Sammy Watkins Suspended for First 2 Games

AUCrete

Did no one see the most explicit tweet of the day?:

[Dabo on Watkins]: "He's going to sit. It's just a matter of how much."

My guess is he's suspended 1-2 quarters.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be too surprised to see him sit at the beginning of the game, and then once Auburn starts beating their brains in, he comes off the bench...kinda like how DJ Hall did for Saban back in 07.

:laugh::bow:

He'll sit for half of every game this year... when the defense is on the field.   :laugh:

:laugh::bow::laugh::bow::laugh::bow::laugh::bow:

Forced myself to watch an ESPN interview with Dabo a bit ago.  Dabo learned his disciplinary skills from Sabear.  Sounded to me like Watkins has already proven to Dabo that he is a changed man.  Dabo said he will announce Watkin's punishment after Fall practices begin.  I look for anything from a "first offensive series" to a whole "first half" suspension.  My feelings are that we will be facing Sammie Watkins.

He's a dangerous player, but I don't think one player will make us win or lose the game. We will need to show our improvement as a team, which hopefully we will.

Watched it too. Thought it was funny how he said he'll talk to SW during practices and how he's strict on that kind of stuff. If he was strict. He would've already done something about it.

Saw a quote by Dumbo that Watkins has gone "above and beyond" what was expected of him to get out of the doghouse. Guess he hasn't broken any laws in the past month or so is what dumbo means.

And he went a week without ice cream... :-X

He was interviewed by Chuck Oliver on 680 The Fan yesterday and Chuck went after Dabo right off...Chuck is also an Auburn grad.  Chuck asked him straight up if and how long Watkins would be suspended and Dabo tried to deflect the question.  But Chuck was relentless with questions like, "So, would you consider playing Sammie for the Auburn game and making him sit for your two next opponents (Ball State and Furman) because that's what we've heard.  Can you imagine the backlash you are going to get if you do that?"  Dabo responded with general mumbling and that he and the administration would make the choice as to how they think it should be done.

Dabo is a snake in the grass and sounded so shady during that interview.  I wouldn't trust him at all and neither should Clemson. 

I hope Dumbo lets him play. and I hope the first play from scrimage he gets knocked out. Not seriusly hurt, just unable to continue to play. Maybe some little birdies flying around his head and a bad headache.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting interview with Dabo Swinney about Sammy Watkins and his availability for the Auburn-Clemson game.

http://progress.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120802/SPORTS0402/308020021/Swinney-speaks-Auburn-opener-Gridiron-Kickoff-Clemson-coach-says-s-just-another-game?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cs

The gest of it is that the Auburn-Clemson game is just another game... cough cough... and he won't say whether Watkins will play or not.  Look, he knows by now whether he will play.  And if you read the article, the Auburn-Clemson game is his Iron Bowl.

Swinney obviously doesn't want to give Auburn any info that might help Auburn prepare. So think about it from that perspective. If Swinney had a choice, he would not suspend him for the Auburn game. But at this date I think if he was not suspending him he would have came out and said as much. Without knowing for sure, Auburn has to spend practice time preparing for Watkins... that is a no-brainer. With that in mind, I think Swinney is just delaying the announcement of Watkins being suspended for the Auburn game to cause Auburn to spend practice time on Watkins when they could possibly best use that time on something else. Just a thought.

Of course he might be playing him and just putting off announcing it to keep any criticism of that from building up momentum and becoming a distraction leading up to the game... but I doubt it. I don't think that would be all that much of a distraction and if he is going to get criticized, he gets it no matter when folks find out. The worst outcome as far as criticism goes, is if he plays him and still looses to Auburn.

What will be interesting is to see how long it will go before the suspension situation is known. It figures that the Clemson coaches and team will know or will figure it out real quick when they practice... and that is a lot of people to keep a juicy secret to themselves.

What will be interesting is to see how long it will go before the suspension situation is known. It figures that the Clemson coaches and team will know or will figure it out real quick when they practice... and that is a lot of people to keep a juicy secret to themselves.

A suspension would not effect practice time, only game time.  We won't know until they take the field.  We will just prepare for Clemson.  If Watkins isn't in the game, another receiver will be and we have to cover him too.

A suspension would not effect practice time, only game time.  We won't know until they take the field.  We will just prepare for Clemson.  If Watkins isn't in the game, another receiver will be and we have to cover him too.

That isn't what I was figuring.

From Auburn's view, Watkins is a special player, one you have to be careful with and don't let him beat you. I think you have to know where he is lined up at all times and account for him more so than most other receivers... and that takes some practice time.

From Clemson's view, Watkins is big part of their offense. If they won't have him for the Auburn game, they will need to work more than normal with someone else.

That's just my opinion. If you don't think it affects how Auburn prepares and practices, why do you think Swinney is not saying?

That isn't what I was figuring.

From Auburn's view, Watkins is a special player, one you have to be careful with and don't let him beat you. I think you have to know where he is lined up at all times and account for him more so than most other receivers... and that takes some practice time.

From Clemson's view, Watkins is big part of their offense. If they won't have him for the Auburn game, they will need to work more than normal with someone else.

That's just my opinion. If you don't think it affects how Auburn prepares and practices, why do you think Swinney is not saying?

I'm saying we prepare for Clemson as if Watkins plays.  If he doesnn't, then we adjust accordingly.  I don't think we can predict trick plays they will run if Sammy is out.

Clemson does things with Watkins they don't do with their other receivers.  You don't prepare for Watkins; you prepare for a Clemson team that HAS Watkins.  Which is a more demanding task.

I ain't worrying about Watkins.  AU's front line's gonna be playing red rover in Clemson's backfield all night long, so if he does suit-up, I see Mr. Watkins just getting some cardio with most of their snaps.  :hellyeah:

Archived