Auburn takes care of Troy, 16-3

Hunter Morris hit two home runs, including the second of back-to-back shots with Brian Fletcher, and drove in five runs as Auburn exacted revenge on Troy for an earlier season loss, cruising to a 16-3 win on Tuesday night at Plainsman Park. Auburn  tallied five home runs on the night as it ran its record to 25-13.

“Hunter Morris had an outstanding game. He squared up every ball he hit today, even the ball he made an out on,” Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. “I think he is feeling pretty comfortable at the plate. He has matured so much as a hitter and he’s confident in his ability.”

Morris surpassed his career high in home runs and tied his career-high in RBI when he blasted a two-run shot in the seventh, giving him 13 home runs and 49 RBI on the season. Finishing the night 4-for-5 with three runs scored, he successfully extended his hitting streak to 13 games with his first-inning double, the first of two doubles on the night for the junior first baseman.

“I was seeing the ball well from the first pitch of the game. I was trying to get in the box and relax a little bit and trust my hands and let them work,” Morris said. “I could feel myself getting a little tense in my upper body, trying to get too strong and trying to do too much this past weekend against some guys with some good arms.”

Auburn took advantage of what the Troy defense was giving to them early as it collected four bunt base hits on the night, including two by Justin Fradejas. Leading off the game with a bunt down the first base line, he extended his hitting streak to 19 games, finishing the night 2-for-5 with a sac bunt.

Auburn scored three times in the first to give designated starter Cole Nelson (5-3) more than enough room to work with as he threw two shutout innings to pick up his first win since March 20 at Georgia.

Kevin Patterson hit a one-out solo home run to put Auburn up 4-0 and then Fletcher drove in a run when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to make it 5-0 after four innings.

The flood gates opened in the sixth when Auburn scored six times, three off the bat of Fletcher when he belted his 13th home run of the season, which was followed by the first of Morris’ blasts. Patterson and Ryan Jenkins both drove in runs in the inning as well as Auburn put the most runs on the Troy pitching staff this season.

A three-run seventh followed, with Creede Simpson collecting a RBI single and scoring on Morris’ second blast.

Justin Hargett’s first home run since the season-opener capped the scoring, as he drove in Jenkins, who had singled.

Auburn’s bullpen got four straight innings of shutout ball from Slade Smith, Michael Hurst and Sean Ray following Nelson before Troy tapped Bradley Hendrix, Stephen Kohlscheen and Austin Hubbard for a run each in the final three innings, though the three did combine to strike out five.

Troy starter Nick Ward (0-2) was saddled with the loss, allowing three runs (one earned) on four hits and a walk in three innings of work.

Troy dropped to 18-19 on the year.

Trent Mummey (1-for-4, 2 BB, 2 R) extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a seventh-inning single.

Auburn returns to Southeastern Conference action this weekend when it plays host to Kentucky. Game times for the series are 6:30pm CT on Friday, 3pm on Saturday and 1pm on Sunday.

Nice win especially with how we screwed up it against them the first time?  Any word on how 50 cent hot dog night went?  I was worried they might be headed for a riot scheduling on this date.

Nice win after losing the heartbreaker to them a few weeks back.  Much respect for Troy.  They're a solid program, but we are on a different level and have no business losing to them.  Lets take this momentum into the weekend.  'Really need to sweep one of the coming home series' and win the other two.  WDE!!!

They said that there were like 6,000 hot dogs bought. I personally ate 7.

Haha nice.  When it was 25 cent dogs my freshman year, my buddy bought twelve and the concession people asked "is that it?"  He also left the extra dogs unrefrigerated in his dorm room and ate them over the course of the next week.  Crazy.

They said that there were like 6,000 hot dogs bought. I personally ate 7.

Haha nice.  When it was 25 cent dogs my freshman year, my buddy bought twelve and the concession people asked "is that it?"  He also left the extra dogs unrefrigerated in his dorm room and ate them over the course of the next week.  Crazy.

Too funny :laugh:

Archived