OLDEST AE MEMBER

Pops, I do remember the Greenhouse very well. Are you sure it wasn't across the street from the KA house back then (south college and samford). I checked the satellite and it seems to be where the Bar-B-Que House is now.  It looks like there is another restaurant called The Amsterdam Cafe where the KA house was or maybe it is the old KA house turned into a restaurant. I remember I would eat meals at the Greenhouse  on occasion. I will definitely check it out when  I go down to the Plains this season. I used to live right behind it on South Gay during my '73-'75 stay in Auburn. I lived right next door to our track coach at the time Wilbur Hutsell but I can't remember if he was retired or not, great guy!

BTW golf, I wish weegle had posted some pics of the drill field the niight that we both remember from back then but the sensors  would have axed those.  ;D  Unfortunate!!!  >:(

Pops, I do remember the Greenhouse very well. Are you sure it wasn't across the street from the KA house back then (south college and samford). I checked the satellite and it seems to be where the Bar-B-Que House is now.  It looks like there is another restaurant called The Amsterdam Cafe where the KA house was or maybe it is the old KA house turned into a restaurant. I remember I would eat meals at the Greenhouse  on occasion. I will definitely check it out when  I go down to the Plains this season. I used to live right behind it on South Gay during my '73-'75 stay in Auburn. I lived right next door to our track coach at the time Wilbur Hutsell but I can't remember if he was retired or not, great guy!

Wilbur was retired then, Mel Rosen had taken over for him. I do remember the Greenhouse now. You've got an excellent memory slammer.

I guess my memory is getting bad, but the bottom line was those boarding houses were a very important of Auburn University history.  Thank you guys for sharing!!

I got the ideal from slammer and I checked the satellite to find my old eating grow and its on S. Gay St. I think its now called "The Gnu's Room Bookstore & Coffee House" whatever the heck that is.

Yeah Pops you are right about the boarding houses. They fed and housed a lot of students. They were all over the place in '57. I had a room in the C&C dorm back then. It was AIR CONDITIONED!!! Probably the only one back then. It was located on Thach about 100 yards from South Gay away from the campus. I remember there was a great big white house on the corner that had a eatery in in the basement. Connie Cotton a drop dead good looking majorette used to eat there. I would go in there just to get a look at her. I remember I would play "Tequila" by the Champs over and over on the jukebox. This was before it hit the charts nationally. She rally liked that song. Oh the memories!

Golf, thanks for the memory compliment but you would get one hell of a argument from those that know me, especially my wife.  ;D

Yeah Pops you are right about the boarding houses. They fed and housed a lot of students. They were all over the place in '57. I had a room in the C&C dorm back then. It was AIR CONDITIONED!!! Probably the only one back then. It was located on Thach about 100 yards from South Gay away from the campus. I remember there was a great big white house on the corner that had a eatery in in the basement. Connie Cotton a drop dead good looking majorette used to eat there. I would go in there just to get a look at her. I remember I would play "Tequila" by the Champs over and over on the jukebox. This was before it hit the charts nationally. She rally liked that song. Oh the memories!

Golf, thanks for the memory compliment but you would get one hell of a argument from those that know me, especially my wife.  ;D

We just remember what we want to remember, slammer.  :laugh: 

Ok pops, slammer, AU60, around4ever do any of you remember the Kopper Kettle Rest. on East Magnolia Avenue. Boy I use to go there often plus if you were broke you could buy toast for 15 cents add a little syrup and butter and you had yourself a meal. The lady at Kopper Kettle with painted on lips! She was funny when she wanted to be. Terrible explosion in 1979 due to a gas leak.

Before the explosion

2rvzor4.jpg

After the explosion

2cra58x.jpg

My brother lasted 2 quarters at AU. Mostly because he was making money at the pool hall, he was very at pool, but he also flunk out of AU because he spend so much time there.

My brother lasted 2 quarters at AU. Mostly because he was making money at the pool hall, he was very at pool, but he also flunk out of AU because he spend so much time there.

That sounds a little like my story except I hung in for 2-1/2 years.  I tell people, when asked, that I was majoring in Partyology with a minor in Geometry (as in pool tables). 

Golf, thanks for the pic of the old Kopper Kettle. I can't begin to tell you how many times I went there late at night trying to sober up. Boy does that place bring back the memories. I think it opened in 1958. The old SPE house was down the street towards Glenn, just across from the Piggly Wiggly, so we had many occasions to go up to the "kettle" for a late night snack. I am sorry to hear about the explosion in 1979. I hope nobody was killed. What time of day/night did it happen? I sure hope it was when nobody was around. I was in Dallas, TX at the time so I know I would not have known about it. Anyway any time you want to have a brew or two let me know. We could really share some stories, however I don't know if you could tear yourself away from the puter long enough.  ;D

I heard it was all the years of alcohol going down the toilet.  One of the workers dropped a cigarette in the toilet and, well, you know the rest of the story.  BTW, they found him down by Toomer's Drugs covered in s--t pulling TP out of the trees.   

Seems like I remember food fights, and something to do with mustard and ketchup packets.  Also, the proper name is the "Kopper Kettle (pronounced Ka-teel')"

Oh yeah food fights, guys coming in trying to sober up, even a few girls who just broke up with there boyfriend. Their coconut cream pie was very good.

Just went to Ace Hardware here in Nashville, with my ragged AE t-shirt on, to get a couple of A/C filters (it's hot and my A/C needs all the help it can get).  I got a WAR EAGLE!!! from another customer.  We met and shared stories: he went to Auburn in the mid-70s, and has a freshman and sophomore there now.  They're going down next week to get situated for the coming year.  We were talking about what a great year we were gonna have, and a UT fan chimed in; "I hope you guys are right, because I hate those Bammers!  At least you guys are decent people".  We both told him to cheer up, because they were not only not be National Champs, they weren't even going to be State Champs!!!  He(the AU Dad) wrote the AE web address on the palm of his hand (ala Sarah Palin), and I told him about this thread.  Hopefully, we'll hear from him soon.  I know this happens all the time in Alabama, but not here, so this was cool!!

Well I'm not the oldest born in 1949 but you will never find a bigger AU fan than me.  I started going to games in 57 or 58 and since 65 I have missed 4 home games.  There are more memories than you can believe in that time.  But one of the best is the 1971 AU Uga game in Athens.

Five of us piled into a car on that Saturday morning without one ticket and headed to the game.  When we got there, tickets were selling for $200 each.  Being College students we did not have $200 between all of us.  We milled around and I found a kid selling programs.  He had a pass for the game on a sting tied his jacket.  I bought a program and ask if I could buy his pass and he sold it to me for $20.

I went into the game and passed it back to each of our party and then back to the kid.  Of course Sullivan had the game of his life and probably won the Heismen that afternoon.  On the way home we found some poster board and drove thur  Athen proclaiming  "Sullivan for Pope"

I haven't thought of the Kettle in years but the drunkest if have ever been was at the Kettle.  The guys I was with said I passed out sitting at the counter.  I woke up the next morning back in my room but I could not tell you how I got there.

I haven't thought of the Kettle in years but the drunkest if have ever been was at the Kettle.  The guys I was with said I passed out sitting at the counter.  I woke up the next morning back in my room but I could not tell you how I got there.

You're not alone with that story. I think I passed out 2 or 3 times at the Kettle. Have no ideal how I got back to my room. I no I didn't walk back.

Well I'm not the oldest born in 1949 but you will never find a bigger AU fan than me.  I started going to games in 57 or 58 and since 65 I have missed 4 home games.  There are more memories than you can believe in that time.  But one of the best is the 1971 AU Uga game in Athens.

Five of us piled into a car on that Saturday morning without one ticket and headed to the game.  When we got there, tickets were selling for $200 each.  Being College students we did not have $200 between all of us.  We milled around and I found a kid selling programs.  He had a pass for the game on a sting tied his jacket.  I bought a program and ask if I could buy his pass and he sold it to me for $20.

I went into the game and passed it back to each of our party and then back to the kid.  Of course Sullivan had the game of his life and probably won the Heismen that afternoon.  On the way home we found some poster board and drove thur  Athen proclaiming  "Sullivan for Pope"

He definitely won the Heisman that game. Here is a little short description of the game.

The 1971 game came at a time when both teams looked nearly unbeatable and, were it not for a glut of undefeated teams atop the rankings, both could have contended for national championships.

Both squads were undefeated. Auburn was ranked sixth, Georgia seventh, and the showdown in Athens was anticipated nationally.

Georgia coach Vince Dooley, an Auburn alumnus, remembers his team as one of the best he had ever coached. The Bulldogs had an imposing defense led by Chip Wisdom, Chuck Heard, and Mixon Robinson. They allowed 25 points to Oregon State in the opener, but allowed only four touchdowns in the next eight games combined.

The night before the game, students met on Auburn for the traditional "Burn the Bulldogs" pep rally and bonfire. About 13 bulldogs, most made of crepe paper and chicken wire, were sacrificed to the fire. A few students got creative with the fake dogs, constructing them out of graham cracker and marshmallow, potatoes, or ice cream cones.

The rally set the right tone for senior quarterback Pat Sullivan's second-to-last regular season game. Sullivan threw four touchdown passes and set up a fifth as the Tigers beat the Bulldogs 35-20. The Sullivan-to-Terry-Beasley combination was as strong as ever. Sullivan connected twice with Beasley for touchdowns of 31 and 70 yards. He hit Dick Schmalz for 15- and four-yard scores.

The long bomb to Beasley was the game's most important score. Auburn led 21-20 after Roger Mitchell blocked the extra point attempt after Georgia's third touchdown. On the first play after Georgia's kickoff, Sullivan connected to Beasley, who broke free from two defenders and streaked down the field for the score. Auburn iced the game on Georgia's next drive when Dave Beck picked off a pass from Georgia quarterback James Ray, who had replaced starter Andy Johnson. Sullivan finished with 248 yards passing, while Beasley had four catches for 130.

For Dooley, the game was one of his "most bitter losses ever." He later said, "Sullivan was a superman having a super day, and Terry Beasley is a boy wonder."

Sources

"Auburn wins thriller, 35-20: Passing of Sullivan good for four TDs." Birmingham News 13 Nov. 1971.

He definitely won the Heisman that game. Here is a little short description of the game.

The 1971 game came at a time when both teams looked nearly unbeatable and, were it not for a glut of undefeated teams atop the rankings, both could have contended for national championships.

Both squads were undefeated. Auburn was ranked sixth, Georgia seventh, and the showdown in Athens was anticipated nationally.

Georgia coach Vince Dooley, an Auburn alumnus, remembers his team as one of the best he had ever coached. The Bulldogs had an imposing defense led by Chip Wisdom, Chuck Heard, and Mixon Robinson. They allowed 25 points to Oregon State in the opener, but allowed only four touchdowns in the next eight games combined.

The night before the game, students met on Auburn for the traditional "Burn the Bulldogs" pep rally and bonfire. About 13 bulldogs, most made of crepe paper and chicken wire, were sacrificed to the fire. A few students got creative with the fake dogs, constructing them out of graham cracker and marshmallow, potatoes, or ice cream cones.

The rally set the right tone for senior quarterback Pat Sullivan's second-to-last regular season game. Sullivan threw four touchdown passes and set up a fifth as the Tigers beat the Bulldogs 35-20. The Sullivan-to-Terry-Beasley combination was as strong as ever. Sullivan connected twice with Beasley for touchdowns of 31 and 70 yards. He hit Dick Schmalz for 15- and four-yard scores.

The long bomb to Beasley was the game's most important score. Auburn led 21-20 after Roger Mitchell blocked the extra point attempt after Georgia's third touchdown. On the first play after Georgia's kickoff, Sullivan connected to Beasley, who broke free from two defenders and streaked down the field for the score. Auburn iced the game on Georgia's next drive when Dave Beck picked off a pass from Georgia quarterback James Ray, who had replaced starter Andy Johnson. Sullivan finished with 248 yards passing, while Beasley had four catches for 130.

For Dooley, the game was one of his "most bitter losses ever." He later said, "Sullivan was a superman having a super day, and Terry Beasley is a boy wonder."

Sources

"Auburn wins thriller, 35-20: Passing of Sullivan good for four TDs." Birmingham News 13 Nov. 1971.

Another great story and game recap, golf!!