We're left out

auburn4ever

Who's to blame for scheduling such a weak non-conference? is it Jay Jacobs? if it is, then I blame him for us being left out of the big dance.

I cant believe Arizona got in. I believe they were like 19-12 or something like that. It is just because they are Arizona. Teams deserved more than them. Penn State, San Diego State, Virginia Tech, Creighton, and us. Arizona lost like 8 out of their last 9 games.

Seriously.  The way AU has performed the last 4-5 years, why would you schedule strong non-conf. games?  I think that is what did us in.  Losing to the likes of Mercer killed our chances.  However, had we had a strong early season schedule, we would have lost a ton of games.  It may have helped a little, but would a strong non-conf. schedule helped us if we had lost several more pre-SEC games this year?

Good season and something to build on.  NITs suck, but it is a step up from previous years.

:dunno:

More the cup is half empty auburn4ever, man quit looking for someone to blame and just suport your team dude. JJ is not the cause of all our problems and he is an Auburn man so like the rest of us I'm sure he believes in Auburn and loves it!

:believe:

I agree WarTiger69 we are in the NIT as a #1 seed now lets support our tigers and show them how much we deserved to be in by making some noise in the NIT lets sell out aggainst Tennesee Martin and show our tigers the love they deserve and maybe our womens team can do something since they are pretty much a lock for the tournement

Yeah, the Jay Jacobs threads should be long dead by now.  Anyway, I see a preseason top 25 in the future.  I would like to see an NIT trophy in the near future.

Since Jacobs is playing our AD, isn't part of his job being in charge of getting in touch with other teams to try to get on our schedule?

Yeah but when you are mediocre like Auburn has been the past few years why would anyone want to play us b/c it doesn't help them if they beat us and we sure wouldn't have helped them on the strength of schedule

So true AUST!  I think it is something to build on and move forward.  A good run in the Not Invited Tourney will help with our rankings next year.  AU just needs to build on this year.  Lebo did an amazing job with the players he had.  I don't think another coach could have done better with those guys.  Once he gets some better players on the team, he should be able to get us further.  I just hope the recruiting picks up and gets better.

War Eagle.

I used to blame everything on Jay...I even thought about making a "Fire Jay Jacobs" sign and parading around AU sporting events with it. things have changed since though...I decided to give the guy a chance and listen to what he had to say. Jacobs is an Auburn man that will do whatever he believes at heart is in Auburn's best interest. Auburn was left out for the obvious reasons and I dont think anybody could have done anything about it...

I came very close to making one of those signs after Jacobs hired Chizik after he stood up there and said money wasn't the issue on hiring a new coach. Only time will tell if I need to go back and start making that sign again.

I still think that people took that statement the wrong way though. you could pay all the money in the world and still end up with somebody that isnt right for the program. I really dont think that money was the issue...I think that Chizik will do wonders here at Auburn!

auburn4ever, all I can say is "You have issues brother". Enough with the negativity man, whether not Chizick is a success or not(I'm betting on success) I'm sure JJ hired who he felt was the best man for the job. JJ is an Auburn man, played for Dye and you can bet he loves Auburn as do the rest of us. You need to cut the guy some slack!

I don't believe we got the best HC for our money. I think we got the best Coaching staff for our money. We had a decent coaching staff with a good head coach and that got us mediocrity (save 13-0 season). Im excited about having argueably the best coaching STAFF in the NCAA. I wasn't happy with the hire of Chizik to begin with but now Im more excited witht his staff then I have been in a couple years. I'm with JJ on this one ..whether he turns out to be right or wrong.

How quickly people forget Chizicks success at Auburn and Texas. Chizick is a great coach in spite of his record at Iowa State, which I believe is a pretty hard place to be successful at. How many coaches before him were successful at Iowa State? I guess they were supposed to be winning 8 to 10 games by his second season at IS, are you for real! The guy was a solid hire by JJ, he knows the SEC and has ties throughout the south and southwest. I think we got our money's worth! By the way Chizick played a pretty important role in that 13-0 season.

Jay Jacobs is an Auburn Man, he hired who he thought was the best fit for Auburn. I believe he was right just looking at what Coach Chizik has done in a very short time. Assembling one of the best coaching staffs in the nation who happens to be great recruiters too, bringing a very impressive recruiting class in this year. Coach Chizik may have Auburn turned around on the field this year or he may not for a couple of years. Either way I'm standing behind these guys all the way, they have the passion, fire and dedication to make Auburn even better! War Eagle!!

I don't know how we are still talking about this.  JJ has overseen a turnaround in the Men's BB Program, dominance by the ladies, the hiring of an exciting football staff, a really good recruiting year.  I don't see the problem with him.  Let's not forget the building of a new basketball arena.  All I see are winners the last 6 months.  And I don't lay the blame for the football program last year at his feet either.  When he saw that things were not going well, he made a change.  I don't see the bad side for this guy. 

Mostly, though, how do you blame him for us not making the NCAA's.  He's not responsible for our bad losses or our 2-5 SEC start.  We should have been in the tournament, and if we had handled tennessee we would be.  I don't see what he has done to hurt us in that situation  :dunno:

Plus its hard to schedule better teams when you are viewed as weaking their schedule. The committie would rather you lose to a quality opponet than beat someone who is down. So its not all that easy to schedule tough teams when they dont see any benifit in playing you. That should change in the near future.

Archived