Favorite Beard-Eaves Memory

AUGRAD86

Last year's NIT tournament games are my best memory.  It felt so good to feel like AU basketball was on its way up.  I'm not trying to be a downer but at the time I had so much optimism.

Also, I wasn't around for most of the great moments that everyone else is posting.

My would be watching John Mengelt scoring 60 points against the turds, I think it was 69 or 70. My second favorite is seeing Pistol Pete Maverick play against us. He only scored 45 that night but I saw him take and make shots and passes that were unreal. Great memories.

Funny, I think I only went to two basketball games during my entire 4 years at Auburn (fall of 69 to May of 73) are the two you mentioned.  I seem to recall that either Mengelt or Pistol Pete was sick (flu, fever?) when they played.

You may be right I think it was Mengelt but not sure. You know how the memory ain't what it use to be.

Midnight Madness 2000 or 2001 I can't remeber exactly. Partying that Friday night before a football game with my school buddies. Adam Harrington (anybody remember him) won the team dunk contest. Long night- good memories!

I wish that I could be there to see Wallace Tinker take that shot at the end. I know Wallace personally and he has told me many stories about playing against Pistol Pete and Bob Lanier (Lanier played at St. Bonaventure), etc. He told me that when they played in the old barn that they would run onto the court as the band played Dixie. He said that that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Is the game going to be on TV?

:we:

"Adam Harrington (anybody remember him)"

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah!  Still bazaar to me that he decided to leave after his junior year.  Great talent and could have used that senior year to fine tune his talents and recieve more notice.  I worked with the Columbus Riverdragons of the "D" League for a year when Adam played for them.  Really nice guy and fun to watch on that level, too. 

Best memories were going to games and "Midnight Madness'" with my younger brother back when I was a student.  We had some great fun going to those games.

(Sonny Smith/Tommy Joe Eagles time frame.)

:wedance:

Archived