Disappointed and Saddened...

tigeraddikt

Just got in from early church, where I encountered a stark realization.

You can't fix bammer.

I've made close friends with a guy the past couple of years who goes to my church. He's in his mid 30's (I'm 31) and has a lovely wife and 3 adorable little kids. He is a good father, husband, and a hard worker. We both have zippy senses of humor about things and enjoy each other's occasional company. To the problem...

He is a bammer. I mean HUGE bammer, and, of course, he did not attend the University. He invited me to take part in his Fantasy Football league this year; it's my first foray into FF, but I'm hoping to enjoy it. As I was speaking to him this morning before the service started, I mentioned that I'd drafted McCallebb as a RB, hoping to cash in on both running TD's and Special Team TD's, etc, and that got it started...

He has to put his $.02 in about how "thin AU is at running back" due to Jovon Robinson's ineligilibity, and I say, um, well we've got a 4-star true Sophomore Tre Mason who'll get 10 touches/game (I didn't even get around to Grant or Blakely) at which he scoffed like Tre was akin to a mop-up 3rd string RB. I looked at him and tried to straighten his ignorance; he replies that "Our (Bammer's) Freshman (Flipdon) RB will "open some eyes and surpass any back AU has in carries and production blahblah..." I defend the legitimacy of my claims and he goes to rolling his eyes and going "pssssh" like a 7th grade prick.

I've really enjoyed getting to know him this past year, but I now realize that he is not a person I can count on to be able to discuss AU and AL in a sane, objective way. Be a fan, I say, but be reasonable. Bammers are anything but.

Bammer encounter #2 this afternoon at work...ran into my boss's bozoturd son-in-law at work. There was a t.v. on a preseason NFL game and Colin Kaepernik (sp?) was playing. I mentioned to him that he was the Nevada QB when they beat Boise State in '10 when Boise's FG kicker couldn't kick. Anyway, he replies, "I've blocked that year, except for the Bowl victory against Mich. State..." He then asked if I was a Bama fan, Auburn fan, or anything fan...I'm surprised he didn't know. I've talked to him more than once about football in the past few yrs and I'm sure my allegiance came up, but he's not that bright and apparently it didn't register in his nugget. When I said that "I was a pretty big Auburn fan," he instantly and without hesitation replied, "you better hold on to that one (2010 year)." I asked why that was so, and he kinda started backpedaling and saying "well, uhhh, uhhhh, years like those just don't happen..."

What gets me about bammers is that they actually "innocently" believe all the garbage that comes out instantly and without hesitation. All the entitled, elitist BS that they're programmed to say is just absolutely astounding.

Some other church friends of mine have an Eldest son who is in his last year at Bama. (At least he's a student, right?) Following Bama's whooping of LSU in NO this year, he tweets something (and he is being as SERIOUS as can be) to the effect: "Number 14 baby, woo hoo blahblah...you know, since I've been at Bama, we've won x games and 2 nat'l championships and x iron bowls blahblah...we've got the best coach, best recruits, best everything blahblah...YOU KNOW, I WONDER HOW EVERYBODY ELSE HANDLES NOT BEING GREAT LIKE BAMA? I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW I WOULD HANDLE NOT BEING A CHAMPION blahblah" sigh. YCFB.

Thanks for letting me rant, AUFamily! I'm done! Bring on Clemson! ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived