OLDEST AE MEMBER

Not sure if I ever told the story about a recruiting trip we were on and had Tom Banks and Miles Jones as our player guides. Miles Jones not much of a player but he could line up the coeds

I used to know Tom pretty well during his NFL days, Stallion days and afterwards.  We played softball together for years. 

Not sure if I ever told the story about a recruiting trip we were on and had Tom Banks and Miles Jones as our player guides. Miles Jones not much of a player but he could line up the coeds

I used to know Tom pretty well during his NFL days, Stallion days and afterwards.  We played softball together for years. 

lets just say he could scare the living daylights out of 17 year olds

Guys, I apologize for not refreshing this thread earlier, but time restraints have me, well, you know!!  I think there are several good reasons to bump this, though, because it's obvious that we older members have been joined by several newer "seasoned" posters, and they probably didn't know about the thread.  If you are one of these, I recommend you browse through the past posts;  there are some great stories (most reported to be true), that go waaay back.  My middle son, an alumnus who hadn't been on campus for two or three years, took his fiancee to her first Auburn game this past weekend.  BTW, apparently the University Inn has gone way down since my college days!!  But Nick had to call me and say:  "Dad, you won't believe this campus!!"  He said the growth, and the beauty of the growth, was unbelieveable.  His fiancee is now an Auburn Tiger, so I told him I can now officially welcome her into the family.  What do you guys think has happened to our younger alumni and fans, the ones that post such caustic, inflammatory, remarks on this site?  Has this world become so bad on the outside that they cannot put a football game, a few bad plays, and, yes, a few bad coaching decisions, in perspective?  Kids (anyone under 50), look around you;  look at one of the most awesome campuses in this country, look at the tradition, and for God's sake, stop and smell the roses.  If Bigbird, around4ever, or augolf are reading this, I have an idea:  let's start a "Donation Post Account", with you guys being the judge and jury.  If a post goes over the top, assign a $ value to it, it then goes into the member account, when the account gets to $25, the member has to donate or be banned.  Now that's putting your money where your mouth is!! (This idea probably has holes in it, but you get my drift.  I guess I sorta understand these younger members attitutes, because they don't have the memories we have: Wreck Tech parade, panty raids, Kopper Kettle, the Green House, Magnolia Dorms, Dorms I thru XII, War Eagle Supper Club, Shug Jordan, Pat Dye, Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, Terry Beasley, Jimmy Sidle, Tucker Frederickson, and on and on.  War Eagle!!  Also, on my son's visit ( and Nick has been following AU football for most of his 30 years), they had lower bowl, 50 yard line seats.  Nick said there was a distinguished gentlemen sitting just in front of them that everyone knew and he seemed to be somebody.  He apparently was the QB on the 1957 NCAA Championship team, but didn't remember his name.  I said, Nick, you just met Dr. Lloyd Nix!!  He said, Dad, how did you know?  I answered, if you told him who you were, he would have given you a few stories about his old Dad!!

Guys, I apologize for not refreshing this thread earlier, but time restraints have me, well, you know!!  I think there are several good reasons to bump this, though, because it's obvious that we older members have been joined by several newer "seasoned" posters, and they probably didn't know about the thread.  If you are one of these, I recommend you browse through the past posts;  there are some great stories (most reported to be true), that go waaay back.  My middle son, an alumnus who hadn't been on campus for two or three years, took his fiancee to her first Auburn game this past weekend.  BTW, apparently the University Inn has gone way down since my college days!!  But Nick had to call me and say:  "Dad, you won't believe this campus!!"  He said the growth, and the beauty of the growth, was unbelieveable.  His fiancee is now an Auburn Tiger, so I told him I can now officially welcome her into the family.  What do you guys think has happened to our younger alumni and fans, the ones that post such caustic, inflammatory, remarks on this site?  Has this world become so bad on the outside that they cannot put a football game, a few bad plays, and, yes, a few bad coaching decisions, in perspective?  Kids (anyone under 50), look around you;  look at one of the most awesome campuses in this country, look at the tradition, and for God's sake, stop and smell the roses.  If Bigbird, around4ever, or augolf are reading this, I have an idea:  let's start a "Donation Post Account", with you guys being the judge and jury.  If a post goes over the top, assign a $ value to it, it then goes into the member account, when the account gets to $25, the member has to donate or be banned.  Now that's putting your money where your mouth is!! (This idea probably has holes in it, but you get my drift.  I guess I sorta understand these younger members attitutes, because they don't have the memories we have: Wreck Tech parade, panty raids, Kopper Kettle, the Green House, Magnolia Dorms, Dorms I thru XII, War Eagle Supper Club, Shug Jordan, Pat Dye, Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, Terry Beasley, Jimmy Sidle, Tucker Frederickson, and on and on.  War Eagle!!  Also, on my son's visit ( and Nick has been following AU football for most of his 30 years), they had lower bowl, 50 yard line seats.  Nick said there was a distinguished gentlemen sitting just in front of them that everyone knew and he seemed to be somebody.  He apparently was the QB on the 1957 NCAA Championship team, but didn't remember his name.  I said, Nick, you just met Dr. Lloyd Nix!!  He said, Dad, how did you know?  I answered, if you told him who you were, he would have given you a few stories about his old Dad!!

I can promise a 95% accuracy rate I think. j/k their all true.... remember them like they happen yesterday

It makes me realize how old I really am but I remember all of that and a few others. Thanks for the reminder.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess this morning is a good time to refresh this thread and to talk about "perspective".  For us old-timers, this Iron Bowl hangover (not alcoholic induced) is not new, nor is it anything I'll ever get used to.  But, to put thing in the proper perspective, the season was about what I expected; the improvement, or lack thereof, was not what I expected; but the future looks bright if a few pieces fall into place.  First, some coaching changes will have to be made, and they will be made.  We may lose one, maybe two, coaches that we don't want to lose. Second, the remaining 9 or 10 slots in this recruiting class need to be filled with our positions-of-need kids, many of which were at the game last night. It remains to be seen what effect the game last night will have on our chances with these key pieces to the puzzle, but JJ and Coach Chizik need to move swiftly and boldly in making the necessary coaching moves.  I cannot give you details, because I don't have them at this time.  But when I do, you will know.  When I read the "doomsday" threads today, I have to think back to when I was younger, and I was no different.  I remember thinking to myself: "We'll never beat them again."  I guarantee you that that thought is running through many young minds this morning.  As we go forward to NSD, let's watch as these recruiting masterminds sign up 8 or 9 kids who will fill the trenches on both sides of the ball; let's not worry about the DGBs or Diggs of the world (sure we'd love to have them), but if you see the "big uglies" come our way, the final pieces will be put into place for a very bright future.  But that won't happen until the coaching situation is stabilized, and that must and should happen quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread guys. I love the stories. I only made it a few pages in. But, will come back later. For full disclosure, I'm 42 born 6/19/1969. I went to Auburn in 87.

My grand parents moved to Auburn in 1938 from Tallassee. My Grand dad was a barber but would flourish in Auburn becoming city councilman, a police officer and a long time hotel man in Auburn.

Great thread guys. I love the stories. I only made it a few pages in. But, will come back later. For full disclosure, I'm 42 born 6/19/1969. I went to Auburn in 87.

My grand parents moved to Auburn in 1938 from Tallassee. My Grand dad was a barber but would flourish in Auburn becoming city councilman, a police officer and a long time hotel man in Auburn.

hope you enjoy reading Budapesttiger

Haven't read all the posts, so don't know if anyone tops me or my buddy, Big Bob, who graduated in 1958.  I have another birthday coming up in March, I'll be 76.

My best memory, other than beating Alabama, was the time we 'Recked Tech, Beat the Hell out of Georgia Tech'

First time in years, may be ever.  Atlanta was never the same intimidating place.  The train ride back to Auburn was really wild, for those days.

I remember Jimmie Ricketts, Jerry Elliot, Prestley (can't recall his first name), and Red Phillips.  Not all were headliners, but every player laid it on the line in every game.

My worst memory was a Bama game in B'ham when I was in high school.  Bama's card section included a very large part of the center of their side of the field.  The sequence went like this:

(in orange and blue)  AU    . .(flip) . .  BU  . .(flip) . .  (in crimson and white)  PU

Never forgave them for that!

WDE!!!

Haven't read all the posts, so don't know if anyone tops me or my buddy, Big Bob, who graduated in 1958.  I have another birthday coming up in March, I'll be 76.

My best memory, other than beating Alabama, was the time we 'Recked Tech, Beat the Hell out of Georgia Tech'

First time in years, may be ever.  Atlanta was never the same intimidating place.  The train ride back to Auburn was really wild, for those days.

I remember Jimmie Ricketts, Jerry Elliot, Prestley (can't recall his first name), and Red Phillips.  Not all were headliners, but every player laid it on the line in every game.

My worst memory was a Bama game in B'ham when I was in high school.  Bama's card section included a very large part of the center of their side of the field.  The sequence went like this:

(in orange and blue)  AU    . .(flip) . .   BU   . .(flip) . .  (in crimson and white)  PU

Never forgave them for that!

WDE!!!

A good response, if we used cards still, would be:

...(flip)  A...(flip)  DUMB A !

Thanks for your post aueagle !

WDE !!! 

I'm not the oldest AE member (born 1/26/57), but I've enjoyed reading this thread.  Since someone many pages back asked about the Kopper Kettle explosion and today is the 34th anniversary of that event, I'll share my memories of that day.

It was a cold Sunday morning, just a bit after 8:00, when a loud blast woke me up. "What was that?"  My roommate sleepily replied, "thunder."  (Ha!) Later that day we tried to go through downtown on our way  to get something for lunch.  The streets were closed off and there were fire trucks and police cars everywhere. We thought there had been a fire at one of the businesses. When we got to Shoney's (out on Opelika Rd, some of you will recall), we heard people talking about the explosion.  Then we realized what had happened.

After lunch we walked downtown to see the devastation.  Downtown looked like a war zone. Debris littered the streets and hung in the trees. Broken glass from windows of businesses and the methodist church was everywhere. Mannequins from shops across from the Kettle hung from windows in macabre fashion. The Kettle was just gone!

It is a miracle that no one was seriously injured.  Had the explosion occurred on a weekday, I'm sure there would have been fatalities.  Had it occurred even a couple of hours later, the church would have been full of people.  There was a law office behind the Kettle and the lawyer was in the habit of working a few hours on Sunday morning, but he was not there that day. There was also a small apartment either over the Kettle or the law office, but the student who rented it was away for the weekend.  Someone had actually smelled gas and called the gas company, but when a guy came out to check on it , he  thought the smell was coming from another direction and had walked off to see.  We were very, very lucky that day.

That day stands out as one memory of my college days I'll never forget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm 65. Best day of my life - 10/1/65, at Auburn, met her on a blind date (and married her three years later), still going strong. Second best day of my life - 3/1/09, retired to live the rest of my days in Auburn, still going strong. War Eagle and Praise the Lord. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a "bump" to a thread over on AE that we "seasoned" members had a lot of fun with, so I thought there would be some other senior members on the AUFamily side that had memories and/or stories to share. If you have time, read some of these posts and share your experience. War Eagle!! BTW, from where I sit, there is no AE/AUF sides anymore; I'm loving this site!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am 79 (Sep. '33). I entered API in the summer quarter of 1953 - fresh out of Lanier High in Montgomery. About the same time Shug was hired. I pledged Phi Kappa Tou - the house on College St was fresh too - brand new. After a couple of years out for the Army, I went back to API and graduated in December 1957. You all know what happened in Dec 1957!!.

I'll be back with more stories.

I am 79 (Sep. '33). I entered API in the summer quarter of 1953 - fresh out of Lanier High in Montgomery. About the same time Shug was hired. I pledged Phi Kappa Tou - the house on College St was fresh too - brand new. After a couple of years out for the Army, I went back to API and graduated in December 1957. You all know what happened in Dec 1957!!.

I'll be back with more stories.

Hey man!! Just sent you a pm; check your messages.