Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton - Why Not?

WarEagle231

What's stopping Cam from being as productive as Tebow or Young?

After watching video of all three of these QBs run..I think Cam is as good of a runner as either Tebow or Young.

As far as passing goes...neither Tebow nor Young have great passing technique.  Both of them were able to put up great passing numbers because of the system they were in and the fact that teams focused on stopping the QBs from running.

I am not trying to put undue pressure on Cam but when it comes to him putting up big numbers I have to ask the question why not? In fact Auburn will probably run more offensive plays this year than Texas or Florida ran with Tebow or Young.  That gives Cam an advantage...

High scoring offensive system: Check

Prolific Running/Evading Skills:  Check

Ability to Plow over Guys: Check

Can Make all the throws: Check

Solid Offensive Line: Check

Great supporting cast of RBs & WRs: Check

Huge season in the future for Cam: Check

War Eagle!

It's possible, but I'm not gonna group him with those greats until he does it on the field. Keep in mind those guys you mentioned combined for 3 titles and 4 heisman ceremonies. If Cam can do half that much, I'd be very pleased  ;D

It's possible, but I'm not gonna group him with those greats until he does it on the field. Keep in mind those guys you mentioned combined for 3 titles and 4 heisman ceremonies. If Cam can do half that much, I'd be very pleased  ;D

1 1/2 titles?  I'm intrigued.

USC had 1 1/2 titles in 03 and 04  ;)

Amen!

Based on comments from media day, I am going to compare Cam to a very good NFL QB, one who has proven more on the NFL playing field than either Tebow or Young.  He is soft spoken, probably to a fault, and only with experience has become a steady player in the NFL.  This will be his breakout year, and my Fantasy picks will reflect that.  Also, our premiere 2010 signee so far, KF, has been compared to this great QB;  Jason Campbell. Expect Cam to start off slowly, small signs of brilliance in the Arky State, early struggles against MSU, a little better against Clemson and SC but still struggling,and then solid QBing thru the next three or four games, and then breakout for the big boys at the end of the season.

well if he goes to two heisman ceremonies doesn't he belong in the discussion with them  :tease:

If you are still a doubter answer the follow questions for me:

Question 1:  Is Cam as good of a rusher as Tebow and/or Young?

Questoin 2: Does Cam have a supporting cast that is as good  or better than  Tebow and Young had?

Question 3: Does Cam play in an offense that is as QB friendly for putting up huge numbers?

Question 4: Does Cam have the same or better arm strength as Tebow or Young?

I believe the answer is all of these questions is YES.  Nobody knows for sure if Cam has the mental makeup, awareness and accuracy to perform as well as Young and Tebow.  But, I believe he does.

Guest In the Village

In this type of situation you would need to round up to a whole number, making it two championships and two heisman ceremonies.

Questoin 2: Does Cam have a supporting cast that is as good  or better than  Tebow and Young had?

Question 3: Does Cam play in an offense that is as QB friendly for putting up huge numbers?

I believe the answer is all of these questions is YES.  Nobody knows for sure if Cam has the mental makeup, awareness and accuracy to perform as well as Young and Tebow.  But, I believe he does.

#2 & #3 possibly...

#1 & #4 = we really won't know until Cam has been in SEC competition as a starter...

I hope he lights it up...if he does = a special year, hopefully 2 years coming up...

He looks like good in a uniform that's for sure. We'll just have to see how he does out there on the field. Here's hoping though!

the only thing that concerns me about cam is accuracy. tom luginbill mentioned that auburn has other qbs that were more accurate at the practices he attended. so he better be atheletic. but i hope he is not too far behind the others with accuracy.

The primary responsibility of the QB driving the 'Gus Bus' is to make good decisions with the football.  If Cameron makes good decisions we will have a good, potentially great season.  We do not need a QB that can throw a football through a brick wall - we need one that makes good decisions, and throws all of the passes to prevent a defense from stuffing the box.  DWWD!

The primary responsibility of the QB driving the 'Gus Bus' is to make good decisions with the football.  If Cameron makes good decisions we will have a good, potentially great season.  We do not need a QB that can throw a football through a brick wall - we need one that makes good decisions, and throws all of the passes to prevent a defense from stuffing the box.  DWWD!

I totally agree Ricky...This is my biggest concern because we simply don't know how well Cam makes decisions. He did well in High school and JUCO but this is an entirely different level.  Good news is that everything I hear about Cam is that he is working very hard to learn the system. I hope his hard work pays off.

the only thing that concerns me about cam is accuracy. tom luginbill mentioned that auburn has other qbs that were more accurate at the practices he attended. so he better be atheletic. but i hope he is not too far behind the others with accuracy.

From what little I saw of him in A-Day his accuracy in goal line situations is what's going to concern me the most.  It appeared he has a tendency to overthrow his receiver which is typical of a strong armed QB but not confidence inspiring for getting six when inside the 10 yard line.

#2 & #3 possibly...

#1 & #4 = we really won't know until Cam has been in SEC competition as a starter...

I hope he lights it up...if he does = a special year, hopefully 2 years coming up...

I'm going to say he has every bit as strong an arm as VY and stronger than Tebow.  I don't need to see him in SEC competition to know he can throw the football a very long way.

Will he throw too quickly, will he run instead of looking for backup receivers, will he react to quickly or too late for blitzes................??  I've said that about every new AND experienced QB.  At least one thing with this offense - you've got more options (many times) than normal.  I agree that by the 4th or5th game, we should see the real CAM.

Archived