Lebo to VCU?

Has anyone seen the story in the Birmingham News that Lebo is on VCU's short list of coaches they want?

With Grant gone to Tide, VCU looking to AU's Lebo?

"Jeff Lebo has popped up on Virginia Commonwealth's initial list for a new basketball coach, but Auburn officials said Saturday that VCU has not contacted the school seeking permission to talk to its basketball coach.

The Richmond Dispatch said Saturday that VCU Athletics Director Norwood Teague indicated that Lebo was on his initial list of candidates to replace Anthony Grant, who was hired by Alabama on Friday.

Teague and Lebo know each other: They were students together at North Carolina in the 1980s."

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/123831454226910.xml&coll=2

What are your thoughts that Lebo may leave?  Who would replace him?  Sonny Smith part II?

:dunno:

Billy Gillispie is available, and has SEC experience.

Doubt AU would want to spend what it would take to get a big name here.  :dunno:

If we want a winning basketball program, we'll have to spend the big bucks. $puat did for their football coach. I don't know what their paying their new basketball coach.

A friend of mine who listens to pf says he's laughing and having a field day over the thought that AU could lose their coach.

Isn't it wild that only a few weeks ago, some folks were ready to see Lebo leave and now we are afraid he might..

Although I dont think VCU would be a step up for him...Also imo, AU could spend anything they want for a coach if they set that sport as a priority or significant draw...I would think the athletic department is one of the few areas that operates on a surplus of revenues?

I hope Lebo stays

I'm not falling for JJ's "money is no issue in our search" statement. I fell for it last December Jay told everyone that. I'll never believe him again.

Isn't it wild that only a few weeks ago, some folks were ready to see Lebo leave and now we are afraid he might..

I hope Lebo stays

I am not afraid he might leave.  I am no longer calling for him to be fired, but not really sold on him either.  I think his season warrants him getting another season to see if he can build on it.  If he decides to go to VCU, I won't lose any sleep either.  I think he is a decent X & O's coach, and not so good recruiter. 

He sure is bringing in some decent recruits this coming year to not be a good recruiter.  It would hurt us if he left unless we could go out and get a proven winner.  Gillespie is about to go to thUGA from what I hear and I don't see Mike Anderson coming here.  I believe he may have just turned Memphis down.

I am glad that was put out early so as not to affect recruiting.  As I stated earlier, I was not hoping Lebo left, (I wouldn't have been upset either.)  I think he deserves a chance to try to build on what he has accomplished in the past year.  I just hope he does.

It batter not take another 5 years to have another winning record and hopefully next time play in the big dance. We should not been playing in the NIT.

Archived