has kept continued to get better.

Archived