OLDEST AE MEMBER

Darwin Holt was one Bad A&&!!!!  So, pops, you must have been one too in your day.   :dunno:   That was not his only incident like that.  I think Coach Bryant encouraged it with him. 

Nope, the comparison was because of our size.  And I have taken it, rather than give it out, with 7 broken noses, a broken jaw, and three missing teeth.  Those single-bar face masks just didn't do the job.  An elbow would easily fit between the bar and the top of the helmet, or underneath the bar on your shin.

Darwin Holt was one Bad A&&!!!!  So, pops, you must have been one too in your day.   :dunno:   That was not his only incident like that.  I think Coach Bryant encouraged it with him

I know for a fact he did. He admitted it one time when he was drunk.

Yes Pops, I sure do remember that incident. Unbelievable!!! Mr Holt better be glad his victim was not Bobby Hoppe or he wouldn't have lived to see another day. And anybody that knew Hoppe would have no trouble believing that. Those single bar face masks were a joke. I think the '57 team didn't even wear them. Well, maybe the RBs did. Can't remember but I don't think the linemen did. Different era! But no matter what era you want to talk about the Darwin Holt incident was despicable. They still talk about it over here in Georgia to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

See? Dementia is already setting in  :laugh:

Where? What? Who?  Golf, slammer where in hades are you guys when I need you?

I will never forget my 8 year old son's eyes when we crested the hill on Wire Road and saw Jordan-Hare Stadium on the horizon.  It was UGA weekend, a beautiful fall day, and it was his first real visit to Auburn.  He had been before, but was too young to absorb the atmosphere.  We drove from our home in Mobile, stopped at a KFC to get our tailgate food, and sang "Glory, glory, to ole Auburn" all the way.  He will never forget how I embarassed him:  We were on I-85 between Monkeytown and Gloryland and I had to take a leak(excitement), so I just pulled over and ran into the bushes!!  We tailgated on Wire across from the frat houses and walked to the stadium.  I don't know how, but I got seats about 15 rows up next to the old players tunnel, around a lot of Auburn bluebloods.  They all took my son under their wing and treated him like a King, shakers and all!!  We won that night, and my son got to lean over and shake Coach Dye's hand as he left the field.  Have you ever had a better feeling than to be in a crowd after an Auburn victory, inching toward the exits, and chanting; IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!?  Neither Nick, my middle son, or I , don't know how it gets any better.  That was 21 years ago. 

Sorry pops haven't been around much the last 5 days. Wife had emergency gall bladder surgery. Thankfully I was in Orlando with her. She's home now resting. It will be a few days before I can get back on AE full time. Hell I don't even know how the Braves or my Yankees are doing.

:laugh: Yeah my parents were wondering why I was going to a tailgate with a bunch of people on the internet.

Hopefully you can tell her the next game goes better. This one couldn't have gone worse on here

I will never forget my 8 year old son's eyes when we crested the hill on Wire Road and saw Jordan-Hare Stadium on the horizon.  It was UGA weekend, a beautiful fall day, and it was his first real visit to Auburn.  He had been before, but was too young to absorb the atmosphere.  We drove from our home in Mobile, stopped at a KFC to get our tailgate food, and sang "Glory, glory, to ole Auburn" all the way.  He will never forget how I embarassed him:  We were on I-85 between Monkeytown and Gloryland and I had to take a leak(excitement), so I just pulled over and ran into the bushes!!  We tailgated on Wire across from the frat houses and walked to the stadium.  I don't know how, but I got seats about 15 rows up next to the old players tunnel, around a lot of Auburn bluebloods.   They all took my son under their wing and treated him like a King, shakers and all!!  We won that night, and my son got to lean over and shake Coach Dye's hand as he left the field.  Have you ever had a better feeling than to be in a crowd after an Auburn victory, inching toward the exits, and chanting; IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!?  Neither Nick, my middle son, or I , don't know how it gets any better.  That was 21 years ago. 

seriously, after reading this, that made me even prouder to be an Auburn Tiger! THANKS for sharing, fellow Tiger!

Golf, I know you had told me that you couldn't make the Auburn getogether in Gainesville for tonights game but I had no idea that your wife was having major surgery. Hope she is doing well. My mother had that same surgery and it was no picnic. Here's to her speedy recovery. :thumbsup:  Get back here when you can. I had wondered where you were. Take care my friend and WDE and kick em in the butt Big Blue!!!

Golf, I know you had told me that you couldn't make the Auburn getogether in Gainesville for tonights game but I had no idea that your wife was having major surgery. Hope she is doing well. My mother had that same surgery and it was no picnic. Here's to her speedy recovery. :thumbsup:  Get back here when you can. I had wondered where you were. Take care my friend and WDE and kick em in the butt Big Blue!!!

I hope your wife is doing well, golf!!  Had no idea, but prayers to you both.

OK, golf, Mike P and others, lets get this out in the open.  First, age and birthdate(optional, if you're worried about identity theft), and favorite Auburn sports memory.  I'll start it off.  Age, 66. DOB- 11-04-43.  Many memories game-wise, but I believe my favorite was watching Shug trudge across the field to address the student body at an Iron Bowl pep rally.  If you sat about half-way up, you could look over the top of the stadium and see the team practicing.  There was something more intimate about Auburn football back then, since it could all come togeher at one place.  Shug would not even try to get us excited, but the man could utter a couple of words in that Selma drawl, and we would go crazy!! 

I am glad to know I am not the oldest, since I was accused of it recently!  I'm 54 7/26/56

Memories.....there are so many great times at Auburn games, both home and away. One I recently shared, I will repeat because to me it really describes the AU Family:

I brought my kids to every game possible since they were born. My oldest child's 1st game he was 10 months old, my 2nd child's 1st game he was 5 months old. Now I am lucky that my seats are on the 1st row of the upper deck and they could sit, stand, walk around in front of us without bothering anyone in front of them. 

A couple of years ago I was in line at the concession stand when a man tapped me on the shoulder and said I just want to let you know my wife and I sit several rows above you, and every year we look forward to seeing how much your kids have grown. Even though we dont know you or your kids names, we feel like they are ours because we have watched them grow up....AU Family!

(of course I wanted to ask if they would help pay their tuition now that they are both in school at Auburn!!!)

War Eagle!

Aupops2,

Well.................... On the recruting message board this morning, on the Blakely thread some gentleman was referred to this thread. I graduated not from Auburn University, but from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1952. Age 79, BOD 21 July 1931. I am a fellow Phi Kappa Tau. We first lived in an old school building about a block fron Tomers corner and moved into a "new" house on south Gay. I witnessed the Auburn vs Alabama rivalry renewal of football, Alabama 55 API 0, but had redemption the following year when API won 14-13. Ed Salem missed the extra point, and our Travis Tidwell ran wild.  It took all day to read this thread, and it was enjoyable.

Aupops2,

Well.................... On the recruting message board this morning, on the Blakely thread some gentleman was referred to this thread. I graduated not from Auburn University, but from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1952. Age 79, BOD 21 July 1931. I am a fellow Phi Kappa Tau. We first lived in an old school building about a block fron Tomers corner and moved into a "new" house on south Gay. I witnessed the Auburn vs Alabama rivalry renewal of football, Alabama 55 API 0, but had redemption the following year when API won 14-13. Ed Salem missed the extra point, and our Travis Tidwell ran wild.  It took all day to read this thread, and it was enjoyable.

Leader in the clubhouse!!  Congratulations!!  I'll PM you and maybe we can share some Alpha Lambda Chapter stuff.

Welcome aboard api52. :thumbsup: Looks like I have slipped to 3rd place but I am really not that enamored with holding the title.  ;D

One thing about being old is you have the memories of all those years and there isn't enough money on this earth to replace them. Post often !!  :we:

Guys, you know, I think this upcoming weekend could be a great one for us "seasoned" Tigers!!  I have a warm feeling for Clemson, grew up 45 miles North of the campus, love the Clemson people, but want to WIN THIS GAME!!  I've been to Clemson when Frank Howard was on the sidelines, but I've also been to Auburn when the great Shug Jordan was on the sidelines.  This weekend could be something very, very special!!  Your thoughts?