Who do you start???

Knowing game 1 is against the 4 seed, do you pitch your 2nd or 3rd best pitcher still expecting to win or do you start your ace almost ensuring you'll win?  I tend to think you pitch #3 as the games will get tougher as you go along although it depends on the opposing pitcher.  If Jax St #1 is really good then I might need to rethink.  Maybe I start Nelson in Game 1???  Austin Lucas seems to be their ace at 6-0  4.97 ERA...with that being said maybe just maybe I'd start one of our top 2...any thoughts

I start Luckie. He has been the opening guy for pretty much the whole season. He is used to that role and the guys are used to seeing him on the mound for the opening game of the series, and quite frankly, I think he is our 3rd best pitcher. Grant Dayton is our best starter and Cole Nelson is as good as anybody when he is on. He was nearly unhittable at the beginning of the year. I throw Dayton 2nd against the winner of the first game of the tournament and Nelson in the 3rd game to win the regional. And I tell Slade Smith to be ready.

I bet Luckie get's the nod. He's who I'd throw.

He threw his best game of the year against Bama, regardless of the outcome. It would set up Dayton nicely for Game 2. And if and when we advance, I'd go with Slade Smith for Game 3. JMO

Let's take a regional!

:we:

Knowing game 1 is against the 4 seed, do you pitch your 2nd or 3rd best pitcher still expecting to win or do you start your ace almost ensuring you'll win?  I tend to think you pitch #3 as the games will get tougher as you go along although it depends on the opposing pitcher.  If Jax St #1 is really good then I might need to rethink.  Maybe I start Nelson in Game 1???  Austin Lucas seems to be their ace at 6-0   4.97 ERA...with that being said maybe just maybe I'd start one of our top 2...any thoughts

No...You pitch your best pitcher to give yourself the best chance to win the first one and play from the winners side. Never underestimate any opponent in one game and do not out think yourself. Play with your best in game one and go from there.. 

Knowing game 1 is against the 4 seed, do you pitch your 2nd or 3rd best pitcher still expecting to win or do you start your ace almost ensuring you'll win?  I tend to think you pitch #3 as the games will get tougher as you go along although it depends on the opposing pitcher.  If Jax St #1 is really good then I might need to rethink.  Maybe I start Nelson in Game 1???  Austin Lucas seems to be their ace at 6-0   4.97 ERA...with that being said maybe just maybe I'd start one of our top 2...any thoughts

No...You pitch your best pitcher to give yourself the best chance to win the first one and play from the winners side. Never underestimate any opponent in one game and do not out think yourself. Play with your best in game one and go from there.. 

No, you save your best pitcher for Clemson to try and make it to the championship game with no losses.  Luckie is more than capable of beating Jax State.  They aren't underestimating Jax State by throwing Luckie against them.  If he's good enough to throw in SEC games, he's good enough against Jax State.  AU played JSU a couple of weeks ago, the only pitchers they could get any production against were two of AU's bottom of the bullpen guys.   

I believe you either state Luckie or Slade. I'm all for keeping the rotation and not looking over JSU, but it would just pain me to see us start Luckie, win 10-0 and know that we will need him later and that we didn't need to start him. I don't know its a tough decision, but I would not be surprised to see Slade start Saturday. He has pitched well and that would save our best 2 pitchers for hopefully the last two games

Normally I'd say start your best pitcher first. But....we beat Jax State week before last using none of our regulars. I don't think they can keep us from scoring a bunch.

Given that:

Game 1, Luckie

Game 2, Dayton

Game 3, Nelson

Slade Smith ready for long relief if needed, or for (blah!) game 4 if necessary.

Note: If we win straight through, we won't have to play a fourth game.

You have to go with Luckie. He went nose to nose with Bammer last week and he certainly pitched well enough to win giving up 3 runs in 7 innings. The first 2 runs should have never scored if we can catch an easy ground ball and turn a double play. That being said I think we turn the offense back up in Auburn and even if he does give up a few runs I think we out score them. Then you have Dayton for game 2 against Clemson most likely. If we win that one I think we are about 90% to get to the Super Regionals!

If memory serves me correctly, Slade started that game against Jacksonville State a couple of weeks ago and pitched like 2.0 innings or so.

Slade pitched 2 scoreless innings against Jax State in a designated start.  The bullpen gave up 7 to Jax State, but all of that came from pitchers you won't see this weekend unless we are in deep trouble.

No...You pitch your best pitcher to give yourself the best chance to win the first one and play from the winners side. Never underestimate any opponent in one game and do not out think yourself. Play with your best in game one and go from there.

No, you save your best pitcher for Clemson to try and make it to the championship game with no losses.  Luckie is more than capable of beating Jax State.  They aren't underestimating Jax State by throwing Luckie against them.  If he's good enough to throw in SEC games, he's good enough against Jax State.  AU played JSU a couple of weeks ago, the only pitchers they could get any production against were two of AU's bottom of the bullpen guys.   

You realize that we only beat Jax St 9-7. You have to win the first one...You said "They aren't underestimating Jax State by throwing Luckie against them.  If he's good enough to throw in SEC games, he's good enough against Jax State.". If that is the case and it should be would not the reverse apply? If he is good enough to pitch against the SEC he is good enough to pitch against Clemson. If we under estimate Jax st and they win, we are in trouble. We need to build momentum from the start...

Normally, I would say go with your best pitcher (Dayton) in the tourneys...you do not need to get in the loser's bracket like we did in the SEC tourney as vary few teams have the depth to pitch their way out of it. It also gives you a chance to bring him back sooner. And as we know all too well, good pitching can shut down good hitting.  In the regional, it would make sense to start #2 (Luckie) since we are a #1 going against the #4 and a team we have already beaten, and then go with your #1 against the winner (presumably Clemson, but who knows) to give you the best chance at that point to stay in the winners' bracket.

If we make it out of the regional, that philosphy might change.

I do not think we need to do the 1,2,3 we have been doing for series just because that worked most of the time during the season.

Hope all of the guys play well this weekend and the bammers don't, then we can play Ga. Tech...presumably.WE

Personally, a lot of you would think I am crazy but I would start Slade Smith in the 1st, Grant Dayton in the 2nd and Cory Luckie in the 3rd game. I know it's taking a risks but if Slade gets it done in the first game you are more than likely going to win the regional in 3 straight games.

I don't disagree with you ST. I think our bats will be enough against JSU anyway. Yes we only beat them 9-7 in a middle of the week game that didn't mean anything at that time. This is a much BIGGER game.

Why fix what isn't broken? I would try to make not to break the routine these guys have already gotten into. HAVE to win the first one, we can't afford to start out like we did in the SEC tourney!

Well we went into the SEC tourney thinking "why fix what isn't broken" and it broke. We lost the first game, barely won the second and lost the 3rd. IMO, the rotation they used on the weekend isn't going to work in a tourney unless you shake the order compared to the team your playing.

Luckie was obviously named the starter but if it were me I would start Slade. He has pitched very well over the last weeks and it would save our 2 best for later in the regional. I say if we get out to a quick lead on Friday which is a 4 or 5 run lead after the 2nd inning. I would put Slade in there and save Luckie for Sunday, but thats just me.

Thing is, Clemson will be shooting their big gun Saturday as well. We have to match that with Drayton. By Sunday, everybody will be on down the list and I'll trust our big bats in that situation.

The first two games are key, and Luckie should have Jax State somewhat overmatched. We really want to get to Sunday unbeaten. If we do, we can boom 'em on out in a slugging match.

Thing is, Clemson will be shooting their big gun Saturday as well. We have to match that with Drayton. By Sunday, everybody will be on down the list and I'll trust our big bats in that situation.

The first two games are key, and Luckie should have Jax State somewhat overmatched. We really want to get to Sunday unbeaten. If we do, we can boom 'em on out in a slugging match.

You sure???  S Miss is a whole lot better than Jax St.  Clemson may need to use their #1 or they may be playing in the losers bracket

You sure???  S Miss is a whole lot better than Jax St.  Clemson may need to use their #1 or they may be playing in the losers bracket

Of course I'm not sure. I'm just thinking about what's logical. The way this regional breaks down, Auburn, the top seed, is the best hitting team. I expect Auburn to see Clemson's top pitcher.

Well we went into the SEC tourney thinking "why fix what isn't broken" and it broke. We lost the first game, barely won the second and lost the 3rd. IMO, the rotation they used on the weekend isn't going to work in a tourney unless you shake the order compared to the team your playing.

Luckie pitched an outstanding game we just ran into the one pitcher that we have had the most struggle with... I think pitching Luckie first is smart. We gotta take the first two. Then we can out slug them Sunday

I've coached through a lot of baseball tournaments. Yes, the first game is important and you can out smart yourself.

However, the biggest game in any double-elimination tournament is the final winner's bracket game. That's the game where the winner sits back and watches the others waste pitching trying to stay alive.

In the case of a four team tournament it's particularly true, and when the expected toughest opponent is the one you'll likely face on day two and your opening day opponent is someone you should handle, all the logic is with saving your top gun for game 2.

As TigerPaw1 just said, we can out-slug them on Sunday. If we get to Sunday unbeaten we'll have two games to win one.

Personally, a lot of you would think I am crazy but I would start Slade Smith in the 1st, Grant Dayton in the 2nd and Cory Luckie in the 3rd game. I know it's taking a risks but if Slade gets it done in the first game you are more than likely going to win the regional in 3 straight games.

exactly,If we use Luckie up against JSU and then we lose to Clemson our two starting pitchers are history and were in dire staits with pitching with three  games to win ..IMO Slade's the way to go.

Archived