This Recruiting class ranked5Th nationally by hoop scoops

Droxside

Rivals has Kemp a 4 star, Payne and Steele at 3 stars, and Forbes and Salter are unrated due to their JUCO status.  Not sure why Houston is unrated, though.  I've heard good things on him.  Now, I do believe a solid case could be made on Forbes and most definitely Salter being 4 star quality if they were rated by Rivals.  Either way, I believe it is the best overall talent that Lebo has brought in at one time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like this class can help us out... but we all know that time will tell. I just hope the best works out for Auburn, whatever that needs to be

Yep, I want what's best for Auburn and still have very mixed emotions on how I feel about everything right now.

I feel like this class can help us out... but we all know that time will tell. I just hope the best works out for Auburn, whatever that needs to be

Yep, I want what's best for Auburn and still have very mixed emotions on how I feel about everything right now.

I thought if we beat Miss State, we would surely handle bama. argh!

You just never know what team you will get on any given day.  When playing their best, they can compete with anyone.  When playing sloppy and lethargic, they can be blown out by Sam Houston State.

Rivals has Kemp a 4 star, Payne and Steele at 3 stars, and Forbes and Salter are unrated due to their JUCO status.  Not sure why Houston is unrated, though.  I've heard good things on him.  Now, I do believe a solid case could be made on Forbes and most definitely Salter being 4 star quality if they were rated by Rivals.  Either way, I believe it is the best overall talent that Lebo has brought in at one time.

I'm not sure about RIVALS not rating JUCO talent.  Looking at the other SEC West teams (again all teams sans Miss. State are beating us) Arkansas has a highly rated JUCO player, but you're right on other schools.  Maybe they just rate those who were rated before their JUCO careers.  So, how come folks are saying Salter and Forbes are great players?  Is there a way to rate these players or is this just wishful thinking?

I'm not sure about RIVALS not rating JUCO talent.  Looking at the other SEC West teams (again all teams sans Miss. State are beating us) Arkansas has a highly rated JUCO player, but you're right on other schools.  Maybe they just rate those who were rated before their JUCO careers.  So, how come folks are saying Salter and Forbes are great players?  Is there a way to rate these players or is this just wishful thinking?

On those two, I am just going off what I hear from a few folks I know that are close to the basketball program.

On those two, I am just going off what I hear from a few folks I know that are close to the basketball program.

Yikes.  I don't like the sound of that!  I'd feel better with some unbiased sources.  Scout has them both at 1-star. 

The ones I speak of are very trusted and don't sugarcoat anything, so I take what they say as the gospel, so to speak.

Coaches? Players? Sports Information staff?

I can't for the life of me figure out why Scout would have Salter ranked as a 1 star.  I am looking into how they rank their JUCOs because things just don't add up to me.  He is ranked by ESPN as the number 3 overall PG in the nation (number 1 JUCO) with an overall grade of 87.  They are very high on this kid.

I guess the reason I said Scout doesn't rate JUCO players is that I didn't see Salter rated there. If they are going to rate the guy a 1-star that other services say is the top JUCO guard in the nation, they'd be better to not rate JUCO players at all.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Scout would have Salter ranked as a 1 star.  I am looking into how they rank their JUCOs because things just don't add up to me.  He is ranked by ESPN as the number 3 overall PG in the nation (number 1 JUCO) with an overall grade of 87.   They are very high on this kid.

I don't subscribe to Rivals and don't go to that site anymore.  But, Hoopscoops says Rivals has Salter rated as the #3 JUCO player and Forbes is the #10 JUCO player.  If this is correct, how in the world are they only given 1 star.  Are there no other JUCO players coming out this year?? 

I can't for the life of me figure out why Scout would have Salter ranked as a 1 star.  I am looking into how they rank their JUCOs because things just don't add up to me.  He is ranked by ESPN as the number 3 overall PG in the nation (number 1 JUCO) with an overall grade of 87.   They are very high on this kid.

I don't subscribe to Rivals and don't go to that site anymore.  But, Hoopscoops says Rivals has Salter rated as the #3 JUCO player and Forbes is the #10 JUCO player.  If this is correct, how in the world are they only given 1 star.  Are there no other JUCO players coming out this year??   

I have heard good things about both players being solid. We will have to wait and see how they pan out... but I believe they are better than 1 star ratings.

87 is not very high in the ESPN ratings and I believe Scout is used by ESPN.  If we use ESPN, our highest rated player (Payne-88) would be the lowest rated player on every other team in the SEC.

I think it is fair to say that this is Lebo's best class at Auburn. Salter, Kemp, Steele and Payne all have the potential to be good players. Forbes is suppossed to be a slightly more athletic and heavier Johnny Lett with a decent face up jump shot. I haven't heard anything about the Houston kid at all but I did see where he had a Cincinatti offer.

This is a little something I've heard about the 4 players that I mentioned 1st.

Salter- very quick, can break down a defense and shoots well from 3 with a nice pull up game. He is a pass 1st pg and should be an upgrade from Reed after he gets accustomed to playing at this level.

Kemp- Big time athlete with a long wingspan, runs and jumps very well. He is a little raw offensively but he has improved a lot this year at prep school. His biggest impact early will be on the defensive end. He is a big time shot blocker and that is something Auburn is in desperate need of.

Steele- big time shooter and winner. He is in the process of leading his team to a 3rd straight 2A state champinship in TN. He also has the ability to put the ball on the floor and has a mid range game that should enhance his 3 point shooting ability.

Payne- superior athlete that can finish around the rim. Needs work on his jump shot and his ball handling but other than Kemp I've been told he has the most upside of any other current commit. I don't know how much he will play as a freshman but he can definitely contribute on the defensive end and in transition if he gets minutes.

87-89: Mid-major plus prospect

Player could contribute for three or four years at a high-major program or have a significant impact as a freshman at a mid-major program.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, this is the classification they put him in.  Still should be way higher than a 1 star, though, imo.  As I  stated earlier (I believe?), he is Rivals' #3 overall JUCO prospect (#1 PG) and Forbes is Rivals' #10 overall JUCO prospect.  Not too shabby.

I think it is fair to say that this is Lebo's best class at Auburn. Salter, Kemp, Steele and Payne all have the potential to be good players. Forbes is suppossed to be a slightly more athletic and heavier Johnny Lett with a decent face up jump shot. I haven't heard anything about the Houston kid at all but I did see where he had a Cincinatti offer.

This is a little something I've heard about the 4 players that I mentioned 1st.

Salter- very quick, can break down a defense and shoots well from 3 with a nice pull up game. He is a pass 1st pg and should be an upgrade from Reed after he gets accustomed to playing at this level.

Kemp- Big time athlete with a long wingspan, runs and jumps very well. He is a little raw offensively but he has improved a lot this year at prep school. His biggest impact early will be on the defensive end. He is a big time shot blocker and that is something Auburn is in desperate need of.

Steele- big time shooter and winner. He is in the process of leading his team to a 3rd straight 2A state champinship in TN. He also has the ability to put the ball on the floor and has a mid range game that should enhance his 3 point shooting ability.

Payne- superior athlete that can finish around the rim. Needs work on his jump shot and his ball handling but other than Kemp I've been told he has the most upside of any other current commit. I don't know how much he will play as a freshman but he can definitely contribute on the defensive end and in transition if he gets minutes.

^Nice breakdown^  Thanks for sharing.

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111809aaa.html

It's a good class and probably will be what saves Lebo's job...if indeed he does get to stay. I've thought several times abot doing a "Recruiting Trail Roundball Edition". Would yall be interested in that?...Or maybe I should say How interested would yall be in that?

I would definitely be interested in you breaking down the players as they really are.

I just read the posts since I was last here. I just do not get why people put so much stock into where a service ranks this player or that player. Charles Barkley had one scholarship offer going into..This is from Wikipedia and I quote..."Barkley was born and raised in suburban Leeds, Alabama, ten miles (16 km) outside of Birmingham, and attended Leeds High School. As a junior, Barkley stood 5'10" (1.78 m) and weighed 220 pounds (99.8 kg). He failed to make the varsity team and was named as a reserve. However, during the summer Barkley grew to 6'4" and earned a starting position on the varsity team in his senior year. He averaged 19.1 points and 17.9 rebounds per game and led his team to a 26–3 record en route to the state semifinals.[6] Despite his improvement, Barkley garnered no attention from college scouts until the state high school semifinals, where he scored 26 points against Alabama's most highly recruited player, Bobby Lee Hurt.[6] An assistant to Auburn University's head coach, Sonny Smith, was at the game and reported seeing, "a fat guy... who can play like the wind"....Here is an excert regarding Chuck Person, the very first sentence..."Person attended Brantley High School in Brantley, Alabama and wasn't heavily recruited, but Auburn took a chance on him in 1982." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Chuck_Person

I say again...I could not care less where they rank high school players, only that they have talent and the players coming in do...Yeah, Ronnie Brown was a 3 star out of high school, what a joke...

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

If you go to Hoop Scoop's site, there are a number of problems with this.

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

Well, the first point I have to make is that basketball is not like football...you only get 8 scholarships to give out over any two year period, with no more than five in a single year. So your first point is pretty shaky.

As for the rest, I'd have to say I probably agree, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. :dunno:

If you go to Hoop Scoop's site, there are a number of problems with this.

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

Well, the first point I have to make is that basketball is not like football...you only get 8 scholarships to give out over any two year period, with no more than five in a single year. So your first point is pretty shaky.

As for the rest, I'd have to say I probably agree, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. :dunno:

I believe that rule has been changed. AU signed 5 players last season (Gabriel, Armstrong, Chubb, Malone and Ross) and this class that everyone is talking about has 6 signees. You can sign more than 8 over a 2-year period, but as we will see, it's probably not the best thing for your program.

This probably is Lebo's best class, but it does appear to be on par with most of the other SEC schools. Until we have an ALL-SEC-caliber player or two, we will probably continue to be a middle-of-the-pack team at best.

WDE!

Archived