2014 5* RB Racean "Roc" Thomas COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!

bigbuck

I will feel better about Roc when he turn from recruit to recruiter. He is planning on Fall visits.

This brings up an interesting point, albeit one I guess would remain the same. Will Gus & Co. take the same approach to guys who want to visit other schools that Chiz did?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will feel better about Roc when he turn from recruit to recruiter. He is planning on Fall visits.

This brings up an interesting point, albeit one I guess would remain the same. Will Gus & Co. take the same approach to guys who want to visit other schools that Chiz did?

If you mean let them take visits then Yes. A few of our commits are planning on visits.

I don't mind recruits taking visits personally. This is a huge decision for them, and it's going to be where they spend the next 3-5 years of their lives. Keeping in mind that football is just a game, that these are 17-18 year old kids trying to make what is probably the first big decision in their lives, I think that they should look around and find the best fit for them. Obviously, I am partial to AU, I think that it is perfect... for me, which is why I am currently enrolled there. Others may feel differently, and thats okay.

Given his demeanor, will be interesting to see if he is much of a recruiter. If nothing else, I'd imagine any recruiting by Roc will not be via public forums. So we may never know.

I don't mind recruits taking visits personally. This is a huge decision for them, and it's going to be where they spend the next 3-5 years of their lives. Keeping in mind that football is just a game, that these are 17-18 year old kids trying to make what is probably the first big decision in their lives, I think that they should look around and find the best fit for them. Obviously, I am partial to AU, I think that it is perfect... for me, which is why I am currently enrolled there. Others may feel differently, and thats okay.

Don't forget this is a once in a lifetime experience for them. Most high school kids do not get these OV opportunities. Even if I was committed to Auburn and someone told me you get an all experses paid trip to your top 5 schools for 2 days each then heck yes I am taking visits.

Don't forget this is a once in a lifetime experience for them. Most high school kids do not get these OV opportunities. Even if I was committed to Auburn and someone told me you get an all experses paid trip to your top 5 schools for 2 days each then heck yes I am taking visits.

Agreed.

Roc is recruiting for us now. I wouod take all visitis and there is no way in hell I would go anywhere but AU lol. Roc is solid.

I hope so but he said the other day he does not want to be a recruiter but will help other recruits if they want and need help.

He is helping trust me. Roc is very shy and playing the recruiti ng game perfect being a 5 star stud from bammer country.

This is great to hear.

He is helping trust me. Roc is very shy and playing the recruiti ng game perfect being a 5 star stud from bammer country.

Recruiting both sides of the ball or just his?

I would think both in at least 1 instance. He and Evans are pretty close.

+1. If someone offers you a free trip to be wine-and-dined, see new parts of the country, get up close and personal with some of the most amazing athletic facilities in the US, and meet some of the most brilliant minds in the US, then by God you take it!

Once in a lifetime is right, I don't think that I got this royal treatment when I was picking a school... #EngineerProbs #NotAnAthlete #CanIBeTheBallBoy?

I realize that it is a sign of the times, but it is dishonest to take visits and pretend you are open if you are truly committed. And I wish these schools would call the kids on it and vice-versa. If you are committed to me, do not let me hear about you being in Athens or Gainesville. Likewise if I accept your commitment for the one QB I will take this cycle, I should not be entertaining other QB's from the same class. Everyone feels justified because they want to cover their bases but the lack of integrity has taken over sports. Ergo why we end up with A-Rod's and JFF's who can cheat the system and get away with it. /rant

I realize that it is a sign of the times, but it is dishonest to take visits and pretend you are open if you are truly committed. And I wish these schools would call the kids on it and vice-versa. If you are committed to me, do not let me hear about you being in Athens or Gainesville. Likewise if I accept your commitment for the one QB I will take this cycle, I should not be entertaining other QB's from the same class. Everyone feels justified because they want to cover their bases but the lack of integrity has taken over sports. Ergo why we end up with A-Rod's and JFF's who can cheat the system and get away with it. /rant

Dabo takes that approach. He's the most notable/first coach that comes to mind when talking about those who don't allow students to OV after they commit. And to me that makes sense: I would totally encourage kids to take all their visits to other schools. It's a great opportunity, just like everybody's suggesting. However, when you COMMIT to a school, there should be finality to that.

Be careful. Taking visits does not mean a recruit is open or even pretending to be open. Yes there are some kids that do that and this staff has shown if you are seriously flirting they will cut you in the short term at the very least. There is nothing wrong with a committed player taking and enjoying those visits if they are just enjoying the experience. The staff is cool with that.

However, when you COMMIT to a school, there should be finality to that.

There can be finality to it and still take visits as long as there is no serious flirting from the recruit.

Here's another thing. There are many people who want our staff to demand commits don't visit or talk to other schools. What they don't realize is the chances of losing a commit with that close minded approach goes up. The kids should be allowed to take visits because if you are going to lose a kid you are going to lose him whether you restrict visits or not. So you should let the kid have the freedom to do as he wants in terms of visits. It shows confidence on your part about your program and trust in the kid, which for a lot of kids goes a long way long term for your relationship with them.

Be careful. Taking visits does not mean a recruit is open or even pretending to be open. Yes there are some kids that do that and this staff has shown if you are seriously flirting they will cut you in the short term at the very least. There is nothing wrong with a committed player taking and enjoying those visits if they are just enjoying the experience. The staff is cool with that.

However, when you COMMIT to a school, there should be finality to that.

There can be finality to it and still take visits as long as there is no serious flirting from the recruit.

Here's another thing. There are many people who want our staff to demand commits don't visit or talk to other schools. What they don't realize is the chances of losing a commit with that close minded approach goes up. The kids should be allowed to take visits because if you are going to lose a kid you are going to lose him whether you restrict visits or not. So you should let the kid have the freedom to do as he wants in terms of visits. It shows confidence on your part about your program and trust in the kid, which for a lot of kids goes a long way long term for your relationship with them.

E, you know I understand all that but why commit then? Take your visits then commit. I agree that it shows confidence to not forbid visits as well. But if I'm a coach I don't want my staff getting tied up showing kids around that I know are not coming to AU. I want my commits displaying confidence that AU is the best decision by not taking other visits. How is a kid that is truly undecided supposed to believe AU is best when all our commits are still wandering around at other schools? "I know AU is best for me. I just want to tour UGA, I'm not going there." Then post visit interview "I'm ALL IN, I'm solid. I'm still checking out schools though..." It doesn't make sense and it just further clouds the already muddy water of recruiting IMO. If I knew I was going to AU, how can I expect a visit to TurdTown not to confuse folks?

I'm just sayin'...that's all. Hey it's just as crazy when I complain about the process but dangit, I'm still on the recruiting sites first thing everyday!! :noevil:

Well I see it as, when you say "we want what's best for you." "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we want what's best for your son or daughter."

Then you say you made a great choice commiting to our great school but don't even think about going and hanging out with any uncommitted players at other schools. There is only one school for you and that's the only games you will be attending. Look at DW visiting before big cat last spring. The stink it caused and big bad Dabo had to cover his arse and tell DW were not mad no, no were not mad you visited. But please don't do it anymore.

You gotta know we was gonna scare the s**t out of Dabo if we kept going after his QB. He was probably the happiest when he heard the news we were taking SW.

Well I see it as, when you say "we want what's best for you." "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we want what's best for your son or daughter."

Then you say you made a great choice commiting to our great school but don't even think about going and hanging out with any uncommitted players at other schools. There is only one school for you and that's the only games you will be attending. Look at DW visiting before big cat last spring. The stink it caused and big bad Dabo had to cover his arse and tell DW were not mad no, no were not mad you visited. But please don't do it anymore.

You gotta know we was gonna scare the s**t out of Dabo if we kept going after his QB. He was probably the happiest when he heard the news we were taking SW.

Most recruits are not going to cower to the demands like DW did with Dabo. Most are going to Rebel Up and say forget you. I'm gone!

There is always going to be a cost benefit analysis. We don't like AU to spend money on a lost cause but on the other hand its all about exposure. The more players that come to AU on visits the better imo. Even if a player commits to another school, if he is impressed with AU it works in our favor and well worth the cost.

Don't you think he goes back to his team mates and tells them about it ? He might even say they should check it out. It peeks the interest of other players who have never been to AU. Also, even if one of our commits goes on an OV to another school, he is going to talk to other players about AU when they go to the dorms or out on the town.

I agree with all of you! That is why the whole process needs an overhaul IMO. Don't call it a commitment, call it a reservation or something else. Also, they need to change some of the way kids expenses are covered for unofficial visits. Most can't afford to travel to camps and visits all Summer without having to resort to methods now considered against the rules. It's all about to get an overhaul anyaway. With all the talk among commisioners about the "Full Cost of Attendance, etc."

Just as the BCS/Playoff question needed addressing so does recruiting. IMO it will all be ammended within the next 5-6 years. The Committee on Infractions as well as the REC's and the like will be going under the microscope as well they should.

I apologize for the hijack E!! Start a new thread if need be.

There is always going to be a cost benefit analysis. We don't like AU to spend money on a lost cause but on the other hand its all about exposure. The more players that come to AU on visits the better imo. Even if a player commits to another school, if he is impressed with AU it works in our favor and well worth the cost.

Don't you think he goes back to his team mates and tells them about it ? He might even say they should check it out. It peeks the interest of other players who have never been to AU. Also, even if one of our commits goes on an OV to another school, he is going to talk to other players about AU when they go to the dorms or out on the town.

Agreed. And since there is already a budget for the 55 OVs a school can use but most never get to that 55 you might as well use them.

I continue to agree with just about everything everyone is saying...(Maybe we need to all get together, hatch a plan and liscense it to the conferences) $$$

Any to Auburn?

Archived