OLDEST AE MEMBER

Ok, all you old farts, if you're still awake, bring it!!  From our perspective, as senior Auburn fans.  My son just called and we rehashed our memories watching this team and past ones.  From a 67 year old man, it just doesn't get any better.  Please guys, let me know how you've spent the last hour, and your thoughts.

I was just thinking of my Dad who raised us to be Auburn fans. We had the old API banners as kids. He was a "Shug" fan. He recently left us for his home on a brighter shore. I know he would have enjoyed tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed hearing about a lot of the older people's auburn experiences. I'm a student at Auburn now, and it's great to see and hear the transformation that has happened, yet we all are united in our support of Auburn. Oh and we just won a national championship. War Eagle to all, young and old. We're in this together

With the news of Ed Dyas passing today, I started to think about this thread and wondered if any of ya'll knew him or had any stories on him... I haven't read the whole thread but have read parts and haven't seen his name.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, "seasoned Auburn citizens", any thoughts on the happenings of the past few weeks?  Here's mine.  I thought that if Auburn ever won a National Championship in my lifetime, it would be a time of unmeasured joy to me and my family.  So far, hasn't worked out that way.  In fact, I am now having to "pinch" myself to remember this wonderful, great past season.  I have to ask myself,"why in the Good Lord's name, should I allow anything outside my control to affect my unfettered joy?  I do not have an answer, but I must be honest and tell you that this crap has gotten the best of me, for now. 

pops hate to agree with you but this has been one of the toughest seasons to go thru. Everywhere I go dawgs, rebals, vols, tiders, bengal tigers, hogs, wildcats, and gamecocks fans seem to hate us. The only ones who have never given me grive are gators fans. Its crazy. I mean it seems like true hate that we won the NC. I can't even enjoy it. Not one of those teams fans has said congrat's on winning the NC. I'm at at lost. I live in Ga. and not one dawg fan has said congrat's thanks for winning for the NC for the SEC. It's like they are pissed off at me and Auburn for winning. Like you said it gotten the best of me. It's very disappointing and very very straight. Hopefully some of the other older guys have better experiences.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any timeline info on the tornado that hit Samford Hall?  Yesterday was, and is, going to be life-changing for so many people;  for that, I am so, so, sorry.  And I pray for everyone's safety and well-being.  But Auburn University has taken a direct hit from a tornado, but I can't find the details.  Help??

• 4 weeks later...

Short story about umbrellas.

Coming from high school to Auburn I had never had to walk from building to building to go to class. And walking from Haley Center to Funchess Hall was a hike. At times it rains so I go out and buy a cheap unbrella. Sit in class and darn I would leave my unbrella  in the classroom because the rain had stopped. Well after leaving 4 or 5 unbrellas I came up with a plan. I was living on $15 bucks a week so I figured if I bought the most expensive unbrella around I would never forget it. The unbrella cost $25 and it killed me to pay that much but it worked I still have that unbrella today after 41 years it still works great. It is an oversize golf like Auburn unbrella. Orange and Blue with a large Tiger on it. The unbrella cost $25 and it killed me to pay that much. Just wanted to share

Coming from high school to Auburn I had never had to walk from building to building to go to class. And walking from Haley Center to Funchess Hall was a hike. At times it rains so I go out and buy a cheap unbrella. Sit in class and darn I would leave my unbrella  in the classroom because the rain had stopped. Well after leaving 4 or 5 unbrellas I came up with a plan. I was living on $15 bucks a week so I figured if I bought the most expensive unbrella around I would never forget it. The unbrella cost $25 and it killed me to pay that much but it worked I still have that unbrella today after 41 years it still works great. It is an oversize golf like Auburn unbrella. Orange and Blue with a large Tiger on it. The unbrella cost $25 and it killed me to pay that much. Just wanted to share

Golf, great story, and I, too, remember that hike, and MY solution was a big, hard to forget unbrella ( the n and m on the keyboard are too close together for us older folks!!)  j/k

Golf, great story, and I, too, remember that hike, and MY solution was a big, hard to forget unbrella ( the n and m on the keyboars are too close together for us older folks!!)  j/k

Tell me about it.  :laugh:

• 1 month later...

i'm 40 years old ... guess that puts me in the "middle" aged bracket ...

went to auburn a few times growing up ... i'm a 3rd generation auburn guy ... grew up in NW Florida ...

my first memories of Auburn were after a game going to watch all of the nuts at Toomer's Corner throwing toilet paper and rocking the stew out of some cars ... not very bright to drive through there after a game.

as a freshman in high school, went with my brother on a 1984 recruiting trip.  HC vs Cincinnati (60-0).  went in the locker room and met all of the players.  I was a center and thought Ben Tamburello was the coolest guy ever...only autograph i got.  werent there a couple of other good players on the team that year  ;)

also, on a side note.  did any of you guys know George "Rake" Rogers?  He passed away the beginning of June.  Was best of friends with my father-in-law.  I knew him some.  Was a great man.  Any friend of my father-in-law is a great guy in my book.

Well welcome to the old members thread. You are a little young but more than welcome to post. My wife and I was there for the  Cincinnati game. I believe James Joseph returned a punt for a TD that day. Also our tickets back then were next to J&M season ticket holders. Trey was not fun to sit by. Enought said. Post often t

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, you old flattulant fumblers (my fantasy football handle)!!  Just had an epiphiny, because it seems to me that our young AU students and recent grads aren't getting a very good education.  The English language is under assault on this board!!  And I am talking about simple stuff: First person singular vs. first person plural, etc,.  On a personal note, I just had the challenge to be required to learn new computer technology (software and hardware) in a professional situation I was thrust into.  Listen, my first job in 1965 out of Auburn was with IBM, but I did not want to touch this thing!!  But the kids teaching me used the same bad diction that I see on this board every day.  Don't know about you, but I AIN'T calling anybody a redneck in a trailer down by the river, until I master the English language!!

IBM white shirts blue tie in those days

Dateline New Orleans Sales Office, January 1966;  reported my first day to my sales manager, H. ROSS PEROT!!  I was sent home to find socks that matched my tie!!  God as my witness, true story!!

At one time the saying was IBM ruled the world. I was dating a girl who worked for them in 1976. She was programmed to be loyal to IBM it was surreal

• 2 weeks later...

In the beginning there was God and Golf.  Golf was lonely just running around with no clothes on by himself.  So God created Adam and Eve.  At first it was fun having to playmates,  but the two guys to one girl ratio wasn't cool to Golf.  This situation wasn't helped by the fact Adam was much more of a stud then Golf.  So Golf prayed and prayed to have Eve but God said "bro you on your own on this one"  Then Golf gave the famous "apple" to Adam and said "this fruit is the bomb dawg" So Adam ate it.  Even though Golf got he wanted, to be alone with Eve.  Golf is the real reason we have Jesus now!  Now thats old!  WE bro!

In the beginning there was God and Golf.  Golf was lonely just running around with no clothes on by himself.  So God created Adam and Eve.  At first it was fun having to playmates,  but the two guys to one girl ratio wasn't cool to Golf.  This situation wasn't helped by the fact Adam was much more of a stud then Golf.  So Golf prayed and prayed to have Eve but God said "bro you on your own on this one"  Then Golf gave the famous "apple" to Adam and said "this fruit is the bomb dawg" So Adam ate it.  Even though Golf got he wanted, to be alone with Eve.  Golf is the real reason we have Jesus now!  Now thats old!  WE bro!

:laugh: You been drinking again 73? Good story

So are you saying golf is a snake??    :dunno:

• 3 months later...

Not sure if I ever told the story about a recruiting trip we were on and had Tom Banks and Miles Jones as our player guides. Miles Jones not much of a player but he could line up the coeds