NEW YORK YANKEE THREAD

AUAeroEngineer

USA TODAY @USATODAY

MLB is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on Alex Rodriguez for his role in the Biogenesis doping scandal: usat.ly/18SG9dh

Good. He is a scumbag. He has cheated the game for years and years. I hope they hit him with a lifetime band. I am not a Yankee fan, at all, and they gave him the contract, but I feel for the Yankee fans because they seem to want him to go away also.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Ichiro Suzuki for reaching 4,000 hits. Amazing.......and the Yanks are still hanging around the race..................

Ichiro Suzuki said he was not comfortable with all of the attention he received for the 4,000th hit of his career between Japan and Major League Baseball that when his New York Yankees teammates poured out of the dugout to congratulate him in the first inning, he wanted to wave them back. But that's not how it works in the Bronx, the place where history is always front and center.

"What I realized today is that the Yankees are so used to things like this happening, they're so good at ceremonies like this," Ichiro said through an interpreter after New York's 4-2 win over the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday night. "The way it happened with the players coming out, they're very good about how to display it."

MORE: Ichiro gets 4,000 hits | Astros' rookie hit in face | Heyward hit in face

After his teammates went back to the dugout, Ichiro took off his helmet and bowed to the fans to show his appreciation for the ovation from the crowd of 36,140 that got to witness the milestone they came to Yankee Stadium hoping to see. Then, they saw Alfonso Soriano hit his 398th career home run, which set up Mariano Rivera's 645th career save.

Soon enough, Soriano will reach 400, Rivera will get to 650, and Alex Rodriguez will hit his 650th home run. Round numbers abound. And when Derek Jeter comes off the disabled list, he will resume his climb up the majors' all-time hit list, as the Yankees' captain is seven hits behind 10th-place Eddie Collins. After that, it's another four hits to catch up to Paul Molitor.

Then there is the number that the Yankees are always chasing: World Series title No. 28.

Four games back in the wild card race with 36 games to play and needing to catch the Orioles, then the Indians, then the A's to just to make it to a one-game wild-card playoff might seem like a daunting task, but here come the Yankees, undaunted. There is not a daunt to be found in pinstripes; not with history being made and more history to come.

"I think (the team) believes a lot," said Joe Girardi, the manager who wears No. 28 on his jersey as a reminder of that ultimate goal. "I think you can tell by the way they're playing and the way you've got guys playing. The schedule hasn't been easy, and we're playing hard, and everybody's contributing.

PHOTOS: Ichiro through the years

"You think about the players we have in that clubhouse now. We've got players that have hit 40 home runs that sit down sometimes. We've got guys that have 4,000 hits that sit down sometimes. We've got All-Stars, Silver Sluggers that have to sit down. They're all contributing, and it's all about the team. Nobody's complaining about playing time, and I applaud them all for that."

On Wednesday, it was A-Rod, the former 40-home run man, sitting down. Before the game, the three-time MVP, who is in the process of appealing a 211-game drug suspension, said that he would only talk about baseball from here on out. And it was A-Rod who took part in the baseball moment that will be Big Narrative's calling card as a turning point in the Yankees' season if indeed they do pull off a comeback that Baseball Prospectus pinned the chances of Wednesday morning at 7.2 percent.

Rodriguez getting hit by a pitch from Ryan Dempster, Girardi getting ejected, A-Rod hitting a two-run homer and the Yankees winning in Boston on Sunday night started this four-game winning streak. On Thursday morning, the Yankees' playoff chances might be 8 percent, or even 9 percent.

Bad news, though, for the chroniclers of well-scripted history that hasn't happened yet and which has a greater than 90 percent chance of not happening: Sunday night is not a universally agreed-upon turning point.

"I can't really pinpoint when it started to turn," Yankees catcher Austin Romine told Sporting News. "Getting Soriano was huge for us. He's been real big for us lately. Ever since we got him, he's been a guy we can get behind, and he's been getting big hits when it matters."

Soriano's tiebreaking home run in the eighth inning Wednesday was his ninth in 24 games since rejoining the Yankees in a trade late last month with the Chicago Cubs.

The Yankees also got Curtis Granderson back in the lineup this month after the center fielder had been on the disabled list since May. Then, A-Rod returned from hip surgery to make his season debut. Jeter is set to begin a rehab assignment in Class AAA. If the Yankees do come back, it will not be because of one turning point or because of the inspiration derived from more pinstriped history, but because they got their actual team on the field and not the glorified fill-ins.

I saw where your boy Jete's will be back Mon.. I hope he finishes the season strong for the worst team in the division. Has there been any talk of him retiring after the season in your weekly yankee fan club meetings?

• 2 weeks later...

MAYBE your heart will break more if justice is served and they have to forfeit all those won with PEDS on the team.... :hellyeah: and BTW, what is, " we an afford not o win everytime"? lol

Edited by telling tiger

Looks like your boys are going to come up a bit short. They have had a much better season, with all of the injuries, than I thought they could possibly have.

The sad thing for you is......your team is very old. You are losing Mo. Jete's should retire but I think he comes back. It's going to get worse because of the lack of quality youth, IMO.

Looks like your boys are going to come up a bit short. They have had a much better season, with all of the injuries, than I thought they could possibly have.

The sad thing for you is......your team is very old. You are losing Mo. Jete's should retire but I think he comes back. It's going to get worse because of the lack of quality youth, IMO.

Yep looking that way and all of what you say is correct but we are The Yankees and we will find a way...