It's Time For An AU Radio Talk Show

I try to listen to Finescum every now and then. When I first heard of his show, I assumed it was a "fair and balanced" sports talk show. Then I heard him ridicule an AU fan who called and our beloved "Shug." I didn't listen again for weeks.

Lately, it has been amusing to listen to the Bammers blame Fulmer's wasteline for all that is wrong at Bammer. Then at the end of last week another AU fan called about the probationary periods AU has suffered. Once again, Finescum ridiculed him, said something derrogatory about Shug, cut the connection and chuckled. That's done it for me.

It seems that there's room in Alabama for an AU slanted radio talk show. I'm for seeing that one is established. Furthermore, I do not believe that AU coaches or ex-coaches should be appearing on that show.

Does anyone like this idea? Anyone know how we can make it happen?

War Eagle!

Guest AuNuma1
Furthermore, I do not believe that AU coaches or ex-coaches should be appearing on that show.

From what I've heard, Coach Dye has said he'll be back on the show this season...even after the fallout last year and how he wouldn't do it again. Personally, I don't see why he even tries...I can't stand Finebaum.

I think Finebaum has a pretty decent show. Its unfortuate that right now his shows have to be so UA/NCAA intesnsive. I find myself rolling my eyes often at some of his callers.

But Finebaum calls it like it is. You say its a 'bammer' show...but he gets his digs in at UA often as well.

He has a high profile show and gets really good guests. Maybe you're better off just listening to his interviews once they are posted on his website. (that way you can just hit the highlights)

I used to think that way years ago, but mainly from what I heard about him. I started listening more on my own and I disagree with him being a Bama Kool-Aider. I admit there are times I want to get at him throught that radio, but I think Finebaum is balanced because I have seen him bash both schools just about the same. Seeing how he graduated form UT, you would think he would favor them even, but is exactly the opposite. If anything, you can call Finebaum a UT hater, but I think he is balanced on both schools. Thing with Finebaum is, if you happen to listen to him on a day he is bashing your school, you are going to accuse him of playing favorites. I have heard bammers call in on his show and accuse him of favoring :au: . On the flip side, we :au: fans have accused him of favoring bammers. With that happeing quite often from both sides, that actually tells me that he is being pretty balanced. I think people get the perception that he is not balance because he does not do alot of "sunshine pumping" so when he is on bashing our team, he really knows how to push our buttons, thus we think he is favoring the other side. Think about this, when he is bashing one of the schools, how often to you ever hear him being positive about the other one? Hardly never. I don't blame him for the whole Pat Dye fiasco, because it was Dye that was being difficult and not answering Finebaum's questions and actually being a little bit of a smart-aleck. Dye was paid to be a weekly guest, so if he is not meeting those expectations, you can' blame Finebaum for getting irrated at Dye. Just my two cents.

ranger I agree with you totally...but isnt it funny that we say a guy is balance because he bashes both schools equally? Why do you never hear anyone say "that guy is equally positive about both schools"?

He's had some really good interviews with AU people recently. Even had Tubbs on for an hour during media days. And that was a good interview.

fineBUM is attempting to entertain. IF you want SERIOUS sports talk, you will not get it from him...ever.

fineBUM is attempting to entertain. IF you want SERIOUS sports talk, you will not get it from him...ever.

Please tell me what sports show is not attempting to entertain? What host does not base their show on ratings? I think there is no debate there. What was at questions was the fact if Finebaum was a bama kool-aid drinker. Like I said, he usually does not say alot of positive things. On the other hand, the man seems to always have the scoop on what goes on in state and on other SEC schools, which makes it hard to not listen to him. Some days, I have to turn him off because he bugs me so bad. I have not listened to him much lately because he has talked the Gallion situation to death and I wish he would move on. I did catch the CTT interview and it was a pretty good one.

It seems that there's room in Alabama for an AU slanted radio talk show. I'm for seeing that one is established. Furthermore, I do not believe that AU coaches or ex-coaches should be appearing on that show.

Does anyone like this idea? Anyone know how we can make it happen?

War Eagle!

I live in Washington state so my only exposure to his show is through his internet site. I can't claim to have listened to him enough to want to throttle his pencil neck, though. His interviews are good and I get a big kick out of some of his humorous clips. Shane from Centerpoint always makes my day -- there's just something about listening to that quintessential bammie that makes me glad to call myself an AU man. :D

Now, for your next point about CTT or CPD ever appearing on the show again. CTT knows that Finebaum's show is the largest one around. There's no better way to reach that large an audience at one time. The show is a two-way street. CTT comes on and has a free mike for up to 30 min at a time. Same for Pat Dye & Chett Williams and any of the asst coaches. They can all get "the message" out on the air much more efficiently than hitting all the alumni clubs.

I also don't think an "all AU" radio station would have a large enough audience to be a financial success.

You guys have to understand PF. He is one part Jerry Springer, one part child, one part fan, one part best reporter in the SouthEast.

1) He can be so low, slamming Carnell last year.

2) He knows that there is no bad publicity. He will get good attention or bad attnetion, just like a child.

3) The interview between Dye and Stallings was all time great radio.

4) Face it. If there is a story out there you want to know about, you tune in. He will have the best scoop...eventually. He may have to get or give a black eye or two (Mike Price and Destiny) but he will eventually get it right.

It's called the Limbaugh effect. People who love him listen to him all the time, but people who hate him listen to him even more. Everyone thinks he's against their team and all for their rival, but in truth he's just playing everyone against each other for the ratings. The more people he pisses off, the better his ratings. Let's face it, he's right up there with Limbaugh and Stern in the way he can get people to tune in no matter what they think of him.

If you read "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John, he actually shows a human side of Finebaum, one that's frightened wherever he goes. Of course,t he book's not out yet, I just got an advanced copy from half.com. It was very interesting to see what someone thought if him who knew him from the other side.

But, there's no better place to find out the bad news first.

Couldn't have said it any better David and Streyder. :D That sums all Finebaum's show in a nutshell.

One time Finebaum said that the best way to get callers was to say something like Alabama has 4 National Championships, so yes he knows what he's doing.

Two problems I have with Finebaum:

1) I doubt ADs are glued to the radio waiting to hear if the almighty Finebaum wants their coach fired.

2) I don't see that he asks tough questions if it is one of his friends he is interviewing.

If you listen long enough, Finebaum will show you it's all just entertainment. You really can't take him too seriously when he starts taking shots at one individual or another. No doubt, he has crossed the line many times with situations like his ripping Carnell. The other side is that occasionally, he'll get serious and tell you what he really thinks about someone like CTT. Last week, he was really giving Tubs props and said they are good friends etc. CTT is a regular and if he really took PF seriously, I doubt he'd appear on his show so much.

I think the Bama Kool-ade impression comes from his audience. Not a flame, it's just a fact that 90% of his calls are Bama fans and want to discuss UA. He'd probably lose half his audience if he continually talked AU football. If it bugs you, just find out when he's gonna' have David Lamb on again and then tune in. One day of David Lamb and his "Bear was a cheater, Stallings was a cheater and Bama should have gotten the death penalty" rants will do wonders for your soul. :D

In MY opinion, there is and should be a difference between entertainment and SERIOUS sports talk. When I was a younger man, I watched Walter Cronkite to get the NEWS. Now, there is NO WAY I would watch Dan BLATHER on CBS,

THIS is the best example I could think of.....Go ahead fineBUM...Entertain...Just don't expect to be considered a serious journalist/newsman. B)

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! !

Exactly Tim. Kind of like watching the WWE and arguing it's fake. Take it for what it is, entertainment. Occasionally, they show you the human side of these guys, going to Iraq or visiting hospitals. They're people like you and me. What they do for a living is entertainment, pure and simple.

Finebaum is all about keeping his audience entertained. He'll say plenty of stuff to pi$$ you off, but don't take it too seriously. Tomorrow, he'll be giving your man props and dogging out someone else.

WT, it is also hard to not take him serious when it seems like he is the one getting all the scoops on all the in state schools and what happens in other SEC schools. I hear about alot of stuff for the first time from Finebaum. Then, a day or two later, you might hear it on you local news or in you daily fishwrap.

It's like this, if you want to hear alot about :au: , bama, or other SEC schools, then Finebaum is your man. If you want to hear about professional or other national sports, then Finebaum is not the show for you. Heck, even the local sports talk station in my area, WUMP 730, does not talk about local sports as much as I would like.

While 90% of his show is just entertainment and catering to his audience, you are right Ranger. I gotta give the guy props for being incredibly well connected. He does have a ton of inside scoop that he just gives you bits and pieces of it. Just enough to keep you listening. :unsure:

"I'll tell you what, Phillip Fulmer will regret the day he ever set foot in Alabama to recruit jason Swain" :blink::blink::o

Wait a minute, what did he mean by that? Is UT gonna get popped? How come he went to break right when he said it?

What I don't get is why can't another person who is entertaining go into competition against Slimebomb and do it like he does except raz Bama and support AU?

"I'll tell you what, Phillip Fulmer will regret the day he ever set foot in Alabama to recruit jason Swain" :blink::blink::o

Wait a minute, what did he mean by that? Is UT gonna get popped? How come he went to break right when he said it?

Wow, I missed that! Sounds like Finebaum has some more insider info! Phil better look out because Finebaum has taken a personal dislike for him. Finebaum can be a jerk to coaches at times, but this is the only time I ever remember him having such a dislike for a coach. I believe Fulmer feels the same way about Finebaum. I know coaches that have gotten ticked at Finebaum before, but they still came on the show, but Phil will not come on the show at all!

I agree that alot of his show is entertainment and sometimes he just flat ticks me off, but I can't ignore the fact that the guy does get the scoop most of the time.

Archived