Defensive OFI

irnimrod

This is not a thread to b***h about our team but rather to look at areas where we can get better and explore options.

Defense:

1. Safety play:

Observation - We can do a better job helping our CB on deep balls. Our safeties play a lot like extra linebackers and do a great job making tackles, but they often get "sucked in" to give the bad guys a chance to throw "over the top". A great example is the LSU TD pass.

Suggestion - We could use more single deep safety calls on 2nd down and 3rd and short. This would make protecting the deep ball the priority of one of the safeties while the other plays like a LB.

2. Man to man coverage:

Observation: One of our Safeties has a very hard time covering anyone man to man. LSU had a couple of chances to make big plays had their QB made a good pass.

Suggestion: We could slide in a CB in place of a LB when using that scheme and allow the safety to play as a LB or to play a deep cover.

3. DE Containment

Observation: Many times our DE gets caught inside on run plays and play action allowing the RB or QB to get outside the pocket. The guys are selling out trying to help stop a run play only to get hooked as the RB or QB goes outside.

Suggestion: A more deliberate attack on the corner by the DE to read the play before committing. On possible passing downs, perhaps they can attack up the field before pursuing the play.

How would you guys try to resolve these issues if you see them as areas where we can improve?

All valid points. I think all in all we are improving as a team every week, and we just have to hope that it continues and these issues are addressed. I have faith that if you noticed these things, so did our coaching staff, and they will get them fixed to the best of their ability.

I think the saftey thing is very valid. I would think since one is the "free saftey" and one is the "strong safety". The FS would hang back in coverage and the SS would play the middle zone like an extra LB or man up on a reciever.

This is not a thread to b***h about our team but rather to look at areas where we can get better and explore options.

Defense:

1. Safety play:

Observation -  We can do a better job helping our CB on deep balls. Our safeties play a lot like extra linebackers and do a great job making tackles, but they often get "sucked in" to give the bad guys a chance to throw "over the top".  A great example is the LSU TD pass.

Suggestion - We could use more single deep safety calls on 2nd down and 3rd and short. This would make protecting the deep ball the priority of one of the safeties while the other plays like a LB.

2. Man to man coverage:

Observation: One of our Safeties has a very hard time covering anyone man to man. LSU had a couple of chances to make big plays had their QB made a good pass.

Suggestion: We could slide in a CB in place of a LB when using that scheme and allow the safety to play as a LB or to play a deep cover.

3. DE Containment

Observation: Many times our DE gets caught inside on run plays and play action allowing the RB or QB to get outside the pocket. The guys are selling out trying to help stop a run play only to get hooked as the RB or QB goes outside.

Suggestion: A more deliberate attack on the corner by the DE to read the play before committing. On possible passing downs, perhaps they can attack up the field before pursuing the play.

How would you guys try to resolve these issues if you see them as areas where we can improve?

email this to tubberville.

I think that our first glimpse as to how our pass defense really stacks up will be against UT. I hope our down linemen can put pressure on the QB with blitzing... In Chizik I trust... :)

Defense:

1. Safety play:

Observation - We can do a better job helping our CB on deep balls. Our safeties play a lot like extra linebackers and do a great job making tackles, but they often get "sucked in" to give the bad guys a chance to throw "over the top". A great example is the LSU TD pass.

2. Man to man coverage:

3. DE Containment

We were in zone coverage most of the game I believe....

Defense:

1. Safety play:

Observation -  We can do a better job helping our CB on deep balls. Our safeties play a lot like extra linebackers and do a great job making tackles, but they often get "sucked in" to give the bad guys a chance to throw "over the top".  A great example is the LSU TD pass.

2. Man to man coverage:

3. DE Containment

We were in zone coverage most of the game I believe....

we ran alot of man coverage with a two deep zone

Defense:

1. Safety play:

2. Man to man coverage:

3. DE Containment

My thoughts:

1. Safety play:

The problem with that is that it is very hard for a single safety to cover the entire deep zone especially because opposing offenses seem to pick on the middle of our defense-we need a guy in the middle of the deep zone. Our safeties aren't fast enough to do that unless we are blitzing.

2. Man to man coverage:

The scheme we ran against LSU was to stop the run and make them throw-so we couldn't afford to replace a LB with a DB. The reason we ran alot of man coverages is because we had so many guys on or near the line-sometimes a few would drop back and sometimes a few would blitz.

3. DE Containment

We were compensating for their massive Oline pushing around our undersized LBs. So we had to try to take away the middle and force them outside where we matched up well with our speed-we got burned two or three times because of it.

coupla thoughts.

will is obviously the safety that has a tougher time in man coverage, but i only saw two times in the lsu game where they even tried to take advantage of that. we do a good job of disguising coverages by running different stuff out of a single base set which keeps teams from changing their routes to abuse will or even to take advantage of linebacker/slot receiver matchups. i think this one problem is something that chizik is willing to live with b/c of the low probability that folks will be able to beat will or kevin or whoever consistently enough to move down the field. plus, herring is playing so well in every other part of the game. i don't see us using a lot of cover one plays like you suggest.

the defensive ends crashing down is a problem. i see what erik is saying, but i kinda think it's wishful thinking to claim that as part of our gameplan. the main reason i say otherwise is b/c we've done it less each game. i think it's just a matter of terry price beating "pin your eyes back" on every play out of some of the younger guys. i think that's why mcclover didn't get the start against msu b/c his containment was so bad. price is a great ends coach so i think this one'll work out with time.

and yeah, in chizik i trust.

Rosegreen and Herring are solid safeties, but no ones safeties can cover a wide receiver for very long. In a situation with three wideouts, it is imperative that someone in the front seven gets pressure on the QB and make him throw before he wants to. Otherwise, that is a high percentage pass. Besides, Tuberville said on the "Review" that the safety bit on the play action and that got the WR free for the TD, that is only corrected by experience.

I think most of the defeciencies are due more to youth and inexperience than on schemes. I like Chizik's attacking style and his ability to make "in game" adjustments. For example, Tuberville stated in his press conference that they blitzed heavily on that first drive, and LSU took advantage of overrun containments and holes in the zone left by the blitzing players. So, for the rest of the game, they blitzed less. I don't think we can argue with the results. Barring injuries, this defense could be the best in the conference as these guys gain experience.

Archived