2014 5* RB Racean "Roc" Thomas COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!

bigbuck

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E, Dixie, KK, or anyone in the know. I put this here because it is a RB discussion. I saw today that Tenn 5* recruit Jalen Hurd is hurt and now out for his senior season. He plays RB in TN. He gained over 3000 yds last year. He is also fast, apparently sub 4.4 from another video I saw of him running a 40.

Anyway, no one hardly ever touched the guy in his highlight video of about 9 minutes. I realize this is highlights, but considering it is Tenn., I came away thinking Roc was a much more talented back.

Have any of you seen Jalen in action or seen film on him. I am interested in knowing if people think he is really one of the best RB's in HS now.

Saw him on some camp footage and he is quick to be so big. Hate to hear about the injury. Tenn fans are crazy about him. As in they don't follow recruiting much but those who didn't do now. Kind of like I did when all this Cam Newton and Mike Dyer stuff got fired up for our recruiting in 09. I've been hooked since.

Rather have Roc than most RBs for sure. Guy has legend written all over him. Kind of like Lattimore did on his recruitment. Dyer was the smiling flashy back and Latt was the quiet killer type.

E, Dixie, KK, or anyone in the know. I put this here because it is a RB discussion. I saw today that Tenn 5* recruit Jalen Hurd is hurt and now out for his senior season. He plays RB in TN. He gained over 3000 yds last year. He is also fast, apparently sub 4.4 from another video I saw of him running a 40.

Anyway, no one hardly ever touched the guy in his highlight video of about 9 minutes. I realize this is highlights, but considering it is Tenn., I came away thinking Roc was a much more talented back.

Have any of you seen Jalen in action or seen film on him. I am interested in knowing if people think he is really one of the best RB's in HS now.

Hurd=Stud

Hurd=Stud

Agree, he is kinda tall but if he can get low enough it will be an advantage for him. He and Roc are different. Not sure how you say one is better than the other unless you saw them head to head and even then it still depends on situations, blocking and most of all IMO "Football Smarts!" To me the guys that are awesome athletes AND students of the game as well tend to hang around and play longer than a pure athlete that just plays because it is a ticket out of a bad situation. not that they can't become students but the guys that really dig in and learn the philosophy behind what the coaches are telling them can outplay a better athlete that is faster but only knows HIS position. But yes, Hurd = Stud. Hope he heals.

Hurd=Stud

Agree, he is kinda tall but if he can get low enough it will be an advantage for him. He and Roc are different. Not sure how you say one is better than the other unless you saw them head to head and even then it still depends on situations, blocking and most of all IMO "Football Smarts!" To me the guys that are awesome athletes AND students of the game as well tend to hang around and play longer than a pure athlete that just plays because it is a ticket out of a bad situation. not that they can't become students but the guys that really dig in and learn the philosophy behind what the coaches are telling them can outplay a better athlete that is faster but only knows HIS position. But yes, Hurd = Stud. Hope he heals.

Dixie, E and others who responded, thanks. I thought Roc looked more elusive with better moves. Hurd seems run more in a straight line but very fast. I was thinking that Al football has given Roc the chance to play better competition. 247 has Hurd rated very high. He must be the real deal. Sorry he got hurt. I think Tenn is going to be competitive within the next few years. That will help the East division a lot.

I've seen Jalen Hurd play in about ten or twelve games, and I know one of his teachers very well. Classy kid from a classy family. There was already talk from the Butch Jones staff that he may be outgrowing the RB mold. However, he ran for 177 yards last week, plus a 50 yard punt return. Regardless of where he plays, though, he will be a great asset to utk.

I've seen Jalen Hurd play in about ten or twelve games, and I know one of his teachers very well. Classy kid from a classy family. There was already talk from the Butch Jones staff that he may be outgrowing the RB mold. However, he ran for 177 yards last week, plus a 50 yard punt return. Regardless of where he plays, though, he will be a great asset to utk.

Thanks, Pops. With his speed and size, we would be a terrific LB prospect. There is nothing wrong with being a big RB with his speed.

Back to Roc. Is he coming to AU for the game this weekend?

Thanks, Pops. With his speed and size, we would be a terrific LB prospect. There is nothing wrong with being a big RB with his speed.

He is on the list in the visitor thread.

He is on the list in the visitor thread.

That is terrific!

I was planning to make his game next week. Does anyone know if he'll play after his injury?

Not sure. Depends on their staff's and the state's rules for handling concussions.

I've got a question about when recruiting thread title's get "COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!" added to them... does this only get removed when a player verbally decommits? If a player verbal commits and then it is known in the recruiting community that he isn't a solid commitment anymore, but rather a 40/30/30 (us, someone else, someone else) do the threads get the "COMMITS TO AUBURN" taken away? I know nothing is official until the faxed LOI, but I'm just wondering how much hope I can put into these titles.

I've got a question about when recruiting thread title's get "COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!" added to them... does this only get removed when a player verbally decommits? If a player verbal commits and then it is known in the recruiting community that he isn't a solid commitment anymore, but rather a 40/30/30 (us, someone else, someone else) do the threads get the "COMMITS TO AUBURN" taken away? I know nothing is official until the faxed LOI, but I'm just wondering how much hope I can put into these titles.

I change the titles as soon as a player publically commits to Auburn no matter how strong or weak that commitment is. The COMMITS TO AUBURN!!! is no reflection of strength of commitment. I only change it when a player publically decommits. When Casher decommitted I changed the title to decommits from Auburn for a couple of days so the news would have max exposure to the AUF board. After a couple of days I removed his commit status from the title altogether. As with everything in recruiting, take the COMMITS TO AUBURN!!! with a grain of salt

At one time several years ago, nationwide it was reported that 90% of players that publicly committed eventually signed with the school they initially committed to. It seems like "decommitting" has become more of a trend in recent years but I haven't seen any updated info on that.

Roc is very humble, he didn't say much. Mostly saying how sleepy he was after the trip down. I did ask him point blank if he was good to go after the shot he took? His said "Oh Yeah! Not an issue". I will add that he has been in the Weight Room since this time last year.

Archived