Basketball Recruiting Update

AUSportTalk

Everyone knows SG Jalen Steele was released from his LOI this morning but there will be several others that will be released as well. I will release those names when it is official. Coach Barbee has been on the recruiting trail since he was hired. He has met with all the recruits and knows which ones will be here and which ones won't. He is out trying to find replacements for the voids that he needs to fill. The spring signing period starts April 14th so I'm sure there will be several other signees released between now and then.

I think Barbee will more than make up for these losses (if that's what you want to call them). I gotta feeling he's gonna bring in some good players pretty soon. No inside info, just a hunch.

I think Barbee will more than make up for these losses (if that's what you want to call them). I gotta feeling he's gonna bring in some good players pretty soon. No inside info, just a hunch.

He's the new boss, not like the old boss . . . 

We wont be fooled again!

So is this release just to look around at other schools and he might still go to Auburn or is he just flat gone?

I think if Barbee wanted Steele he'd have spent more time talking to him before giving a release. Sounds like a mutual desire to go in different directions.

In my opinion, this is nothing but good news.  I was hoping that several of Lebo's recruits would ask out/get the boot so that Barbee can fill his roster with his players.  The faster that happens, the faster that AU basketball makes it's recovery.  Do not give me that crap about what a top class it was according to hoopscoop or whoever.  That place ranks according to quantity, not quality.  Barbee will get us quality in.  I would be willing to bet that for every player we lose that was Lebo's, Barbee replaces them with someone who is 2 stars higher in quality.

I welcome this news.

:wedance:

War Eagle Barbee!!! 

In my opinion, this is nothing but good news.  I was hoping that several of Lebo's recruits would ask out/get the boot so that Barbee can fill his roster with his players.  The faster that happens, the faster that AU basketball makes it's recovery.  Do not give me that crap about what a top class it was according to hoopscoop or whoever.  That place ranks according to quantity, not quality.   Barbee will get us quality in.  I would be willing to bet that for every player we lose that was Lebo's, Barbee replaces them with someone who is 2 stars higher in quality.

I welcome this news.

War Eagle Barbee!!! 

That would all be well and good if the early signing period weren't over and most good prospects already signed. There is a very limited talent pool available to Barbee.

Also, Steele was Mr. Basketball in Tennessee so he pretty much has quality. I don't see losing him as a good thing.

In my opinion, this is nothing but good news.  I was hoping that several of Lebo's recruits would ask out/get the boot so that Barbee can fill his roster with his players.  The faster that happens, the faster that AU basketball makes it's recovery.  Do not give me that crap about what a top class it was according to hoopscoop or whoever.  That place ranks according to quantity, not quality.   Barbee will get us quality in.  I would be willing to bet that for every player we lose that was Lebo's, Barbee replaces them with someone who is 2 stars higher in quality.

I welcome this news.

War Eagle Barbee!!! 

That would all be well and good if the early signing period weren't over and most good prospects already signed. There is a very limited talent pool available to Barbee.

Also, Steele was Mr. Basketball in Tennessee so he pretty much has quality. I don't see losing him as a good thing.

I don't see it that way, either, because we are apparently going to lose more signees, so we'd have room for Ward from Texas (if he decides to come here), but it could end up that way. We just need to wait and see what Barbee has up his sleeves.

I welcome this news.

War Eagle Barbee!!! 

Steele was Mr Basketball 2A...Don't kid yourself that he was as good as the 6A guys that Barbee will be getting in here.  Yes the early signing period is over, but the better players sign later knowing that they have more opportunities.  Rock on Barbee!

but the better players sign later knowing that they have more opportunities.

Are you sure about that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't know much about basketball recruiting. The only reason I was aware of there being an early and late signing period for such before a couple of years ago was one of my high school classmates signing with UGA to play baseball in the early period...

Steele was Mr Basketball 2A...Don't kid yourself that he was as good as the 6A guys that Barbee will be getting in here.  Yes the early signing period is over, but the better players sign later knowing that they have more opportunities.  Rock on Barbee!

I don`t know about the better players signing early or late. No way to prove either way. I agree that there may be more opps. but also a players stock can drop with a poor season or injuries. I personally thought Steele was and is an excellent prospect for someone. But I`m also glad that if he doesn`t think he would be happy here that he was given his release.

Steele is a good enough prospect that Florida, Miami, Alabama, Cincinnati, UCLA, Ole Miss and MSU are all after him.  His loss is not a good thing, though if he and Barbee don't match it's unavoidable that he should go.

As much as I like Lebo as a person, He didn't leave Barbee a whole lot to work with in regards to recruiting.  If Coach Barbee left things the way they were and allowed the 6 current signees to enroll, he would have no open scholly's for next year due to the fact we have no seniors on the team.  He would have to rely on attrition because I believe they are at the max of the 13 scholly's available if everyone stayed.

As much as I like Lebo as a person, He didn't leave Barbee a whole lot to work with in regards to recruiting.  If Coach Barbee left things the way they were and allowed the 6 current signees to enroll, he would have no open scholly's for next year due to the fact we have no seniors on the team.  He would have to rely on attrition because I believe they are at the max of the 13 scholly's available if everyone stayed.

That is true, but I have heard we are going to lose at least those two signees, possibly more, and that Barbee may be cutting the fat a bit from the current roster as well.

I think it's critical for Barbee to get the players he feels most comfortable with right now. Regardless of who we lose from the current roster or signee list, we will still be in the same situation come next recruiting cycle because we still won't have any seniors on the squad unless one of the replacement signees is a senior next year. He has to get what he feels right about because that's what we're gonna be stuck with for the near future. It's gonna probably be two years before he gets his own full deck of card to play with. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm ready to see what happens. I got fait in Barbee, but would like to see some names soon as far as who's getting released and who we migh sign. I'm hoping we get Cothron from Huntsville though.

Hey guys and gals; this is going to  be a transition year for AU, unless Barbee pulls off some miracles...

We need to give him a break this year and focus on getting a strong class in here next year...

Barbee is trying to achieve that goal as we speak... He is the right man for this job.. Let him do his thing

:beatmullet::pcprobs::banghead:

Archived