AU Basketball Revenue

Tiger Growlin

It's not as bad as you think. Men's Basketball actually turned a profit in the '08-'09 season even with the low attendance numbers.

Auburn reported $4.52 million in expenses and  $7.19 million in revenue. More than Villanova, Oklahoma, Miss St, and Kansas State.

SEC Numbers

Nice find, and very informative. Thanks for posting that.

No problem man. I ran across it this morning and thought everyone would like to see it. There have been a lot of questions about money here lately. WDE!

Football and Men's Basketball are the only two revenue producing sports at any college.  I thought Tennessee and UConn's Women's Basketball programs produced revenue but according to this site they do not.  Good info growlin!!

That profit would indicate that we can afford an outstanding coach. Now the trick is getting one to come to Auburn. Hopefully a new arena will help with that.

Guest simonsez

Those revenues are gonna have to skyrocket for the next 10 years to pay off the new arena.  A new coach will help that happen.  Theres always tons of hype for the first 2 years.

I was told by someone in construction, with contacts in the Athletic Dept., that the arena came in about 20% under budget.  The General Contractor was bidding out the cost of materials and Sub-Contract Labor to lowest bidders without comprimising quality.  Evidently, with construction down like it is, there were some hungry suppliers and Sub-Contractors.  Has anyone else heard anything bout this?   

Man, that is a surprise. The revenue sure isn't due to attendance, must be tied in to endorsement deals and other income sources.

I was told by someone in construction, with contacts in the Athletic Dept., that the arena came in about 20% under budget.  The General Contractor was bidding out the cost of materials and Sub-Contract Labor to lowest bidders without comprimising quality.  Evidently, with construction down like it is, there were some hungry suppliers and Sub-Contractors.   Has anyone else heard anything bout this?   

I had heard that too.  I believe Sportscall (local radio program) said or a caller said that the arena project was estimated at $92 million and it would come in under budget at $84 million.  So, IMHO if we have been turning a profit, plus got $8 million to play with from the loan, then may be we could work some magic for a our b-ball program.  After that, if we had anymore left over you could go ahead and build the indoor practice facility for football.

We'll see what happens.

Man, that is a surprise. The revenue sure isn't due to attendance, must be tied in to endorsement deals and other income sources.

That is true the BBall team also falls under the Under Armour contract deal and receive revenue from that.

I seem to remember reading (no link) that when the SEC negotiated the new TV contracts for football they got some more television for basketball as part of a package deal.  This could explain some of the revenue.   

The NCAA tournament provides mega bucks to conferences like the SEC. Auburn gets their share of that. In addition, you know that someone is doing some fund raising in behalf of the new arena.

Archived