This Recruiting class ranked5Th nationally by hoop scoops

Droxside

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111809aaa.html

If you go to Hoop Scoop's site, there are a number of problems with this.

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

Well, the first point I have to make is that basketball is not like football...you only get 8 scholarships to give out over any two year period, with no more than five in a single year. So your first point is pretty shaky.

As for the rest, I'd have to say I probably agree, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. :dunno:

The point I am trying to make is this...Yes I brought up the #5 ranking by Hoopscoop, but only to show that someone out there believes the players coming in have talent as I do. I do not have much more faith in "recruiting experts" or services then I do the BCS and it is the worst joke in all of sports.

The above example of two great players from the past not being heavily recruited is important in the fact that is shows just how hard it actually is to say this player or that player will be great or not very good moving from high school to college, just to many variables beyond physical talent come into play. I equate it to the weather man with long range forecast...He takes an educated guess but is wrong a lot of the time. If the very coaches who recruit these players miss some of the time then it only goes to reason that recruiting services designed to sell information to fan bases of big schools will be wrong much of the time and like the weather man they will move on to the next day and everyone will take them at their word...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case some of you missed this back in November, HoopScoop magazine ranked Lebo's class 5TH nationally. Should be some talent on the way...Here is a link..

First, the site ranked teams according to total points, meaning that the more players you signed the better.  For example if one team signs one player that's a 10 point (highest possible) and another team signs five players that are 2 points, then those teams are ranked the same.   For the record, we signed five players in the early signing period and were one of only 2 teams who did that in the top 25.

Second, the site is only ranking the early signing period.  Powerhouses like Kentucky and Duke have not filled out their classes yet so we are sure to drop.  It's doubtful we sign any additional players. 

Finally, other sites do not even have Auburn in the top 30.  Scout has 6 teams(!!!) in the SEC alone ranked ahead of us in recruiting.  In fact, if you look at the players on Scout's site, Auburn's highest rated recruit ranked lower than all but one team's lowest ranked player. 

Sorry guys, this recruiting class is way over-hyped compared to the SEC.  Someone needs to shine a reality flashlight on Auburn's recruiting and quit using this Hoop Scoop as some kind of realistic guide.

Well, the first point I have to make is that basketball is not like football...you only get 8 scholarships to give out over any two year period, with no more than five in a single year. So your first point is pretty shaky.

As for the rest, I'd have to say I probably agree, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. :dunno:

The point I am trying to make is this...Yes I brought up the #5 ranking by Hoopscoop, but only to show that someone out there believes the players coming in have talent as I do. I do not have much more faith in "recruiting experts" or services then I do the BCS and it is the worst joke in all of sports.

The above example of two great players from the past not being heavily recruited is important in the fact that is shows just how hard it actually is to say this player or that player will be great or not very good moving from high school t college, just to many variables beyond physical talent come into play. I equate it to the weather man with long range forecast...He takes an educated guess but is wrong a lot of the time. If the very coaches who recruit these players miss some of the time then it only goes to reason that recruiting services designed to sell information to fan bases of big schools will be wrong much of the time and like the weather man they will move on to the next day and everyone will take them at their word...

Trust me, I do believe that we have some good talent coming in and that it will help this team out. but we will wait and see what happens

The above example of two great players from the past not being heavily recruited is important in the fact that is shows just how hard it actually is to say this player or that player will be great or not very good moving from high school t college, just to many variables beyond physical talent come into play. I equate it to the weather man with long range forecast...He takes an educated guess but is wrong a lot of the time. If the very coaches who recruit these players miss some of the time then it only goes to reason that recruiting services designed to sell information to fan bases of big schools will be wrong much of the time and like the weather man they will move on to the next day and everyone will take them at their word...

Trust me, I do believe that we have some good talent coming in and that it will help this team out. but we will wait and see what happens

I agree, that is my point, no one knows 100% for sure, not even the "recruiting experts"...

I have watched more college bball this year than I have in the past 10 years combined.......Auburn is truly horrible espically in the 2nd half.....

If you go to www.jefflebowantstokeephisjob.com you will see we have a #1 rated class.

Not trying to be smart but he just isnt cutting the mustard and needs to hit the road......These coaches get paid wayyyyyyy too much $$$$$ to be saying give me just 1 more year.....of course they want one more year to draw that big ass pay check.

Money talk and bs walks.......Lebo needs to walk

I'm not in panic mode i'm just sick of all other SEC teams being better than us, our Bball program has always been a joke and i want to change that

ok

ok

I have watched more college bball this year than I have in the past 10 years combined.......Auburn is truly horrible espically in the 2nd half.....

If you go to www.jefflebowantstokeephisjob.com you will see we have a #1 rated class.

Not trying to be smart but he just isnt cutting the mustard and needs to hit the road......These coaches get paid wayyyyyyy too much $$$$$ to be saying give me just 1 more year.....of course they want one more year to draw that big ass pay check.

I don't really know all that much about basketball, not compared to other sports, but we've been building towards this new arena...why wouldn't we give him a chance to make something happen in it? Every game I've been to (not but a couple, but still), when the crowd has been into the game, we've done well enough to win. Maybe the new place will bring enough energy to help get us over the top?

I don't know. Maybe we do need a new coach. I just get tired of hearing everyone call for heads.

I don't really know all that much about basketball, not compared to other sports, but we've been building towards this new arena...why wouldn't we give him a chance to make something happen in it? Every game I've been to (not but a couple, but still), when the crowd has been into the game, we've done well enough to win. Maybe the new place will bring enough energy to help get us over the top?

I don't know. Maybe we do need a new coach. I just get tired of hearing everyone call for heads.

u and me both

I guess having the second worst overall and SEC record in the conference and 0 NCAA tourney appearances the past 6 years had something to do with it. Having a losing record with 4 Senior starters certainly didn't help either. Amazing what UK can do with 3 Freshman starters.

Archived