ATLANTA BRAVES THREAD!

Ronald McDonald

Didn't get to watch the game tonight or last night but from the highlights and the box scores it looks like we took care of business fairly easily. Marlins shut down their season already? Haha but the closer we're coming to the deadline it doesn't look like we're gonna make a move.

I read Jayson Stark's article on the Braves need for an outfield bat but he's convinced me that a deal won't be done. There's not a single outfield bat on the market that really fits what we're looking for and Wren realizes that. (CF righty bat with moderate power). Upton is an option but he's too inconsistent.

I could see a deal being made in August with waivers when some teams drop out of their races but right now there's nothing out there for the Braves.

Michael Bourn!!!!! That's a great fit for the Braves. Bourn can leadoff and play cf. He can steal bases. Something we haven't had since Otis Nixon. That would so wonders for our lineup. I think we could make a run if we could stay healthy. Not making a move would probably get us a 1st round exit from the playoffs.

Of course right when I say that they won't sign anything they grab Bourn. Exactly what the Braves weren't looking for, a left handed hitter that doesn't have any pop. :laugh: He'll fit in somewhere though. Hopefully it'll be a good change because we haven't had an above average CF since Jones was in his prime.

I think Bourn is a great addition to the Braves.

Good Side:

- His batting avg is over 300.

- True leadoff hitter.

- stolen bases

- great fielder. He has won a few golden gloves.

- The Braves did not give up the farm to get him

Down sides:

- I think the Braves were trying for a right hand hitter.

- not much power.(but i think the Braves were looking more for avg, speed and fielding.

I am not sure when his contract is up, because I think the Braves would like to keep him for several years. Overall, considering all the alternatives, I think the Braves did very well here. Go Braves!

You guys may want to look at how he is hitting against left handed pitching. I'll take .295 all day. With Uggla finally hitting the way he is why did it have to be a rh bat?

13 hits and score 1 run. Good lord double plays and untimely strikeouts all over the place. Phils win for sure just playing for wildcard now at 6 behind.

Well, the NL East race is officially over. Now, even the WC race looks doubtful. I have just hit the panic button.  :(

Why so negative????? 

Have a little more faith in them.  They lost two in a row....big freaking deal. 

I'll hit the panic button when they're 7 games out with 6 to play....

The Braves will be fine. They just have to tread water until McCann and Chipper come back. Hard to win consistently with your best hitter (McCann) out of the lineup. You can't expect them to overtake the the Phillies with the kind on injuries they have sustained this season. The Phils arent going to have any losing streaks with the kind of pitching they have. Its a minor miracle we are leading the WC with all the key players that have been DL'd this year. With Uggs hitting now, they will be a solid lineup when healthy. Getting in the playoffs is all that matters.

This team needs to hit a little better in the clutch. I wish we'd dump Gonzo and bring up Pastornicky. I love Gonzo's D, but his O is atrocious.

at this point, who would you rather play to open the postseason? Dbacks or Giants?  We would be the away team of course.  I would rather play DBacks.

I'd rather the dbacks too. They will cool off soon I think and once we get our injuries fixed, and a pitcher to replace D-Lowe, then we will be solid

I'd rather the dbacks too. They will cool off soon I think and once we get our injuries fixed, and a pitcher to replace D-Lowe, then we will be solid

D Lowe has another year left on his $16 milliion/year contract so he's not going anywhere.  Maybe the Braves will bring Kawakami back...  :dunno: .... He's being paid around $7 million/year to pitch in AA.

I wish we could bring up Teheran to pitch instead of Lowe. He has been awful

Not just yet on T leave at Gwinnett. I've seen him pitch at Gwinnett what a joy to watch but he is not ready for the show just yet.