Listen live to Sir Charles' thoughts on our coaching search...

We met him last night at a bar in Birmingham.  Very nice guy.  He said he liked Mike Anderson.  Said Person wanted the job.  Brought up Barbee too, but kept talking about Anderson.

We met him last night at a bar in Birmingham.  Very nice guy.  He said he liked Mike Anderson.  Said Person wanted the job.  Brought up Barbee too, but kept talking about Anderson.

That's actually good to hear.  I figured all he would do is plug Mike Davis' name.  He really likes Davis.

That's actually good to hear.  I figured all he would do is plug Mike Davis' name.  He really likes Davis.

I agree about not wanting Mike Davis.  Barkley never said a word about him.  Might change on the radio.  Who knows?

He just said that every coach gets fired at some point in response to Lebo leaving....basically just saying everyone gets fired at some point... this is insane

How is his opinion so valued... or is it?

He just said he will do background checks if JJ needs him to... ?!?!!? he has said a couple of times about making phone calls to do background checks...  :dunno:

He just said that every coach gets fired at some point in response to Lebo leaving....basically just saying everyone gets fired at some point... this is insane

He just said he will do background checks if JJ needs him to... ?!?!!? he has said a couple of times about making phone calls to do background checks...  :dunno:

hes talking out of that big ass of his

Well, I"m sure as heck not going to listen because I don't give a rat's hind end what he has to say about anything. He needs to go back to spending time with Hank Haney and let Auburn sports the heck alone.

King he was actually positive in everything he had to say about Auburn. He said he believed the program can be a very good one. He also said he has talked with JJ and told him he would help him in any way needed. He offered to call up any coach or someone close to any coach that pops up on his list and do background checks to find the truth in the candidate. He said he is behind Chizik and likes what he is doing. He's not demanding that a minority coach be hired. He only wants whomever the new hire is to turn things around. Although he didn't throw out any names, he was positive in his comments.

Courtsey of Jay G. Tate @ www.habotn.com

Barkley speaks out

Hey everyone. Your favorite former Auburn player who was an NBA All-Star with the Philadelphia 76ers during the late 1980s and 90s has spoken out about Auburn's coaching search.

Charles Barkley was a guest on WJOX's "The Roundtable" show this afternoon.

Here is what he had to say:

On Jeff Lebo: ``Jeff is a nice guy, but he didn't win. It's not personal. Every coach is going to get fired at some point. He was there for six years and he didn't win."

On his recent talk with Jay Jacobs: ``I told him anything he needs me to do, I'll do. There's not a person is basketball I don't know or can't find out about. If he wants me to do a background check on any coach in the country, I can get it done. I can find out the truth. I'm there for him."

On what Auburn needs: ``We need to bring some excitement into the new building. We can't hide behind the crutch that we don't have a good building anymore … or good practice facilities. You can win at Auburn. Auburn is a good program. We're never going to be North Carolina or Duke, but we've had success and if you put the right coach in there, we can be successful again."

On if Auburn needs to hire a black coach: ``I've never demanded that they hire a black coach. I said I thought Turner Gill's resume was better than Gene Chizik's. And it was. Gene did a great job. I wish him success. Most people always think the white guy is the best guy for the job. That's why we have no minority coaches in football -- because a majority of the people who run these schools are white. They're always going to hire a while guy. The best candidate? That's b.s. I don't care who Auburn hires. I just want them to hire a good coach.

``Everybody went crazy. I said the exact same thing about Alabama when they hired Mike Shula over Sylvester Croom. Clearly race had a lot to do with that. Mike Shula -- that was the saddest day of my life when he got fired."

More on the Shula/Croom controversy: ``That was a travesty. I know how the South works down here. We've got a bunch of rednecks down here. It is what it is."

On his role in the search: ``I don't try to run the Auburn program. If I ran the program, Mike Anderson would have been the coach last time. We need some excitement."

On his relationship with Jay Jacobs: ``Me and Jay have always been cool. Jay knows -- I'm always going to be myself. I ain't never gonna be no kiss-ass brother. I'm my own man. I'm not one of these Alabama guys who listens to Finebaum and Scarbinsky. I know how this thing works."

On if candidates have called him: ``I've had 10 guys call. I told them -- I don't pull any strings down at Auburn. I'm not running the program. For some reason, they think I'm going to hire the next coach, which is not true."

I love what Charles said here. On his relationship with Jay Jacobs: ``Me and Jay have always been cool. Jay knows -- I'm always going to be myself. I ain't never gonna be no kiss-ass brother. I'm my own man. I'm not one of these Alabama guys who listens to Finebaum and Scarbinsky. I know how this thing works."

I think that Charles probably has a "darker and more complex background" than ANY candidate that we

now or will potentially have! What a ridiculous statement for Sir Charles to make!

Archived