Sign of things to come?

It didn't take long Barbee long to get the attention of at least 1 big time prospect. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceburg. I've been following Auburn basketball closely since the Sonny Smith era and this is the most excited I've ever been with a new basketball coach.

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=3725630

It didn't take long Barbee long to get the attention of at least 1 big time prospect. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceburg. I've been following Auburn basketball closely since the Sonny Smith era and this is the most excited I've ever been with a new basketball coach.

I agree 100%. I don't know if I've ever been this excited about AU basketball. Of course, the year we had Porter, Doc, Mamadou, Bryant Smith and Fishback and we got to #1 at one point was unbelievable...But as far as being excited about the coach and the state of the program etc., this is pretty hard to beat right now.

I agree 100%. I don't know if I've ever been this excited about AU basketball. Of course, the year we had Porter, Doc, Mamadou, Bryant Smith and Fishback and we got to #1 at one point was unbelievable...But as far as being excited about the coach and the state of the program etc., this is pretty hard to beat right now.

I loved that year mayor. Everything with that team started with defense too. Bryant Smith possibly the most underrated player we have ever had. Only person missing from that starting 5 the next year was Smith, and they were a completely different team without him.  That guy was a shut-down defender. Put him on the opposing team's leading scorer and forget about it.  Never forget beating Bama by like 50 that year. Those were some good times.

I'm not aware of any quotes from O'Bryant. It's just a link to his profile. He has Auburn, OM and Memphis all ranked as high interest after Barbee only being here for a day.

Can anyone post what Johnny O' Bryant said? I do not have a scout account. Thanks!

Like you, I have been following AU Basketball since the Sonny Smith era.  I think this is the most excited I have been with a new coach in a long time.  I thought TJ Eagles brought a lot of enthusiasm when he arrived, but Barbee seems to be right up there with selling the program.  I can not wait for the new season with the new beginning!

I love to hear us mentioned high on any 5 star recruits list.

:wedance:

I think the attitude is changing across our entire athletic program. Jay Jacobs has been talking about Auburn winning championships since he took the AD job. We haven't had that mentality since I have been alive. We finally have an AD that believes in winning championships not just getting by and having winning seasons. Say what you want about JJ, but he has a winning attitude that is going to change the course of Auburn athletics.

"We are not going to be afraid of going after the best players in the state of Alabama. We are not going to be afraid of going after the best players in the Southeast region. We are not going to be afraid to go after the best players anywhere in the country. I promise you that. Not only will we be recruiting student-athletes who I think can succeed here, academically and athletically, we will be recruiting the media, for exposure, we are going to be recruiting the community, for support, and we are going to be recruiting the students, because my responsibility is to rekindle that love affair between the Auburn community, the Auburn Family and this storied program. That is my challenge and I accept it whole-heartedly."

This is a quote from Tony Barbee, this guy is the real deal boys!!

Wow a 5 star prospect? has AU ever had one in b-ball? lol

They didn't have a star system in those days, but back in the early '70's Auburn coach Bob Davis brought in a remarkable class that included Mike Mitchell,(Atlanta) Myles Patrick (Macon, Ga.)and Stan Petkewitch.(sp?) (Central Florida)

Guessing from what I know now, Mitchell would have been a 5*, the other two 4*. Davis won big, by Auburn standards, with those players and Eddie Johnson, who he had recruited a year earlier.

Davis eventually crashed and burned with the administration and I'm not sure just what happened there.

I'm not aware of any quotes from O'Bryant. It's just a link to his profile. He has Auburn, OM and Memphis all ranked as high interest after Barbee only being here for a day.

Can anyone post what Johnny O' Bryant said? I do not have a scout account. Thanks!

O'Bryant had AU in his top three prior to Barbee being hired.......but I think the hire may put us at the next level with him now.

Wow a 5 star prospect? has AU ever had one in b-ball? lol

They didn't have a star system in those days, but back in the early '70's Auburn coach Bob Davis brought in a remarkable class that included Mike Mitchell,(Atlanta) Myles Patrick (Macon, Ga.)and Stan Petkewitch.(sp?) (Central Florida)

Guessing from what I know now, Mitchell would have been a 5*, the other two 4*. Davis won big, by Auburn standards, with those players and Eddie Johnson, who he had recruited a year earlier.

Davis eventually crashed and burned with the administration and I'm not sure just what happened there.

Oh yell Fast Eddie Johnson was a heck of a player. Had a decent pro career until he got skrew up with the white powder. Mike mitchell had a good pro career with the Spurs if I recall correctly.

Oh yell Fast Eddie Johnson was a heck of a player. Had a decent pro career until he got skrew up with the white powder. Mike mitchell had a good pro career with the Spurs if I recall correctly.

Quite correct. Mitchell and Eddie Johnson both stuck in the NBA for a number of years. Patrick and Stan P. both went overseas after college and played in the European leagues.

I still think the Auburn player that stuck longest in the NBA was John Mengelt, who lasted nine seasons. He was also the best I've seen at Auburn, Person, Barkley, Eddie Johnson and so forth notwithstanding. Person and Barkley obviously were bigger NBA stars but in their respective times at Auburn, Mengelt was better.

Quite correct. Mitchell and Eddie Johnson both stuck in the NBA for a number of years. Patrick and Stan P. both went overseas after college and played in the European leagues.

I still think the Auburn player that stuck longest in the NBA was John Mengelt, who lasted nine seasons. He was also the best I've seen at Auburn, Person, Barkley, Eddie Johnson and so forth notwithstanding. Person and Barkley obviously were bigger NBA stars but in their respective times at Auburn, Mengelt was better.

Were you at the game were Mengelt scored 60 points??

I think the attitude is changing across our entire athletic program. Jay Jacobs has been talking about Auburn winning championships since he took the AD job. We haven't had that mentality since I have been alive. We finally have an AD that believes in winning championships not just getting by and having winning seasons. Say what you want about JJ, but he has a winning attitude that is going to change the course of Auburn athletics.

Great post. Jay Jacobs has taken more undeserved heat from people than anybody I've ever seen. In my opinion he's doing a fantastic job.

Jacobs is doing an excellent job, in my opinion. He may be the first AD in Auburn history who has the authority and ability to run the athletic department without outside interference. This is probably due to President Gogue. Jay is also very respected all over the country because he operates in a straight forward and completely ethical manner, in my opinion.

Were you at the game were Mengelt scored 60 points??

Absolutely there! It wasn't just the Mengelt show either. Al Leaphart scored 19 points and grabbed 22 rebounds. 121-78 over UAT made for a great evening.

I had more hair on my head then, but that's another story... :)

I had debated with Tubby Smith that summer about the importance of B. Smith to AU. I told him my Tigers wouldn't be as good without him; he disagreed. -I believe I was right.

Archived