Note on Cameron Artis-Payne (A-Day)

StatTiger

Cameron Artis-Payne finished the game with 97-yards on 12 carries, gaining an impressive 8.1 yards per attempt.

The level of competition he faced during A-Day should have resulted in a solid outing but there were several bright spots about his performance regardless of the competition.

We know from last season, CAP possesses talent and speed is not one of his strengths. IMO, his vision, footwork and physical style are his primary attributes. Coming into A-Day, I was hoping to see CAP working towards getting north & south quickly. Tre Mason's biggest asset as a RB was his ability to hit the hole without hesitation. This almost always resulting in Mason maximizing his carries and limited the times he was tackled for a loss. Mason is perhaps one of Auburn's greatest "short-yardage" backs of all time.

During the A-Day game, CAP faced 5 occasions, Auburn needed 2-yards or less to convert a first down. CAP was 4 of 5, which was an excellent sign for the future.

Last season, 44.0% of CAP's rush attempts equated to a 5-yard gain or better. CAP hit the 66.7% mark this past Saturday. The one time he failed to convert, he attempted to reverse his field.

A-DayCapZR_zps01c0d15c.jpg

During the above play, we see CAP's strengths as a RB. Nick Marshall and Tre Mason improved their mesh-exchange as the season progressed, making it difficult for the opposition to defend the read-option element of the Auburn running game. It will take plenty of reps for CAP and Marshall to refine this aspect but it was in solid form on this particular play.

The delay in exchange froze the DE long enough for CAP to dart by after receiving the exchange. He takes 2 steps forward pulling the MLB and safety inside. CAP bounces from the "B" gap to the "C" gap before darting up field for a 9-yard gain.

I like the way CAP squares his shoulders quickly as he bounces outside, making him more difficult to face head on. The play displays his vision and quick decision making. A 3-yard gain is better than no gain or loss on the play.

Last season Tre Mason was held to no gain or a loss on 7.2% of his carries. CAP checked in at 12.1%. Of his 12 carries during A-Day, CAP gained positive yardage on all 12 attempts. Consistently making the most of each attempt, made Mason one of the best backs in the country. Cameron Artis-Payne will have the opportunity to do the same but a healthy Peyton Barber will push for playing time because he possesses the same ability to get vertical quickly.

Is it possible for Cameron to replicate Tre's carries AND Marshall throwing the ball more?

Unless CAP really comes on strong, I don't see him being the workhorse Tre was, even if he's the lead back. Few backs get better after 25 carries-- Tre has a special quality.

Is it possible for Cameron to replicate Tre's carries AND Marshall throwing the ball more?

If we finally see a true installation of the HUNH this season, then we might add enough plays per game to do that.

Unless CAP really comes on strong, I don't see him being the workhorse Tre was, even if he's the lead back. Few backs get better after 25 carries-- Tre has a special quality.

this^^^

I am watching the tape and I know it's the second string but it takes two or three guys to bring him down. I think that's a very good sign. Thunder and lightning this fall?

Though I believe Auburn will throw more than last year, it won't be by much. The key is completing more than throwing more. Even with a healthy Peyton Barber, I expected CAP to start the season. The first couple of games would likely decide if CAP remained the primary RB. If he is consistent and productive, he likely holds down the primary spot and receives the majority of carries. One of the reasons why Mason had so many carries was more about Malzahn wanting to limit subbing (no-huddle and pace) than CAP not being reliable.

The primary RB if healthy will likely have at least 250-260 carries over the course of 13 games. This is based on Malzahn's prior history of utilizing his RB's.

Though I believe Auburn will throw more than last year, it won't be by much. The is completing more than throwing more. Even with a healthy Peyton Barber, I expected CAP to start the season. The first couple of games would likely decide if CAP remained the primary RB. If he is consistent and productive, he likely holds down the primary spot and receives the majority of carries. One of the reasons why Mason had so many carries was more about Malzahn wanting to limit subbing (no-huddle and pace) than CAP not being reliable.

If Auburn is successful at throwing the ball this will open up the run game, First few games will be tough sledding for any of the RBs as teams key on the run. Expect Arky to say go ahead and pass on us and sell out on the run.

The thing I have noticed about him is his great cutting ability.

This is the biggest advantage I think he possesses. He may not be "fast" (Tre didn't have break away speed either though IMO) but he definitely cuts quickly. As long as he takes the hand off and hits the hole like Tre, he'll be fine.

i see nothing wrong with CAP's game. I just don't see it as productive as mason's was. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't understand this....Tre was a special back and I'm not sure it's fair to compare CAP or anyone else to him....or to expect the same performance.

Yet, CAP averaged 6.7 YPC last season vs 5.7 for Tre and picked up 600+ yards. Seems to me that Gus's offense depends on the RB always going forward and CAP seems to have no reluctance to go put his head down. I can see him picking up 1500+ yards this season.

i see nothing wrong with CAP's game. I just don't see it as productive as mason's was. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't understand this....Tre was a special back and I'm not sure it's fair to compare CAP or anyone else to him....or to expect the same performance.

Yet, CAP averaged 6.7 YPC last season vs 5.7 for Tre and picked up 600+ yards. Seems to me that Gus's offense depends on the RB always going forward and CAP seems to have no reluctance to go put his head down. I can see him picking up 1500+ yards this season.

Look at who they picked up yards against. That said , I think CAP does well.

The thing I have noticed about him is his great cutting ability.

Yeah on his TD in the SECCG he made two nasty jump cuts

Archived