ROLL CALL: Most Famous Person You've Met

country boy eddie is a sterling example of someone making it 'big' (if you can call it that) that had no business doing so.

who was that little ole gal he had on there that played the bango...

wendy?

i forget.

she made it "big" didn't she???

i guess he's dead by now isn't he?

ct

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have seen Country Boy Eddie - in the early 80's he played a small little arts & crafts festival my teeny tiny hometown has every year.

Total thread hjack here - does anyone from around the Gadsden area remember listening to WAAX - the Big Wax? My grandfather listened to it every morning - a station right off of HeeHaw... :D Gospel, old time country, bluegrass, farm reports, etc. I am not sure if it is still around or not.

please...hijack away! this thread has run its course.

but...let me refer you to the poll :D

i grew up around gadsden (dad's from hokes bluff...i grew up in oneonta)...and i don't remember this station, but then again, i'm a young young very young guy.

ct

I remember WAAX. It sat on Rainbow Drive just before the mall. I met the group Alabama there just as they hit it big with Love in the First Degree. Some friends and I skipped school and went up there to meet them. I had no idea who they were at the time, but it was an excuse to bail on my Democracy and Trig class. I gave their autographs away to this girl I was dating back then. Chalk another one up to youthful desire.

CT, the banjo playing girl you mentioned from the Country Boy Eddie show was Wendy Holcomb. She was only 13 or so, and had started to become a big time musician. She died suddenly from a heart disorder. Probably the biggest person to get their start on that show was Tammy Wynette. She was one of the backup singers in the Country Boy Eddie Band before she got discovered.

As for Eddie himself, I think he's still alive.

I remember WAAX. It sat on Rainbow Drive just before the mall. I met the group Alabama there just as they hit it big with Love in the First Degree. Some friends and I skipped school and went up there to meet them. I had no idea who they were at the time, but it was an excuse to bail on my Democracy and Trig class. I gave their autographs away to this girl I was dating back then. Chalk another one up to youthful desire.

CT, the banjo playing girl you mentioned from the Country Boy Eddie show was Wendy Holcomb. She was only 13 or so, and had started to become a big time musician. She died suddenly from a heart disorder. Probably the biggest person to get their start on that show was Tammy Wynette. She was one of the backup singers in the Country Boy Eddie Band before she got discovered.

As for Eddie himself, I think he's still alive.

I thought I saw where he died a couple of years ago. And man, my wife thinks I'm crazy when she sees me dump that Golden Eagle on top of a big glob of butter, mix it up, and douse my biscuit in it. My little girl loves it though. Can't get my boy to try it. I have fond memories as a little boy getting my dad to mix up my golden eagle.

And CT, you so old, that when God said "let there be light".....you flipped the switch!!!! Didn't think I caught that didya?

Also, I just found out that Mark Wills lives in my subdivision. I'll have to get a pic and send it in.

It was nineteen something!

Dang...buncha name dropping dudes and cats in here.

I met Kenny Stabler when I was about 9...he's about the only claim to fame my hometown of Foley has.

My famous encounters were

Kenny Stabler

Coach Greg Popovich

Lee Majors

Jim Dandy (BlackOak Ark.)

Clint Howard (Rons bro.)

Dang...buncha name dropping dudes and cats in here.

I met Kenny Stabler when I was about 9...he's about the only claim to fame my hometown of Foley has.

When I was a senior in high school, I got to attend the UA football banquet and Kenny spoke. Told one of the dirtiest jokes I've ever heard. Can't remember how it went, but I thought my mom was gonna crawl under the table. He stumbled into me later that evening.

Golden Eagle syrup is good, BUT....

(Y'all sing along now...)

"YELLER LABEL SOPPIN' SYRUP...PRIDE OF ALERBAM!"

Those of you who remember Big Wax should remember that jingle.

Bo Jackson- baseball game

Hal Baird- baseball camp

Miami Dolphins Team- staying at the same hotel in Ft. Lauderdale with them

Wade Boggs- Buckmasters

Ben McDonald-same

Will Clark-same

Brian Urlacker- went VIP at the Voodoo Lounge in Ft. Lauderdale and he was up there

that is all i can think of.. maybe some more, but not sure. :au:

Archived