We may be #3 in BCS

Boss

I'm not sure of all of the rating criteria for BCS, but I understand that 2/3's of the points are based on the AP/ESPN polls. From what I've seen, the calculations are made from the percentage of total points available in each poll. Looking at these numbers, in the ESPN/Coaches poll, AU has 1359 of 1525 points (.891) and Miami has 1380 of 1525 (.905). In the AP poll, AU has 1478 of 1625 points (.910) and Miami has 1448 of 1625 points (.891). The total result is that AU has 1.801 and Miami has 1.796.

The other 1/3 rating criteria is based on computer polls. With this in mind, I'm sure the computers take into account such things as strength of schedule and wins over Top 25 teams. With this in mind, both AU and Miami have 2 wins over Top 25 teams. However, based on AP/ESPN rankings, our 2 wins are against teams that are ranked an average of 8th (Ga) and 12th (Tenn), for an overall average of 10th. Miami's 2 wins are against teams with an average of 5th (FSU) and 16.5 (Louisville) for an average of 10.75th.

It looks like we will very close to Miami when the BCS standings come out. Does anyone have more info that sheds light on the actual calculations?

Using your logic then yes we would have a shot at being number 3. But you made on mistake. Our other Top 25 win wasn't against UGA. It was against Tennessee. So Miami's average will be higher.

Archived