2014 5* RB Racean "Roc" Thomas COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!

bigbuck

Jason Caldwell ‏@ITATJason

Heading out to watch Auburn commitment Roc Thomas in action

5-star RB Roc Thomas warming up for Oxford vs Oak Mountain

First carry for Roc Thomas goes for 43 yards

Roc Thomas with 7 carries for 66 yards on first drive. Finishes it off with 4- yard TD running over defender

BSY-FfxIMAAN7Al.jpg

Wow! Go Roc. And stick with ur commitment. He is crazy good.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alabama thinks that Roc will sign with them if Fournette goes elsewhere. Roc is not playing second fiddle to anyone!! See ya Bammers, Roc is at home in Auburn playing for those who chose him first.

Roc Thomas returned to the field in impressive fashion during Oxford’s jamboree Friday, then the senior running back addressed reporters for the first time in weeks about his commitment to Auburn.

Thomas rushed for 116 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown run, and Ty Webber threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Tredarrian Gamble to lead Oxford to a 14-10 victory over Oak Mountain.

Thomas’ performance included runs of 40 yards on his first carry and a 35-yarder later in the first half. His only action in an abbreviated second half was his 38-yard punt.

One of the nation’s top running back recruits, Thomas then spoke with two reporters about the game and his decision to choose Auburn.

“I just trust the coaches,” he said. “I think they’ll help me out with my future and help me do great things in life.”

Thomas committed Aug. 2, choosing Auburn from long list of offers that included Alabama, LSU and Florida in the SEC. He said Auburn’s hurry-up spread offense was a good fit.

“I’ve watched highlights on what they do, and I’ve just picked stuff up,” said Thomas, rated the nation’s No. 3 running back prospect by Scout.com. “It’s really stuff we do on our team.”

Asked if he had a message for Auburn fans, he said, “War Eagle.”

He and his teammates did enough against the Oak Mountain Eagles on Friday, scoring a victory in Ryan Herring’s first preseason jamboree as his alma mater’s head coach.

“Oxford, obviously they’ve improved from where they were at this time a year ago, and I thought they were pretty good a year ago,” said Oak Mountain coach Cris Bell, whose team played a jamboree at Oxford in 2012. “And Thomas, we won’t have anybody who can tackle him. That’s for sure. He certainly deserves all the accolades that he has.

“I think Coach Herring has done a pretty good job of establishing his identity on the team, and I think his kids are playing hard.”

Oak Mountain got on the scoreboard first, because of Blake Miller’s 42-yard field goal at 5:59 of the first quarter.

Oxford answered with an 80-yard drive. Thomas got it going with his 40-yard run and capped it with his touchdown run.

“I had an opening, but it closed fast,” Thomas said of his 40-yard run. “I just bounced it to the outside, just tried to get what I could, and it turned out good.”

An Oak Mountain fumble helped set up the Yellow Jackets’ next score, Webber’s strike to Gamble on fourth down and 13 to put Oxford up 14-3 at 1:25 of the first quarter.

“Great throw,” Herring said. “He had some real good throws. Really impressed with Ty tonight, which I was expecting him to do well, any way.”

Webber hit on 12 of 17 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown.

“He’s got great eyes. He can read well,” Thomas said. “That helps me out, a lot.”

Oak Mountain’s touchdown came on quarterback Warren Shader’s sneak at 1:11 of the second quarter.

The two teams played second-unit players through a scoreless and abbreviated second half.

“I was happy,” Herring said. “I thought we had good effort. We had about two or three mental errors on defense, and that equated to 10 points. Take that away, I think all night was good effort and hard play.”

Read more: Anniston Star - Solid as a Roc Thomas leads Oxford past Oak Mountain talks about commitment to AU

Coach Herring? Is this a Herring with ties to AU?

He is an Oxford legacy. I doubt he is an Auburn legacy. He is taking over for his dad who just left Oxford to be the OC at Jax. St.

Congrats to Roc on his performance tonight. He did a great job. On a side note sounds like that HC from Oak Mtn is a classy guy from that article that SId posted.

He is an Oxford legacy. I doubt he is an Auburn legacy. He is taking over for his dad who just left Oxford to be the OC at Jax. St.

Thanks. I was just wondering if he was related to Coach Reggie, Will, or Adam.

Partially incorrect. His dad has not been the coach in Oxford for a long time. His dad's last gig was at Newnan in Georgia. Oxford's last coach did go to JSU to be OC though. No relation to Herring though. I think Herring left Oxford sometime in the late 90s, early 2000s. The senior Herring retired as a high school coach in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.

Partially incorrect. His dad has not been the coach in Oxford for a long time. His dad's last gig was at Newnan in Georgia. Oxford's last coach did go to JSU to be OC though. No relation to Herring though. I think Herring left Oxford sometime in the late 90s, early 2000s. The senior Herring retired as a high school coach in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.

Yeah. I misread the al.com article I read. Ryan Herring replaced John Grass at Oxford as HC this year. However the main parts of the discussion, Herring being an Oxford legacy and not an Auburn legacy, still stand. Ryan Herring played for his dad in the late 90s at Oxford. They do not appear to be any relation to any other the people WE10 mentioned.

Yeah. I misread the al.com article I read. Ryan Herring replaced John Grass at Oxford as HC this year. However the main parts of the discussion, Herring being an Oxford legacy and not an Auburn legacy, still stand. Ryan Herring played for his dad in the late 90s at Oxford. They do not appear to be any relation to any other the people WE10 mentioned.

Tisk-Tisk!! :no no no:

Will we see Roc's team in the recruits on tv thread? Thought I read that he was having a national televised game, but that could have been someone else. Anyone know if any of his games will be on national tv?

Will we see Roc's team in the recruits on tv thread? Thought I read that he was having a national televised game, but that could have been someone else. Anyone know if any of his games will be on national tv?

They have no telecasts. The only chance of seeing them if if they play Hoover in the playoffs. The game would be on Hoover's website.

They have no telecasts. The only chance of seeing them if if they play Hoover in the playoffs. The game would be on Hoover's website.

I will go see him when they come play Florence falcons!!

I'm fortunate to live in Anniston so I plan on quite a few games to see him this year. So excited we have cracked into the bammer pipeline that is Oxford. SO bama heavy around here.

used to some of the local channels around anniston and best i can remember cable often shows games about the middle of the following week. its been years since i had cable one but they used to be real good about it. i have seen them play before way back tho it might have been anniston or another school doing the telecasts..........

hellz yeah! I'm gonna have to make out to this. I'm in bammer shoals

Making out to HS football games...Hmmmmm... :o

Making out to HS football games...Hmmmmm... :o/>

and I did.. My girl is still really confused.. lol I hear Dixie! You run a tight chip amigo

Do most AL HS's have their first games this week? I ma looking forward to seeing stats from our Top recruits like Roc.

Do most AL HS's have their first games this week? I ma looking forward to seeing stats from our Top recruits like Roc.

All do.

Same here, although with some, we already know what they can do. I hope they all stay healthy #1 and they all keep their grades up and their noses clean!

Same here, although with some, we already know what they can do. I hope they all stay healthy #1 and they all keep their grades up and their noses clean!

Yes, and stay Auburn Men.

Archived