Auburn Voted Worst Basketball Town in the SEC

AUSportTalk

Worst Basketball Town: Auburn (29).

Comment: "No one else is even close. This is a school that once booted the basketball team across the state line to Columbus, Ga., to play an exhibition game because the school scheduled an R.E.M. concert for the same night and didn't tell the basketball coach. And that was during the team's never-before, never-again run of five straight NCAA tournament trips. What does it say when they have to drop a curtain [to cover the upper deck] and down-size the seating capacity for high-flying Chris Porter and the 1999 SEC champions that went 29-4? When they budget $92.5 million for a new arena but set the seating capacity at 9,600? Football's pregame Tiger Walks draw bigger and more enthusiastic crowds."

Also receiving votes: Tuscaloosa, Athens, Oxford.

Keep in mind that Kevin Scarbinski has admitted to being the man who wrote the above comment. I realize that Auburn is not packing them in, but if AU gets the right coach who wins then the fans will flock to the new state of the art arena (less seats is better, more noise and will be much more comfortable). Here is the link where he owns up to making the above comment and he is all about hating Auburn unconditionally...

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/02/who_said_auburn_is_the_secs_wo.html 

I would find it hard to believe that we (Auburn University) is building a new gym and not hiring a new coach to fill it. Jeff Lebo is the Doug Barfield of coaching. Sorry but its true. It is sickening to watch yet I find myself glued to the tube. I know that football is the biggest money maker and my personal favorite but there is no excuse for this basketball program. 1999 was exciting I wish we could return to those winning ways and we can with a new Coach. Lebo was a good basketball player and as much as he shot 3 pointers you can see where he gets the gameplan. We need some big athletes on the inside as well as some good 3 pt. shooters. If we live by the 3 alone we shall loose everytime. It is truly like watching street ball where no one is on the same page >:(:banghead:

Do y'all think that Anderson would give us the finger if we went after him?

Why would he? That was Ed Richardsons blunder. Ed had to be a bammer to screw that up.. We all know he appointed by a bammer.

We know he can recruit, why don't we right the wrong we made and get him this time. I like Lebo, he is a good guy but we need a coach like Mike or Chuck Person.

Auburn has been very good, dare I say great in the past, they can do it agian if we get the right coach.  I was there when you couldnt get a seat in Beard Eaves and it kinda pissed me off because of all the band wagoners taking up the seats but we need the band wagoners to come back. It embarrassing right now when a game is televised and you see how empty the place is.  I am sick of watching jungle gym basketball. Its time to go get the good recruits and the one or two NBA prospects we used to have every year with Ellis. Auburn could be great in both basketball and football if they get the right guy in there.  I was very excited when they started building the new kick a*s arena but I expect them to hire a new exciting coach to go along with it.  Travis Ford is the man, Im telling you it would be slam dunk hire and we could start competing for the SEC as soon as next season; or at least the West as I dont see UK falling off as long as Calipari is there. 

Auburn has been very good, dare I say great in the past, they can do it agian if we get the right coach.  I was there when you couldnt get a seat in Beard Eaves and it kinda pissed me off because of all the band wagoners taking up the seats but we need the band wagoners to come back. It embarrassing right now when a game is televised and you see how empty the place is.  I am sick of watching jungle gym basketball. Its time to go get the good recruits and the one or two NBA prospects we used to have every year with Ellis. Auburn could be great in both basketball and football if they get the right guy in there.  I was very excited when they started building the new kick a*s arena but I expect them to hire a new exciting coach to go along with it.  Travis Ford is the man, Im telling you it would be slam dunk hire and we could start competing for the SEC as soon as next season; or at least the West as I dont see UK falling off as long as Calipari is there. 

Well i guess thats why we are called the Tigers  :laugh:  :thumbsup:

We don't have continue being this bad. Since we're moving in a new stadium next year, I hope we'll have a new coach. To the BOTs: H ire Chuck Person or Danny Manning.

If you build it they will come. We need a coach who can build our basketball program into a winner. If we do that, we'll pack that new building for every game.

Granted the New Arena is very state of the art however it is smaller than the coliseum.  I took a tour of it and it not only seats less but the ceilings aren't as high and it feels like a birmingham southern BBall Court.  It's tiny.  The practice courts are standard.  The weight room and locker rooms will be very nice.  The money really went to new offices for the kinesiology department and the ticket offices.  The museum will also be housed in the building.  More of the money went towards the offices/educational side of it and less to the actual basketball part however it should help us with recruiting

Archived