Verez Ward

Rednilla

Does anybody know what's going on with him? Is he still possibly transferring? I'm hoping that his transfer would mean we have to clear another scholarship, what with Cothron's interest, but I would think this would be a critical development, considering our lack of point guards...

I am hearing that him transferring to Auburn is more likely to happen than not. I should know a lot more when the Spring semester ends at Texas.

In my honest opinion, this is just as big as getting Langford and Cothron, if Cothron does indeed sign with us. We have 1 guard on the roster currently that has significant game experience. Obviously, we are talking about Frankie Sullivan. I know we have Wallace, I think thats his name, and I liked him when he was playing, but was he on the floor during the last few minutes of the game when it mattered most. I'm seriously asking because I don't remember that well. Anyways, without Ward, we have Sullivan and thats about it. We need another guard real bad. Ward would be ideal in my opinion because he can run point and I like Sullivan at the 2 position so he can get himself open and spot up for his shot. I like Sullivan at the point, I'd just rather him be our shooting guard because he is deadly from outside. This is just my 2 cents regarding the possible transfer situation.

The signing period ends May 17th. If we're going to sign him to a scholarship this time it will have to be done by then.

I suppose he could pay his own way and walk on at Auburn, going on scholarship later.

The signing period ends May 17th. If we're going to sign him to a scholarship this time it will have to be done by then.

I suppose he could pay his own way and walk on at Auburn, going on scholarship later.

Are you sure that applies to transfers?

Am I certain? No, but I can't see any reason that it wouldn't. Remember, most transfers have to sit out a year anyway. Ward may have to sit out as well, unless the NCAA grants a waiver.

I am hearing that him transferring to Auburn is more likely to happen than not. I should know a lot more when the Spring semester ends at Texas.

Thanks ST.

Am I certain? No, but I can't see any reason that it wouldn't. Remember, most transfers have to sit out a year anyway. Ward may have to sit out as well, unless the NCAA grants a waiver.

Him coming to Auburn is dependent upon being granted a waiver, I think. As for walking on, I'm sure he could, but he wouldn't be able to help until the 2011-1012 year, and that would seem stupid when he could sign earlier and not have to pay while sitting out a year.

He would not transfer in this case without being granted that medical hardship waiver.

He would not transfer in this case without being granted that medical hardship waiver.

I suspect that if the NCAA gets the idea that his move back to Alabama is optional rather than medically critical they will deny the hardship request.

Maybe it's just me, but anything that has "NCAA Approval Needed" tied to it makes me doubtful until it's over and done. We've had too many guys miss a year of football because the NCAA clearing house couldn't get their job done on time.

It does not have to do with being medically necessary I don't think. I believe it is a rule that is already in place for when a player gets injured 2 years in a row. I am not sure though.

I thought and may be wrong, as I normally am..LOL  Medical transfers deal with family issues not you own (player wise)personal issues.....  read the rules... family hardship!!!    :wareagle:

I would love to see Ward added to the roster with eligibility to play right away.

Sure is a good thought.  Ward has potential, but I guess we will see on the transfer and hardship stuff. 

If you comes to AU, I hope he is able to stay healthy. He's missed most of the last two seasons with injury. He's an outstanding player but he has to find a way to stay on the court.

It does not have to do with being medically necessary I don't think. I believe it is a rule that is already in place for when a player gets injured 2 years in a row. I am not sure though.

It's a medical hardship transfer, which is intended to allow a player to move closer to home if a family member back home has a serious illness. I don't think they pass these out like candy at Mardi Gras. I believe you have to have documented proof from doctors and maybe other substantiating evidence.

Archived