OLDEST AE MEMBER

On the Sullivan to Beasley 70 yr touchdown.  It was a 70 yard play but on about a 20 yard pass over the middle and Beasley out ran the entire Ga team.  It was a race but when Terry got to the GA 40 the race was over.  Touchdown Auburn.

pops look at my avatar you got your answer along with Roger trying to block the punt. Who block the extra point so the turds only scored 16 instead of 17

Roger Mitchell blocked the extra point if this hasn`t already been answered.

• Like 1

Somebody has got to be able to pull up McGeever blocking that FG!!!  I know I've seen it many times but wouldn't have a clue how to find it.  At one time, it was almost as remarkable is the "Punt-Bama-Punt" thing!!!

I was at the game and no one realized what was happening for several seconds. I believe we were playing Kentucky and lost 14-12. Could be wrong on some of that though.

FLORIDA RANKED #3 COMES TO AU IN TELEVISED GAME.  WILD BILL CODY INTERCEPTS STEVE SPURRER SEVERAL TIMES.  UPSET!

Yeah, eagle 63, I recounted my experience at that game a few posts back.  I would guess that "63" means you were there then.  So was I.  Send me a PM and tell me about yourself.

Somebody has got to be able to pull up McGeever blocking that FG!!!  I know I've seen it many times but wouldn't have a clue how to find it.  At one time, it was almost as remarkable is the "Punt-Bama-Punt" thing!!!

I was at the game and no one realized what was happening for several seconds. I believe we were playing Kentucky and lost 14-12. Could be wrong on some of that though.

MODS, can anybody help us pull this up.  It was one of the most remarkable plays I've ever seen.  Jonny McGeever is a old friend, but I have asked him if he has anything, and he doesn't.  He got so tired of every one asking him about it, he hid everything(he still has it, though).  DJ, ST, c'mon guys!!

MODS, can anybody help us pull this up.  It was one of the most remarkable plays I've ever seen.  Jonny McGeever is a old friend, but I have asked him if he has anything, and he doesn't.  He got so tired of every one asking him about it, he hid everything(he still has it, though).  DJ, ST, c'mon guys!!

I've tried pops but no luck. Maybe someone more knowledge of computers then me can. I did find an article about it.

I've tried pops but no luck. Maybe someone more knowledge of computers then me can. I did find an article about it.

Golf, there's a video of "Punt, Bama, Punt", so there has got to be something on this.  I've seen it, but I can't remember if Johnny had it or not.

If you guys can give me a little bit more information I'd be glad to see what I can dig up.

Thanks fish, I've asked DJ to work on it, but it was 1960-63, Johnny McGeever blocked a FG attempt, it lodged between his forearm and thigh pad, never hit the ground, and he returned it for a TD.  I think it was against Kentucky, but not sure.

If you guys can give me a little bit more information I'd be glad to see what I can dig up.

Thanks fish, I've asked DJ to work on it, but it was 1960-63, Johnny McGeever blocked a FG attempt, it lodged between his forearm and thigh pad, never hit the ground, and he returned it for a TD.  I think it was against Kentucky, but not sure.

It was against Ky. and I believe it was 63

OK, guys, time for a new story; I've been holding out on this one for obvious reasons, but it is all true.  During my freshman year, I pledged, along with my best high school friend, to Phi Kappa Tau fraternity.  At the time, it was the most modern house on campus, located next to the Heart of Auburn Motel ( the alumni center is now there).  Pledges were asked to do all the things that you saw in "Animal House".  Two things: "Have you ever swallowed an oyster, only to have it pulled back up on a string?  Second, have you ever stood naked, had a string tied around your manhood, the other end tied to a 50# concrete block, and asked to stand on a chair,blindfolded?  The string was only so long, and you were asked to show your love of your fraternity by dropping the block while standing on the chair.(Of course, the string was cut while you stood in the chair)  I was "fortunate" enough to get a room at the house on College Street , beginning Spring Quarter (March 15, still cold at night).  One night, I was abducted by the brothers from my bed, and taken to Tuskegee, and tied naked, with my butt pressed to the very cold marble statue of George Washingon Carver.I was tied there for at least 30 minutes, with cars coming by pointing and laughing(remember George in Seinfeld saying "I was at the pool"!!!).  The Tuskegee police came, untied me, wrapped me in a blanket, and drove me: NO, not to Auburn, but to the city limits of Tuskegee, where they dropped me, advising me they couldn't take me any further. (I don't believe that to this day).  I hitch-hiked the way to Auburn, got home about 4AM

OK, guys, time for a new story; I've been holding out on this one for obvious reasons, but it is all true.  During my freshman year, I pledged, along with my best high school friend, to Phi Kappa Tau fraternity.  At the time, it was the most modern house on campus, located next to the Heart of Auburn Motel ( the alumni center is now there).  Pledges were asked to do all the things that you saw in "Animal House".  Two things: "Have you ever swallowed an oyster, only to have it pulled back up on a string?  Second, have you ever stood naked, had a string tied around your manhood, the other end tied to a 50# concrete block, and asked to stand on a chair,blindfolded?  The string was only so long, and you were asked to show your love of your fraternity by dropping the block while standing on the chair.(Of course, the string was cut while you stood in the chair)  I was "fortunate" enough to get a room at the house on College Street , beginning Spring Quarter (March 15, still cold at night).  One night, I was abducted by the brothers from my bed, and taken to Tuskegee, and tied naked, with my butt pressed to the very cold marble statue of George Washingon Carver.I was tied there for at least 30 minutes, with cars coming by pointing and laughing(remember George in Seinfeld saying "I was at the pool"!!!).  The Tuskegee police came, untied me, wrapped me in a blanket, and drove me: NO, not to Auburn, but to the city limits of Tuskegee, where they dropped me, advising me they couldn't take me any further. (I don't believe that to this day).  I hitch-hiked the way to Auburn, got home about 4AM

Were you still naked?  :-X

OK, guys, time for a new story; I've been holding out on this one for obvious reasons, but it is all true.  During my freshman year, I pledged, along with my best high school friend, to Phi Kappa Tau fraternity.  At the time, it was the most modern house on campus, located next to the Heart of Auburn Motel ( the alumni center is now there).  Pledges were asked to do all the things that you saw in "Animal House".  Two things: "Have you ever swallowed an oyster, only to have it pulled back up on a string?  Second, have you ever stood naked, had a string tied around your manhood, the other end tied to a 50# concrete block, and asked to stand on a chair,blindfolded?  The string was only so long, and you were asked to show your love of your fraternity by dropping the block while standing on the chair.(Of course, the string was cut while you stood in the chair)  I was "fortunate" enough to get a room at the house on College Street , beginning Spring Quarter (March 15, still cold at night).  One night, I was abducted by the brothers from my bed, and taken to Tuskegee, and tied naked, with my butt pressed to the very cold marble statue of George Washingon Carver.I was tied there for at least 30 minutes, with cars coming by pointing and laughing(remember George in Seinfeld saying "I was at the pool"!!!).  The Tuskegee police came, untied me, wrapped me in a blanket, and drove me: NO, not to Auburn, but to the city limits of Tuskegee, where they dropped me, advising me they couldn't take me any further. (I don't believe that to this day).  I hitch-hiked the way to Auburn, got home about 4AM

Were you still naked?  :-X

Nope, had the blanket!!  I rode to campus in the back of a pick-up, sitting on a spare tire!!  So, yes, except for the blanket, I was naked~~

It was against Ky. and I believe it was 63

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do

Sorry guys but I can't seem to find anything at all on him. Hopefully dj can find something. I'd love to see it

Thanks, fish.  I can't seem to find anything either.  But I know it happened and is out there somewhere.

I'm up late with my granddaughter, who has a cold.  My wife gave me a reprieve, so I'll give you one more, and I promise, the last.  In the 1960's, the Auburn ladies lived in dorms.  The sororities, Phi Mu, Tri Delt, etc,. all had their bases within the dorms(they hated it). When you went to pick up your date, you were required to  call her down to the desk(much like a hotel), where she would sign out.  When you returned, she would go back and sign back in.  If you had a blind date ( Helen Keller Hall was te best place to get a blind date), the same would apply.  There were curfews of like 10PM on school nites and 11PM on weekends. Yes, there was(is) a womans dorm named after Hellen Keller!  If it became rather late on Saturday night, and you didn't have a date, you could always call the dorm and the young lady that answered would be happy to make your acquaintance!   My dear lord, how things have changed!!  BTW, ask any of the other seasoned members of this site if this isn't accurate.  Gotta go, baby's crying!!

Pops, I was in a sorority in the mid 80's and at that time, boys were still not allowed up in the dorm rooms.  The same procedure was in place when I was there... boy comes and calls on phone at front desk for girl, girl signs out, and signs back in.  There was also a curfew, though I don't remember what time.  Maybe 11:00?  I don't recall Helen Keller being the blind date dorm!  I was in Graves (Dorm F) and our sorority chapter room was still in the basement in the 80's.  I don't know if they are still there or not.

I'm up late with my granddaughter, who has a cold.  My wife gave me a reprieve, so I'll give you one more, and I promise, the last.  In the 1960's, the Auburn ladies lived in dorms.  The sororities, Phi Mu, Tri Delt, etc,. all had their bases within the dorms(they hated it). When you went to pick up your date, you were required to  call her down to the desk(much like a hotel), where she would sign out.  When you returned, she would go back and sign back in.  If you had a blind date ( Helen Keller Hall was te best place to get a blind date), the same would apply.  There were curfews of like 10PM on school nites and 11PM on weekends. Yes, there was(is) a womans dorm named after Hellen Keller!  If it became rather late on Saturday night, and you didn't have a date, you could always call the dorm and the young lady that answered would be happy to make your acquaintance!   My dear lord, how things have changed!!  BTW, ask any of the other seasoned members of this site if this isn't accurate.  Gotta go, baby's crying!!

Pops, I was in a sorority in the mid 80's and at that time, boys were still not allowed up in the dorm rooms.  The same procedure was in place when I was there... boy comes and calls on phone at front desk for girl, girl signs out, and signs back in.  There was also a curfew, though I don't remember what time.  Maybe 11:00?  I don't recall Helen Keller being the blind date dorm!  I was in Graves (Dorm F) and our sorority chapter room was still in the basement in the 80's.  I don't know if they are still there or not.

Thanks for sharing Paige.

Look in the Big Days in The Past section about a third of the way down.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103005aab.html

There is not alot of info out there on the play in particular.

Thanks, now we know it was 1961.  I thought it was 1962.

Gonna bring up another historical moment in SEC football, which does not involve Auburn directly.  How many of you recall the Darwin Holt-Chick Graning moment?  For you younger guys, and I KNOW there's video of this because I have seen it too many times,  UAT linebacker Holt (5'10", 185#) hit All-American Georgia Tech RB, Graning, at least 5 yards out of bounds, breaking his jaw and starting a fight between UAT and Ga. Tech.  I was once referred to as Auburn's answer to Holt, because at the time I was 5'11, 185#.  Now , I am 5'9", 235#.  Yes, you do get shorter as you age, in a lot of ways!! 

Here is an excerpt from Bobby Dodds book about the "Darwin Holt-Chick Graning moment"

This description is from the book "Dodds Luck"

All hell broke out in the fourth quarter against Alabama in Legion Field the next week. During the fourth quarter, Tech punted to the Tide’s Billy Richardson. Richardson signaled for a fair catch and caught the ball.

Chick Graning, of Tech, was near the sidelines covering against a possible run up the sideline . Graning relaxed after Richardson made the fair-catch.

Darwin Holt of Alabama kept coming and drove his elbow up under Graning’s face mask and trotted off the field. Graning lay unconscious on the field, his playing days over.

The damage was fracture of the facial bones, five missing front teeth and the remainder of the front teeth broken, fracture of the nasal bone, fracture of the right maxillary sinus and sinus filled with blood, fracture of the bone beneath the right eye, cerebral concussion, and possible fracture of the base of the skull.

Films of the game showed it was deliberate. There had been other incidences with Holt in other games of excessive and unnecessary roughness. Holt had also bitten Billy Williamson on the leg in the same game.

Dodd wanted Bryant to suspend Holt for several games to insure he would learn to play the game without intentionally trying to maim other players. Bryant refused and Dodd was livid over the incident and Bryant’s unwillingness to correct the situation.

Dodd became angry with Bryant, and it was years before the two buried the hatchet regarding the incident. Dodd never could reconcile himself to accept Bryant’s standard of coaching his players.

Dodd has always insisted the Holt-Graning incident had nothing to do with the termination of the series between Alabama and Tech. Dodd said the decision was made prior to that game. He had already informed the Bear of the termination of the series.

Here is an excerpt from Bobby Dodds book about the "Darwin Holt-Chick Graning moment"

This description is from the book "Dodds Luck"

All hell broke out in the fourth quarter against Alabama in Legion Field the next week. During the fourth quarter, Tech punted to the Tide’s Billy Richardson. Richardson signaled for a fair catch and caught the ball.

Chick Graning, of Tech, was near the sidelines covering against a possible run up the sideline . Graning relaxed after Richardson made the fair-catch.

Darwin Holt of Alabama kept coming and drove his elbow up under Graning’s face mask and trotted off the field. Graning lay unconscious on the field, his playing days over.

The damage was fracture of the facial bones, five missing front teeth and the remainder of the front teeth broken, fracture of the nasal bone, fracture of the right maxillary sinus and sinus filled with blood, fracture of the bone beneath the right eye, cerebral concussion, and possible fracture of the base of the skull.

Films of the game showed it was deliberate. There had been other incidences with Holt in other games of excessive and unnecessary roughness. Holt had also bitten Billy Williamson on the leg in the same game.

Dodd wanted Bryant to suspend Holt for several games to insure he would learn to play the game without intentionally trying to maim other players. Bryant refused and Dodd was livid over the incident and Bryant’s unwillingness to correct the situation.

Dodd became angry with Bryant, and it was years before the two buried the hatchet regarding the incident. Dodd never could reconcile himself to accept Bryant’s standard of coaching his players.

Dodd has always insisted the Holt-Graning incident had nothing to do with the termination of the series between Alabama and Tech. Dodd said the decision was made prior to that game. He had already informed the Bear of the termination of the series.

Dang, that was one mean hit!!

Darwin Holt was one Bad A&&!!!!  So, pops, you must have been one too in your day.   :dunno:   That was not his only incident like that.  I think Coach Bryant encouraged it with him.