While enjoying this year some thoughts about next year

HVAU

Looking over the roster for who we lose this year I was really surprised and really hopeful for next year.  With some good recruiting, which is what appears to be happening, Auburn should be in excellent shape with some veteran playmakers and some of the young talent that has really matured this year and should continue to do so.

There are some other losses to graduation, but these are the most notable playmakers.  Also, there is always the possibility of early entries to the NFL.  Hopefully, we will not experience that too much.

Here is what I saw:

Notable players we will be losing and possible stand-ins:

Chris Todd Tyrik Rollison

Ben Tate             Fannin, McCalebb and Aycock

Gabe McKenzie Lutzenkirchen

Tommy Trott Woods

Clayton Crofoot ???

Andrew McCain Smith

Antonio Coleman Farmer, Ford, Goggans

Jake Ricks Clayton, Lykes

Walt McFadden Washington

Clinton Durst Shoemaker

What do you think, and who do you think will come in with this recruiting class to step in and fill some voids?

Lutz will replace Trott.

Tyrik will be our starting QB.

This staff is putting together a stellar recruiting class....I believe many of the incoming freshman will see playing time. 

Cody Parkey - top kicker in america will handle kick off duty.  He can put it deep in the end zone on a consistent basis.

Dyer - will see immediate action at RB.

Goodwin, Reed and Richardson will see action at WR.

Coleman and Christian will see action on the offensive line.

Owens, Holland, Curry will see immediate action at LB.

Not sure what the plans are for Bonomolo....he is a beast that may get playing time right away.

There are some other losses to graduation, but these are the most notable playmakers.  Also, there is always the possibility of early entries to the NFL.  Hopefully, we will not experience that too much.

Who would leave early for the NFL?  The only one I could see would be Bynes.  I don't see him leaving that easy though.

Who would leave early for the NFL?  The only one I could see would be Bynes.  I don't see him leaving that easy though.

fannin might but i doubt it

Bynes? Come on.  No way he is ready for the next level unless he wants to follow Blackmon to the CFL.  He still has work to do at Auburn and he will see it through.   

I am thinking that Eric Smith may slide into more of an every down back next year. I could be wrong, but I could totally see that happening. He reminds me a lot of Rudi Johnson. I think that Dyer will def play, but I think that Eric Smith may slide into a starting RB spot toting the ball for AU.

RB Depth Chart should be interesting next year.

Just with guys already on the team, we have four really good backs in Eric Smith, Mario Fannin, Donte Aycock, and Onterrio McCalebb.

I have no idea how it will shake out. Mario Fannin is a great running back and with Ben Tate gone it would be difficult to not have him take over for Ben Tate. Eric Smith is also a dominant running back and we really dont know yet how good Aycock is.

This is without whatever RBs we pick up in this recruiting class. Overall, it's a really good situation.

As far as the QB situation goes, I think the favorite for the starting job will be Neil Caudle. I don't think he's a huge favorite, but Tyrik Rollison is really going to have to go above and beyond to prove he can coordinate the offense.

Josh Bynes won't be leaving for the NFL early. He hasn't had the year to make him a higher round pick. He's got all of the physical traits but having another year in the SEC is going to help him out. You can expect him to stay put.

Gabe McKenzie isn't in the TE mix now so his replacement would be on the defensive side of the ball if anything. Clearly, Phillip Lutzenkirchen is in line to take the starting TE spot. After him, it would most likely be Bailey Woods.

Goodwin, Richardson, Benton, Stallworth, PP-L, and Blake (and any other recruit for the 2010 class) will all still be behind Zachery, Darvin Adamas, and Mario Fannin (depending on how he's used next year). Beyond the top three, it's anyone's guess.  It's hard to judge how recievers will mature year to year.

That's my take. I don't know enough defensively to make any calls on that. I do think Nosa will be one of probably two players to fill Antonio Coleman's spot.

Who steps up the most for the Cornerback position?

Demond and Neiko will start. Past them, I have no idea.

Offensively, if we have a quarterback who can step up and manage the game and take some pressure off the running game, I see us being much better on offense.  Our line stays intact and should add some quality depth for the first time in 3 years.  Our receivers WILL BE better, we return all of them and add a few more good ones and we really have a few too many to play.  At TE I think that Lutz will be better than Trott.  The only other position that worries me is running back and replacing Ben Tate.  Ben will be tough to replace but between Eric Smith and Mario Fannin, if need be, we will be ok in the backfield and this really doesn't acocunt for the possibility of Dyer, Lattimore or Seastrunk coming in.  If one or two of the big three backs come in, I would think that McCalleb will be studying under Fannin at the HBack and I am just not sure where Aycock fits in, maybe he can step up.

Defensively, sure we add depth but we also lose some of our line.  We will end up adding possibly 5 or 6 defensive lineman in this class and possibly 5 linebackers, and every single one of them are important for the next couple years.  Our secondary is what worries me, with McFadden leaving and Harry Adams is already gone, we need 3 or 4 more at corner.  We return Washington and Thorpe, but outside of those two I am not sure if anyone has seen any quality playing time at corner.  I would expect the coaches to really kick up the recruiting for two more corners.  I think we are set at safety between Slade, Bates and McNeil and, hopefully, Zac Etheridge.

Overall, we just don't lose a lot of players this year and we should really see the team improve on this season with another leap adding depth in the class and some major talent too.

Who steps up the most for the Cornerback position?

Demond and Neiko will start. Past them, I have no idea.

I see Mincy coming in and making an impact.  If we could possibly add D'Quan Minzie it would help the depth.

at QB, don't look past Trotter or more appropriately Mosely. I think these two along with

Tyrik will be the final three

Mattco.  That CB issue was what I was kind of worried about.  There is not going to much depth there unless there are some good back-ups that we just haven't seen play yet.

Just thought about it, what are we recruiting DJ Howard and Shaun Kitchens for?  I know that Kitchens can play WR, but if we get Reed, Goodwin and Richardson, do we really need Kitchens to play receiver or could he be moved to corner?  What about Howard?  He is playing at running back now but he was said to be recruited as a defensive player, what position?  Is he being recruited as a safety or can he play corner?

The reason I ask this is that I believe both are being recruited as safeties and if we end up with Dixon, a safety, and Mincy, another safety, do we really need them at safety when we are extremely thin at corner.

I think Mincy ends up at CB, as for Howard he will probably get a shot at RB and if that doesn't work out he will be moved to Safety.  Kitchens best position on defense is linebacker but there is no telling where he ends up.

Just thought about it, what are we recruiting DJ Howard and Shaun Kitchens for?  I know that Kitchens can play WR, but if we get Reed, Goodwin and Richardson, do we really need Kitchens to play receiver or could he be moved to corner?  What about Howard?  He is playing at running back now but he was said to be recruited as a defensive player, what position?  Is he being recruited as a safety or can he play corner?

The reason I ask this is that I believe both are being recruited as safeties and if we end up with Dixon, a safety, and Mincy, another safety, do we really need them at safety when we are extremely thin at corner.

Mincy will play corner. Howard is being recruited as a safety, but he might be capable of playing corner as well. Kitchens is too big to play corner, though, and if we end up getting either Beasley or Moseley, there really won't be room for him to play linebacker. Maybe he can play as a big safety, I don't know, but I think we'll get another corner or two.

If we land Dyer and LS or ML,Aycock could be a good candidate to play LB.He has the size and speed..

He does, however, The LBs we are pulling in have the experience and talent at that position to ensure Aycock would seldom see the field.  I think that would be a waste of the kid's talent, he's going to be a good back IMO.

fannin might but i doubt it

Fannin would have some argument, but not a great one.  Fannin's future is probably based on the recruiting at the RB position.  WR already has recruits.

If we land Dyer and LS or ML,Aycock could be a good candidate to play LB.He has the size and speed..

He does, however, The LBs we are pulling in have the experience and talent at that position to ensure Aycock would seldom see the field.  I think that would be a waste of the kid's talent, he's going to be a good back IMO.

I see him filling in for Fannin and/or Kodi in the future.

Archived