This Recruiting class ranked5Th nationally by hoop scoops

Droxside

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is HoopScoop?

reputable sites = rivals, scout, espn

HoopScoop is pretty much recognized as the premier BB recruiting site. The others focus on FB and treat BB like an unwanted stepchild.

What is HoopScoop?

reputable sites = rivals, scout, espn

HoopScoop is pretty much recognized as the premier BB recruiting site. The others focus on FB and treat BB like an unwanted stepchild.

^This^  They actually have quite a bit of credibility in the College Basketball world, as I was alluding to in another post in this forum yesterday.

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111809aaa.html

If you go to Hoop Scoop's site, there are a number of problems with this.

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.  For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

Great post.  I noticed your points a while back, but no one wants to see the truth in that.  I don't doubt hoop scoop is a reputable site, but state all the facts about them....as in how they rate a class...it's not like how Scout/Rivals/ESPN rate classes. 

Thanks for the post.

:wedance:

To be honest I really do not care if the class is ranked 5Th or 50Th so long as the players coming in have talent. I put very little stock in any recruiting rankings...

To be honest I really do not care if the class is ranked 5Th or 50Th so long as the players coming in have talent. I put very little stock in any recruiting rankings...

If you don't care or put stock in these rankings, why did you bring them up?

LoL

I brought them up to show the players that we have signed and someone thinks we have a talented early group and I agree. Being ranked 5Th is nice just as being ranked 3RD in football is nice, but they are arbitrary numbers put on players by people who sell subscriptions and really mean nothing since these players have not played one minute yet... It does show that someone thinks we have signed some talented players and that is nice...

But I told you the rankings have little to do with quality and more to do with quantity.  That means the players aren't necessarily talented.

But I told you the rankings have little to do with quality and more to do with quantity.  That means the players aren't necessarily talented.

Point taken...I agree. To base a class on rankings is a joke because they are arbitrary and bias as a rule to one or more things that the particular service doing the ranking believes is important. The players auburn signed are talented as a whole and just because ESPN or Rivals or anyone else ranks others higher does not change this. The #5 ranking says that someone thinks these players are good and that is nice..

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

+1....that is what our high ranking boils down to, not overall talent, but because of the number of players we signed.

Yeah the in comming recruiting class is over hyped. It does look to be one of Lebo's better recruiting classes, but thats not saying much.

Yeah the in comming recruiting class is over hyped. It does look to be one of Lebo's better recruiting classes, but thats not saying much.

It is not just over-hyped, it is misleading.  The only reason it is #5 is the sheer number of early signees.  It would be like saying signing 5 1* players is equal to signing 1 5* player in football.  I know those numbers are no guarantee, but we all still loved our 5* players on signing day didn't we? 

It's a good class and probably will be what saves Lebo's job...if indeed he does get to stay. I've thought several times abot doing a "Recruiting Trail Roundball Edition". Would yall be interested in that?...Or maybe I should say How interested would yall be in that?

It's a good class and probably will be what saves Lebo's job...if indeed he does get to stay. I've thought several times abot doing a "Recruiting Trail Roundball Edition". Would yall be interested in that?...Or maybe I should say How interested would yall be in that?

I would be greatly interested in something like that.  I wish the AU family showed more love for the BB team, like they do in football.  I think looking at that class, it is an ok class, but not a top 5 class.  I am hoping that class will help the new coach, and not save Lebo's job.

Mayor, this class isn't even a top 5 class in the SEC, much less the nation.  I would be happy if you evaluated our talent compared to what the rest of the SEC has coming in. 

When comparing the Scout rankings, be aware that Scout doesn't count JUCO players. They don't do this in football either.

Two of Lebo's recruits are JUCO players and one of them is considered to be the top JUCO guard in the nation, just like Cam Newton was the top JUCO QB.

The fans would show more love to this baksetball program if we had a better coach. A coach wouldn't lose to teams like Sam Houston State and Troy.

When comparing the Scout rankings, be aware that Scout doesn't count JUCO players. They don't do this in football either.

Two of Lebo's recruits are JUCO players and one of them is considered to be the top JUCO guard in the nation, just like Cam Newton was the top JUCO QB.

I pointed this out on another thread, also.  HoopScoop is the only one I know of that takes JUCOs into consideration.  Not a bad class at all, regardless, imo.  Also, one guy, besides Salter and Kemp, that I believe we'll be very happy with is Adrien Forbes.  Solid basketball player!

From Scout's website:

"ABOUT OUR TEAM RANKINGS Scout.com team basketball recruiting rankings are based on the Quality, Quantity and Potential of players committed to that school. We consider only players who have made a Verbal commitment to that school. We include high school, prep school, junior college, and transfer players in our overall rankings.

Quality: Maryland in 2002 was the first team in a long time to win the title without a McDonald's All-American on the roster. Translation: to win big you need the horses. Get one of our Top 25 players and we'll hand out the props.

Quantity: It's definitely a factor but to score big points, Scout.com would like to see quality mixed in with the quantity. We'll take a smaller recruiting class with top talent over a larger, lesser talented class any day.

Potential: One thing to consider when evaluating players is projecting room to grow. For instance, ask yourself a basic question: has player A peaked and maxed out his talent? Or is he a good player now who is on the upswing of his career? We evaluate a player's ability to max out his potential. What is his capacity for learning, growing within a college environment? What's his work ethic and overall drive?

Final Rankings: Though all recruits from the school's recruiting class are listed, some recruits will not matriculate. The final team rankings take into account this attrition of players."

That should answer the differences between Scout's ratings and Hoop Scoop's.

Good to know.  Thanks for the input.  I had no idea that Scout took JUCOs into consideration.  Of course, I don't follow Scout so that may explain it.  HA!  Don't know if I neccesarily feel we have a top class nationally, but I do believe we are getting some pretty solid players this go round.  That was my only point besides pointing out that HoopScoop is a credible source for College basketball info.  Again, thanks for the educating.

Good to know.  Thanks for the input.  I had no idea that Scout took JUCOs into consideration.  Of course, I don't follow Scout so that may explain it.  HA!  Don't know if I neccesarily feel we have a top class nationally, but I do believe we are getting some pretty solid players this go round.  That was my only point besides pointing out that HoopScoop is a credible source for College basketball info.  Again, thanks for the educating.

No problem!  My main point is that everyone wearing Auburn-tinted glasses is heralding this class as being one of the best in the country when if you look at the players the other teams in the SEC has gotten, we are getting killed in recruiting.  Example, Scout does have Kemp as a 3 star.  He is our highest rated player.  Meanwhile, in the SEC West, Alabama has 2 4-star players, Arkansas has 1 4-star and 2 3-stars.  Mississippi has 2 3-stars.  LSU has 1 4-star and FOUR 3-stars.  Only Mississippi State could arguably have a worse class with only one 3-star player signed.

Archived