Steve Alford

I think Alford would be a good coaching hire. He is at New Mexico and has had a great coaching career. They are currently 28-4 and going to get a 3 or 4 seed.

His salary is 975,000. I think we would offer more in terms of facilities, recruiting, fan base, and money.

Here is his bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Alford

I like

1. Steve Alford, New Mexico

2. Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M

3. Dave Rose, BYU

4. Brad Stevens, Butler

5. Chuck Person, LA Lakers assistant

No way. AU can and should do better than Alford.

Huh? He has a team in the WAC ranked #8 in the country with a 29-4 record. I would be ecstatic if we got him. I don't think we would be exactly "settling" if we got him. He's a very good coach, and your comment doesn't make much sense. Who are you wanting us to get? Jim Boehiem? Bill Self?

Huh? He has a team in the WAC ranked #8 in the country with a 29-4 record. I would be ecstatic if we got him. I don't think we would be exactly "settling" if we got him. He's a very good coach, and your comment doesn't make much sense. Who are you wanting us to get? Jim Boehiem? Bill Self?

Jim Boehiem and Bill Self sounds good to me. I read some bad things about Alford or maybe I have him confused with someone else. :dunno:

New Mexico is in the Mountain West, but I'll excuse you =). I can see someone not a big fan of Alford's personality, but to say that Alford is not a good coach is CRAZY. Auburn cant do better than Alford, because Alford is one of the best coaches out there. Alford has put together a great resume at Iowa and New Mexico. Hard to do better than him.

I really dont care as long as he can get Auburn competitive again. When I say competitive i'm not just talking about making it to the NCAA tourney i'm talking about the Sweet 16, elite 8 and a NC. Anything less to me would suck big time with the new arena we have. JJ needs to make another big statement by hiring a top notch coach and everything elas will fall into place.

I really dont care as long as he can get Auburn competitive again. When I say competitive i'm not just talking about making it to the NCAA tourney i'm talking about the Sweet 16, elite 8 and a NC. Anything less to me would suck big time with the new arena we have. JJ needs to make another big statement by hiring a top notch coach and everything elas will fall into place.

I don't know how realistic a national champ. run is considering the big-time basketball schools (UNC, Syracuse Pitt, Villanova, Duke, UConn, etc.) almost always take home the title every year and I don't know if we could ever reach their status, but I like your thinking. Hiring a big-time winner would certainly start us on the right path.

I like

1. Steve Alford, New Mexico

2. Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M

3. Dave Rose, BYU

4. Brad Stevens, Butler

5. Chuck Person, LA Lakers assistant

You should add Bobby Lutz from Charlotte to that list.  My top three are Lutz, Barbee and Alford.  

I'm not sure about Lutz! Are we sure we want another teams scraps.

He's done a very good job in 12 years at Charlotte.  He was even 19-12 this season.  Believe me, he's nobody's "scrap."

I thought he was fired. I just feel like if we are going to do that why not just keep Lebo? I'm not being funny, I'm just asking. I don't know the guy very well, so I can't pass too much judgement. If he was canned though that would be an odd hire to me.

I don't know how realistic a national champ. run is considering the big-time basketball schools (UNC, Syracuse Pitt, Villanova, Duke, UConn, etc.) almost always take home the title every year and I don't know if we could ever reach their status, but I like your thinking. Hiring a big-time winner would certainly start us on the right path.

I think people at UF may have felt that way at one time as well.  Don't they have 2 trophys in their case now?

:dunno:

I thought he was fired. I just feel like if we are going to do that why not just keep Lebo? I'm not being funny, I'm just asking. I don't know the guy very well, so I can't pass too much judgement. If he was canned though that would be an odd hire to me.

He was fired but I still think he's a heck of a coach.  In 12 years, he's been to the NCAA tournament 5 times and the NIT 3 times and only had 2 or 3 losing seasons.  He did very well at a  mid level team and I think he would be very successful at AU.  I still think Barbee is my top choice but Lutz is definitely in my top 3.

I am originally from Iowa and trust me.....WE DO NOT WANT STEVE ALFORD as our next head coach!  12 years ago, Iowa was tired of the boring Dr. Tom Davis and let him go with about 2 weeks to go in the season.  The team fought for him and made it to the elite 8 with nothing.  Iowa got rid of Dr. Tom because there was this hot young coach who they HAD to get before someone else did....that coach was Steve Alford. 

He came in, energized the fan base because everyone remembered him from his days at Indiana....He got the kids going and won a bunch of games that first year, including an upset of UConn.  Then he started to recruit...and the program when down hill FAST!  He brought in thugs and academic problems...there were rapes, sexual assaults, lots of DWI and public intoxication tickets and a lot of ineligible players.  Most year, Alford didn't have a full roster of scholarship players because they were either suspended, in jail or ineligible! 

He is NOT what we want at Auburn.  When he was at Iowa, I was teaching and coaching in a high school around Iowa City.  All of the Iowa high school basketball coaches knew Alford couldn't coach.  He didn't know the X's and O'x....his DAD did!  Alford does not represent what we hold dear here at Auburn....he was disrespectful to his players and did not represent the Iowa program with class.  His wife was also a very public figure on the sidelines and drew much criticism for her behavior during games....and this was in Iowa where they don't have nearly the same code of decorum for its fans and coaches that we do. 

Alford is a big splashy name...but he is not what Auburn needs.  We CAN do better than Steve Alford!

I am originally from Iowa and trust me.....WE DO NOT WANT STEVE ALFORD as our next head coach!  12 years ago, Iowa was tired of the boring Dr. Tom Davis and let him go with about 2 weeks to go in the season.  The team fought for him and made it to the elite 8 with nothing.  Iowa got rid of Dr. Tom because there was this hot young coach who they HAD to get before someone else did....that coach was Steve Alford. 

He came in, energized the fan base because everyone remembered him from his days at Indiana....He got the kids going and won a bunch of games that first year, including an upset of UConn.  Then he started to recruit...and the program when down hill FAST!  He brought in thugs and academic problems...there were rapes, sexual assaults, lots of DWI and public intoxication tickets and a lot of ineligible players.  Most year, Alford didn't have a full roster of scholarship players because they were either suspended, in jail or ineligible! 

He is NOT what we want at Auburn.  When he was at Iowa, I was teaching and coaching in a high school around Iowa City.  All of the Iowa high school basketball coaches knew Alford couldn't coach.  He didn't know the X's and O'x....his DAD did!  Alford does not represent what we hold dear here at Auburn....he was disrespectful to his players and did not represent the Iowa program with class.  His wife was also a very public figure on the sidelines and drew much criticism for her behavior during games....and this was in Iowa where they don't have nearly the same code of decorum for its fans and coaches that we do. 

Alford is a big splashy name...but he is not what Auburn needs.  We CAN do better than Steve Alford!

egl87 this is why I didn't want to see Alford get the job^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Archived