OLDEST AE MEMBER

BTW, guys, let's get that "Punt Bama Punt" video up here.  Anybody know how?

Is this the one you want pops?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcp-ZV0Tw04

golf, I knew you would have that video but I have a question, was that the first block or the second?

It was the second block punt. Gary Sanders was not near that excited about the first one.

Here are his exact words and I believe it was Gusty Yearout you hear in the booth screaming

Gary Sanders was the radio play-by-play announcer for Auburn football in the early 1970s, and his call of the blocked punts, particularly the last one, is familiar to many Auburn fans and has been available on several audio tapes and CD's sold in Auburn University bookstores through the years. The call of the first blocked punt was rather subdued, possibly because Alabama had dominated the game to that point. The call went as follows:

“ Greg Gantt is in to punt, Johnny Simmons is going back as a single safety, Mitchell and Langner on the...uh...line of scrimmage coming from either side to try to block the kick. Auburn trying to go after it, here's the snap, they got it! Blocked kick! Ball's back to the 25, picked up on the bounce at the 25-yard-line, and in for a touchdown is David Langner! ”

The call of the second blocked punt is heard more often, and was delivered with much more enthusiasm from Sanders. Additionally, others in the broadcast booth and press box can be heard screaming and yelling over Sanders call. Sanders, possibly due to being caught up in the moment, identified Roger Mitchell as the player who blocked the kick, when Bill Newton (who had blocked the first one) actually blocked it:

“ Greg Gantt standing on his own 30, Auburn will try to block it. Auburn going after it, here's the good snap...it is blocked!!! It is blocked!!! It's caught on the run!!! It's caught on the run and he's gonna score!!! David Langner!!! David Langner has scored and Auburn has tied the game!!! Roger Mitchell blocked the kick! And it's 16 to 16!

golf, I knew you would have that video but I have a question, was that the first block or the second?

It was the second block punt. Gary Sanders was not near that excited about the first one.

Here are his exact words and I believe it was Gusty Yearout you hear in the booth screaming

Gary Sanders was the radio play-by-play announcer for Auburn football in the early 1970s, and his call of the blocked punts, particularly the last one, is familiar to many Auburn fans and has been available on several audio tapes and CD's sold in Auburn University bookstores through the years. The call of the first blocked punt was rather subdued, possibly because Alabama had dominated the game to that point. The call went as follows:

“ Greg Gantt is in to punt, Johnny Simmons is going back as a single safety, Mitchell and Langner on the...uh...line of scrimmage coming from either side to try to block the kick. Auburn trying to go after it, here's the snap, they got it! Blocked kick! Ball's back to the 25, picked up on the bounce at the 25-yard-line, and in for a touchdown is David Langner! ”

The call of the second blocked punt is heard more often, and was delivered with much more enthusiasm from Sanders. Additionally, others in the broadcast booth and press box can be heard screaming and yelling over Sanders call. Sanders, possibly due to being caught up in the moment, identified Roger Mitchell as the player who blocked the kick, when Bill Newton (who had blocked the first one) actually blocked it:

“ Greg Gantt standing on his own 30, Auburn will try to block it. Auburn going after it, here's the good snap...it is blocked!!! It is blocked!!! It's caught on the run!!! It's caught on the run and he's gonna score!!! David Langner!!! David Langner has scored and Auburn has tied the game!!! Roger Mitchell blocked the kick! And it's 16 to 16!

Thanks golf, I thought that might be the case. On a side note, I had a computer class with Langner. I was surprised on how little he was. All muscle though.

Thanks golf, I thought that might be the case. On a side note, I had a computer class with Langner. I was surprised on how little he was. All muscle though.

And wired tighter than an eight-day alarm clock!!

And wired tighter than an eight-day alarm clock!!

Yes David was small he and I did not get along to well. As a matter of fact I couldn't stand the sob.

Now that you mention it golf he wasn't very friendly. Sort of stayed to himself and did not interact with the other students in the class. Being 15 years older than he was and having seen a lot more of life than a football field I didn't care one way or the other. He just sort of snubbed the younger folks in the class when they tried to strike up a converstation with him which I thought was a little trite on his part. But he is still a big part of AU football history. Right place at the right time.

slammer he is what we would call today bipolar. Or as Barney Fife would say "his a nut". This is from one of my earlier post on this thread.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

One day at Sewell Hall dorm where the jocks lived. I came in the parking lot to park in my car. No it was not a free car. David sob Langer was washing his car. So I'm minding my own business and the SOB decides to stray my car. Bad ideal on my part because I get out and say a few choice words. David had a little temper and would fight the biggest baddest guys around. Next I know his got me on the ground holding me by my shirt collar. Lucky for me I had friends on the offensive line who saw it but they lived on the second floor. Chuck Flecher 'sp' one of the lineman weighted about 300lbs came down just in time to save my a**. True story less then 45 minutes later Langer see me again like nothing ever happen. All I can say about David is he was the dirtiest player around in practice and games. I will tell another story about him when we played UGA in Auburn later. 

Moving on, anybody got a Bobby Hoppe story?

Well Pops I can only relate a personal experience I had in the 50s of meeting him. A fraternity brother of mine was on football scholarship and lived in Graves Center and was Hoppe's roommate (lucky him, my roommate I mean). Golf, Graves Center might have disappeared when you got there. It was a whole slew of wooden cabins the jocks stayed in. I don't know when Sewell Hall was built because I think I was still in the Marine Corps. Anyway my friend, Eli and I had just stopped by so he could change clothes. While he was getting dressed Hoppe came in. I'm not sure he even acknowledged my presence which was fine by me. He got a pistol out and proclaimed he was going to shoot the place up. Well I did not know if he was joking or not but I didn't want to hang around to find out. He was one very scary individual. Golf you mentioned Langner was bipolar, well I think they had Hoppe in mind when the shrinks came up with that term. I think both of you might be aware of him "allegedly" blowing a guy away that had done his sister wrong in Chattanooga. Pops like I said in an earlier post, if Darwin Holt had done to Hoppe what he did to Chick Granning he would not be alive 24 hours after Hoppe had gotten out of the hospital.

Moving on, anybody got a Bobby Hoppe story?

Well Pops I can only relate a personal experience I had in the 50s of meeting him. A fraternity brother of mine was on football scholarship and lived in Graves Center and was Hoppe's roommate (lucky him, my roommate I mean). Golf, Graves Center might have disappeared when you got there. It was a whole slew of wooden cabins the jocks stayed in. I don't know when Sewell Hall was built because I think I was still in the Marine Corps. Anyway my friend, Eli and I had just stopped by so he could change clothes. While he was getting dressed Hoppe came in. I'm not sure he even acknowledged my presence which was fine by me. He got a pistol out and proclaimed he was going to shoot the place up. Well I did not know if he was joking or not but I didn't want to hang around to find out. He was one very scary individual. Golf you mentioned Langner was bipolar, well I think they had Hoppe in mind when the shrinks came up with that term. I think both of you might be aware of him "allegedly" blowing a guy away that had done his sister wrong in Chattanooga. Pops like I said in an earlier post, if Darwin Holt had done to Hoppe what he did to Chick Granning he would not be alive 24 hours after Hoppe had gotten out of the hospital.

A few of them were still there. I heard about all the storys about Bobby. Any of you guys remember Tom Banks played center  for AU. I got some storys about him I'll tell later. Not as crazy as Bobby but he  was a little different.

I remember Tom Banks but I remember his daddy more. He was the football coach at John Carroll HS in Bham. I was in the service when Tom Jr. played there. His daddy was one mean sob. Good coach though. I am not surprised Tom Jr. did so well.

As to Hoppe and his murder trial, here is a link. Very interesting reading.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-19/sports/sp-7806_1_murder-time/1

I was just listening and reading about the turd fans' reaction to the Arky game, and it reminded me of a past Iron Bowl game experience.  In victory, they always become SO GRACIOUS with the " they're a good team, and we had to play our best, but it was good enough" CRAP.  A friend and myself went to an IB in Birmingham: it was the year that Ray Perkins caught a big TD pass right in front of us, don't know the year.  In those days, you could park downtown and take a shuttle to Legion Field.  After they beat us, we were on the shuttle back and all these bammers were thanking us for beating UGA, thus allowing them to win the conference championchip ( this was before divisions).  My friend and I wanted to pewk!!  But when the turds lose, the real person comes out!!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I got question that I can't find the answer to, and I'm sure one of you guys has to know. In golf's sig, there is a big AU on the front of Jordan Hare. I've seen this once this year, for the Clemson game. Do they only put that up during really big, nationally hyped games like Clemson, or is it something else? Any insight is appreciated

Alright I got question that I can't find the answer to, and I'm sure one of you guys has to know. In golf's sig, there is a big AU on the front of Jordan Hare. I've seen this once this year, for the Clemson game. Do they only put that up during really big, nationally hyped games like Clemson, or is it something else? Any insight is appreciated

They put it up this year when Gameday was here. It was in the background shot for the show.

Frightening thought:  On November 4, my birthday, I will have lived 24,471 days on this earth.  By that date, I will have spent the equivalent of 30 days on AE, or over 0.1% of my life.  However, I have spent over 78% of my life as an Auburn Tiger!!  Frughtening, and worthless, information!!

Did you include leap years? j/k pops Early Happy B'Day to you.

Actually, golf, I did!!  I'll be 67, so I included 16 leap days.  This is anal, but I'm bored.  We need a new commitment!! 

Pops, Happy Birthday to you!! Wifey's is November 6 so we can have a double celebration!! Haven't posted in a while. I guess I like to lurk more than post but I thought your birthday was special so here I am.

I hope Cam has his A game Saturday, we need this one. I am excited about this season but don't want put a mojo on it. One game at a time. I am old enough to know that nothing in this life is guaranteed.

Golf, hope this finds you doing well. This seems to be a special season so far, just hope we can keep it up. Like everything else in life its not the destination, but the journey that is the thrill. Really looking forward to Saturday with cautious optimism.  WDE y'all, kick em in the butt Big Blue!!!

Pops, Happy Birthday to you!! Wifey's is November 6 so we can have a double celebration!! Haven't posted in a while. I guess I like to lurk more than post but I thought your birthday was special so here I am.

I hope Cam has his A game Saturday, we need this one. I am excited about this season but don't want put a mojo on it. One game at a time. I am old enough to know that nothing in this life is guaranteed.

Golf, hope this finds you doing well. This seems to be a special season so far, just hope we can keep it up. Like everything else in life its not the destination, but the journey that is the thrill. Really looking forward to Saturday with cautious optimism.  WDE y'all, kick em in the butt Big Blue!!!

Thanks many times, Slammer!!  WDE!!  ( I've got a very good feeling about this weekend!!)  Is this stuff about Cam and UF stupid or what?  Maybe, after Nov.2,  we can get this country back on track!!!

My take on the Cam "wish I was still at FL" comment. I think he was relaying his thinking when he was at FL and has no bearing on his thinking now. Totally taken out of context. I am sure he had the same personality back then. IE, love my team mates etc. He was just very immature in how he handled the laptop situation but let's look at his situation back then.

He was in trouble with the team because of the laptop incident, Tebow was coming back for his senior year and he was number three on the depth chart behind Brantley. It is my understanding that Auburn was his first choice out of high school but found out that Kodi Burns was our first choice so Cam took the best option and went to FL. FL was on top of the world back then. Two NCs, the cream of the SEC and loaded with 5 stars. What kid would want to leave a program with those credentials? The answer is - NONE!! Again, I think when he made the statement, "if it was up to me I would still be at FL." he was talking about his situation as it was back then, not now. The doors had all closed behing him in 2007 and he made the very wise choice to leave and get his act together which he did at Blinn.

My hat is off to Gene Chizik for recognizing the talent that Cam now has shown the world. An old commanding officer once told me early in my Marine Corps career that the key to leadership is to surround yourself with talent and keep your mouth shut and let them do their jobs and only step in if the situation dictates to do so. I think that is exactly what Coach Chizik has done and we are now reaping the reward of that kind of thinking. Now, with all that being said, let's all get behind Cam and kick us some serious LSU butt. WDE y'all

:aufb:

Slammer, if I could give one lesson to the younger members on here, it would be what you said about surrounding yourself with the best people and getting them to work together.  That worked for me in my life, and will always work in the real world.

Slammer, if I could give one lesson to the younger members on here, it would be what you said about surrounding yourself with the best people and getting them to work together.  That worked for me in my life, and will always work in the real world.

That is so true. I was in management my entire career and as pops says it worked for me as well.

That is so true. I was in management my entire career and as pops says it worked for me as well.

And you know, I think ST has applied this to this site.  These kids, J-S, a4e, DJ, Bird, Brandon, etc., have had to withstand a lot of controversy the last few days, and I think they've done it well.