OLDEST AE MEMBER

This could be the start of another era in Auburn football. When I attended API 1948-1952, football was at a low point, but spirits were still high on campus. Earl Brown was released as head coach after 3 full seasons when he won only a total of 3 games. He left after the 1950 season after going 0-10, including a 55-0 drubbing in the renewal of Alabama varsity competition after a generation.

Coach Shug Jordan took the head coach job in the summer after spring practice. Shug won the first 4 games that year. The 4th game was in New Orleans against Tulane. I hitch hiked to the game, and watched in awe at the celebration afterwards on Bourbon Sreet. People bought a "hurricane" at Pat O'Brians and walked the street refilling the glass. Shug finished the year with a 5-5 record, including a 14-13 win at Legion field over Alabama.

It took a few years to rebuild, but Shug won our National Championship in 1957. Shug continued as our head coach for 25 great years.

Coach Chizik isn't starting at as low a level of Auburn football as Shug did, but I think he can bring us a national championship within 6 years as well. :) :) :)

This is my fraternity brother talking here!!  79 years old and still bringing it!!  C'mon guys,  you got to love it!!  BTW, this thread is open to all you youngins' ( in your 40s and 50s!!).  Did you notice how we revived Jimmy Sidle last week?  Credit to kevin67 for starting it.

Great story api52. Someone hitch hiking all the way to New Orleans from Auburn but you could do that back then. My brother hitch hiked from Auburn to Russellville, Al one time back in 1963.

That's a great story api! I'm not quite as far up there as you guys  ;D but I love hearing stories about Shug. I wish I could've seen some of his teams play

Fish you may have already seen this one. Short film 8-1/2 minute documentary was created with

archival footage from that amazing 1972 Auburn Season.

http://www.theamazinsmovie.com/doc.html

Golf, that was AUsome!!!! I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing

That was my senior year fish. Everyone predicted we would loss alot of games since Pat and Terry had graduated. This was one of my all time favorite teams at Auburn. We could have beaten LSU that year but the team was really beat up from playing so many tough teams before the LSU game. We came so close to a perfect season. God Shug was great, as I have mention many times I am proud to say he was one of my farternity brothers. Theta Chi for live.

I've been bless fish. I've had many great moments at Auburn. Plus I'm lucky as hell I never went to jail. If you've read all the storys in this thread I'm sure you would agree with me about me going to jail. Came close but thank goodness for gooding women.

This is my fraternity brother talking here!!  79 years old and still bringing it!!  C'mon guys,  you got to love it!!  BTW, this thread is open to all you youngins' ( in your 40s and 50s!!).  Did you notice how we revived Jimmy Sidle last week?  Credit to kevin67 for starting it.

AUpops thanks  ;D I could literally read these posts all day.

I was raised by parents born in the late 20's and early 30's. My parents were from the old school and would talk about times had changed. As a teen in 1983, most went over my head. As a soon to be 43 yr old in 2010, if they were alive today, I would tell them just how right they were in so many ways, about so many things.

I would love to have a time machine and go back and visit....

I guess I just have to jump in here. api52 I have a hitchhiking story to see the Tigers play. It was 1969 and we were playing LSU in Baton Rouge for the game. Buddy McClinton was our All-American safety that year. A friend of mine and I flew our A-4s into England Air Force Base with the intention of renting a car to drive to Baton Rouge. There wasn't a car to be had. We wound up hitchhiking to Baton Rouge. There we were, two Marine officers with our thumbs out trying to get to the game. An old WWII vet picked us up in his Cadillac and took us all the way to the stadium. What a guy!!

On the first play of the game Tommy Casanova handed off to the halfback (thats what they were called in those days) and he threw the half-back option to a wide receiver that took it to the house. Buddy McClinton bit on the play like a big mouth bass. Later with the score 14-7 we scored. MISSED THE EXTRA POINT AND LOST 14-13. The story continues but I won't bore people with it. It was an excursion I will take to the grave.

Thank you golf.

I was driving to Huntsville with the car radio on, and was excited when the first punt was blocked. When the second punt was blocked, I almost ran off the road.

;D ;D ;D

Tommy Casanova  wow that's a name I remember from the pass. Plus I remember that play as well. Was Gardner Jett our placekicker back then. I'm not sure.

I think you are right golf. Up until that time he didn't miss. I guess that is why that loss hurt so much. Things just went down hill from there for me and my wingman.  Long story.

That's a great story api! I'm not quite as far up there as you guys  ;D but I love hearing stories about Shug. I wish I could've seen some of his teams play

Fish you may have already seen this one. Short film 8-1/2 minute documentary was created with

archival footage from that amazing 1972 Auburn Season.

http://www.theamazinsmovie.com/doc.html

Thank you so much for posting!!  ;D

I survived better than my three sons, daughter, and daughter-in-law!!  They're a lot like many on this board during the game, but, hey, let's face it, being an Auburn fan takes a lot of guts!!  I have tried to raise them to be "half-full" types, but when it comes to AU football, well, last night was just another for the ages.  It really entertains me to read the posts DURING the game versus AFTER the game. Kids, let me just tell you, this is nothing new and something you'll probably have to live with forever.  I was thinking last night about a game back in the late "60s, we lost to Ga. Tech in a game they shouldn't have even been in.  An end by the name of Ted Fortier for Tech caught three straight posts against a very good friend of mine, Mickey Sutton.  Everyone in Cliff Hare Stadium was all over Shug, about letting them run that post play after play.  Now the stadium is named after him!!  Times change, but Auburn fans will always be Auburn fans!!

I saw a post from a guy who said he couldn't read the posts because of his eyes.  We need this guy to post here.  Find him.  Also, what do you think about starting"Old AE Member Polls"?  These kids are stupid, and very, very emotional.  I Don't know how to start one , but slammer, golf?  HELP!!

I saw a post from a guy who said he couldn't read the posts because of his eyes.  We need this guy to post here.  Find him.  Also, what do you think about starting"Old AE Member Polls"?  These kids are stupid, and very, very emotional.   I Don't know how to start one , but slammer, golf?  HELP!!

That was chizwhiz I believe. I will sent him a pm

I saw a post from a guy who said he couldn't read the posts because of his eyes.  We need this guy to post here.  Find him.  Also, what do you think about starting"Old AE Member Polls"?  These kids are stupid, and very, very emotional.   I Don't know how to start one , but slammer, golf?  HELP!!

That was chizwhiz I believe. I will sent him a pm

thanks, golf, think you're right