From Barbee to the Auburn student body...

A Letter from Men's Basketball Coach Tony Barbee

Dear Auburn Students,

As your new head basketball coach, I am thrilled about the opportunity to represent you and this great university at such an exciting time for Auburn basketball. When I accepted this job, I knew there would be challenges, but what struck me the most was the tremendous potential of this program with everything Auburn has to offer. The university, the community and the fan base are all top notch, and the new state-of-the-art Auburn Arena demonstrates a commitment to this program that will help us take Auburn basketball to new heights.

As your head coach, I promise to stay true to the Auburn Creed as I believe in work, hard work. With that said, my staff and I will not be outworked as we bring the Auburn Family what they deserve. I will give my all in every aspect of the job, from recruiting and coaching to promoting the program. I will do everything in my power to produce a winning program and change the culture of Auburn basketball.

I challenge you, the Auburn students, to create a real excitement around Auburn basketball. You are a part of the team, and I need you there at every game to make Auburn Arena the best home court advantage in the SEC.

You are critical to our success, and there has not been a more significant period to turn this program around than now. The administration shares my feelings, as the design of Auburn Arena prioritizes the experience of the students.

The Auburn Arena caters to students in every way and is designed to create an intimidating home court advantage. Very few students throughout the entire nation will enjoy the same amenities that this new arena will present to you. You will have your own private entrance to the arena, concourse area, restrooms and concession stand. As students, you will have the best seats in the building. The student section will surround three sides of the court on the floor level. You will have an effect on the game like never before, and our atmosphere will be contingent on you. With your help, I truly believe we can have a great basketball atmosphere.

I know we can accomplish all of our goals together. I cannot express how excited I am to be your new coach. I look forward to the next few months as we build enthusiasm for next season and beyond.

War Eagle!

Tony Barbee

Head Men's Basketball Coach

I'm really pumped also.  I'm ready for AU basketball to start backup.  I wish football season would hurry up so we can get to basketball........well not quite that pumped.  Football is still my first love.....but I'm really looking forward to the next basketball season.  That's something I never said before.

This is amazing and sounds like another great Coach that we just hired. He is reaching out to the students and believe, they need it. They never liked Lebo and he did absolutely nothing to endear himself to the students here at Auburn. I think that we are going to see a major turnaround in our fan base! Coach Chizik did exactly the same thing as soon as it was time for the season to start-he reached out to the students and look how well that worked for us. Can you say WVU game!!!!

I am excited also. I sat through all of those dreary dreadful games all year! I will be happy to see some players play with excitement and coaches who look like they love Auburn. Just wait until Coach Barbee and his family spend some time here at Auburn, he will be blown away!!!

WAR EAGLE

Sounds very promising!  I love the enthusiasm he brings to the position!  I can't wait for the season to start!

Just listening to talk radio in Music City, talking Tennessee basketball, Kentucky basketball, and the talk went to Tubby Smith going to Oregon.  Said that was a "slam dunk" move, whereas he would never consider Auburn because we are a "second rate" program, averaging 4,000 in attendance, and we just don't care about basketball.  After I threw the radio out the window,  I realized there is too much truth in what they were saying.  We've got a lot to prove, but I believe the elements are now in place to do it.  I have written March 30 down, and can't wait to call them out on this at a later date.  By the way, UT has the third rated class this year.

This is a good move by Barbee. If they want to get people excited about basketball they need to start with the students. With all the housing right next to the arena, that gives them a lot of people that don't have to go very far to see games. I thought it was a really smart move to surrond the court with student seating as this will be more inviting to students then what the old place had. Throw in a few promos like free t-shirts or one dollar hot-dogs and there shouldn't be a problem getting people to show up. And once it gets started it will only grow to more and more people around the community

Just listening to talk radio in Music City, talking Tennessee basketball, Kentucky basketball, and the talk went to Tubby Smith going to Oregon.  Said that was a "slam dunk" move, whereas he would never consider Auburn because we are a "second rate" program, averaging 4,000 in attendance, and we just don't care about basketball.  After I threw the radio out the window,  I realized there is too much truth in what they were saying.  We've got a lot to prove, but I believe the elements are now in place to do it.  I have written March 30 down, and can't wait to call them out on this at a later date.  By the way, UT has the third rated class this year.

And Barbee is doing it the right way. Just like a struggling restaurant, you have to get out and talk to the people. You can't just count on hard-to-find promise and wins to bring people out every Wednesday night. I imagine if the transfer rumors are true that will really send some shock waves through Lee County and he'll be able to use that to his advantage.

With that said, my staff and I will not be outworked as we bring the Auburn Family what they deserve.

^^^ this sounds darn good to me guys.

Speaking of staff, do we know who the staff is at this point? Just curious.

Barbee is very smart. Very smart.

His honeymoon will be very short no matter the prior condition of the program. He knows this is a football school and most have a short attention span. Getting 'fans' excited now and through the year will carry momentum well into the BB season. Next season will be okay, but not good with the current line-up. It'll take one more good recrutiing year to be competitive for something out of the West.

Recruiting is a big factor. What makes a winner is what the coach can mold with the talent he brings to the game. Barbee has the touch to make champions.

Goals: (1) Vie for the West - year one, (2) Vie for the SEC year two and Round 1, (3) NCAA's sweet sixteen or better. (4) Final 4.

These are achievable with the energy this man brings to Auburn. He may blow these goals away with ease, but as we get better, so does the competition 

I'll have tickets. Will you?

I live in the Birmingham area so it's not feasible for me to make it to every AU basketball game, but ever since Barbee was hired, I've been telling my family we need to make it down there as often as possible. I'm going to do my best to be there for opening night. I can't wait -- I think this guy brings it all to the table. Recruiting savvy, marketing experience ... he's young, he's hungry and he's gonna be a big part of the Auburn scene from now on.

That letter really got me more pumped about next season and the whole hiring of Barbee.  It really seems like he has all the rights ideas and it's good to know that he cares about the students.  He really wants us to play a part in his attempt at turning the program around.

The student section will surround three sides of the court on the floor level.

Wow...that's gonna be cool! Maybe the other athletics will especially make an effort to support the program...how cool would it be to see football players regularly attending basketball games and screaming their support? Heck, there are a few guys CTB might want to have a spare jersey ready for, just in case...:laugh:

The student section will surround three sides of the court on the floor level.

Wow...that's gonna be cool! Maybe the other athletics will especially make an effort to support the program...how cool would it be to see football players regularly attending basketball games and screaming their support? Heck, there are a few guys CTB might want to have a spare jersey ready for, just in case...:laugh:

exactly!!!

I think CGC will have his players support the program. I have a feeling CGC and CTB will benefit from each other being on campus. CTB will use our football program to get the good players in. The letter to the students has me pumped as well for basketball season. I just got my Auburn Under Armour basketball jersey in the mail yesterday from the bookstore, and can't wait to wear it proudly. Since the hiring of CTB I've been checking for Auburn basketball recruiting everyday. Great hire JJ!

Archived