Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2017 at 9:25 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

My God, that's some fine sausage.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:43 AM, McLoofus said:

You'll appreciate this. A buddy of mine has inlaws outside Jackson, MS. Naturally, they do crawfish boils for family get togethers. He took down some Conecuh- not the thick original, but the thinner hickory smoked variety that I think has become more common- to throw in the pot. He said the locals scoffed at first, but not long after it was all dumped on the table, they were all saying, "Where's the skinny sausage?" I love getting to give people Conecuh for the first time. I actually get to do it on occasion since I live in Atlanta and they sell it here. They're usually blown away.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for a beer pairing, I'm all ears. A run of the mill IPA does great, but I'd love to nail it with something special. Conecuh deserves that respect.  

For my recent (Mardi Gras) herd of locusts, I used the "skinny" (hickory) Conecuh in my (other than sausage choice) traditional Low Country Boil. The sausage-seasoned water (the real base of a boil) was such that even the potatoes and corn disappeared at rates similar to those of the shrimp (usually, pre-Conecuh, the 1st to go) and sausage itself. The entire pot (~ 4-gal.) was gone before sunset. 

The (more knowledgeable than I) beer-drinking locusts (my daughter's crowd all met at college in Asheville) were happily sucking down my Fairhope Judge Roy Bean without sneers. The wine drinkers amongst them had little problem with Louis Jadot Macon-Village.

6 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

For my recent (Mardi Gras) herd of locusts, I used the "skinny" (hickory) Conecuh in my (other than sausage choice) traditional Low Country Boil. The sausage-seasoned water (the real base of a boil) was such that even the potatoes and corn disappeared at rates similar to those of the shrimp (usually, pre-Conecuh, the 1st to go) and sausage itself. The entire pot (~ 4-gal.) was gone before sunset. 

The (more knowledgeable than I) beer-drinking locusts (my daughter's crowd all met at college in Asheville) were happily sucking down my Fairhope Judge Roy Bean without sneers. The wine drinkers amongst them had little problem with Louis Jadot Macon-Village.

Where do I start? Slow clap for sure.

As Dogfish Heads trickle into AL, and as they fall into my grasp, I'm trying them. In review (so far): 60-min IPA was good, 90-min IPA was really, really good. 

Today - Indian Brown Dark IPA (do they brew anything but IPAs?). Not (at all!) bad, but a small step back for my progressive joy of the brand. Good dark heft, but a bit (how would you say) "murky?" No real hint of anything very hoppy or IPA-ish*, and not clearly distinguishable from many good dark beers. Best I can figure, their advertised brown-sugar addition is masking whatever else they put in there.

*Good time remind readers that I'm a heavy cigarette smoker. I could well be missing much.

ETA - Have not tried it yet, but just struck me that this beer (w./the sugar) could make one hell of a batter for onion rings? I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like you are in a good spot, AuT...new beer is fun.

I had three new ones today in NOLA. Founders Azacca, Bells Third Coast, and Urban South Holy Roller IPA. All were really tasty. I love this town. Good food and good beer.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:16 PM, AUinTLoosa said:

As Dogfish Heads trickle into AL, and as they fall into my grasp, I'm trying them. In review (so far): 60-min IPA was good, 90-min IPA was really, really good. 

Today - Indian Brown Dark IPA (do they brew anything but IPAs?). Not (at all!) bad, but a small step back for my progressive joy of the brand. Good dark heft, but a bit (how would you say) "murky?" No real hint of anything very hoppy or IPA-ish*, and not clearly distinguishable from many good dark beers. Best I can figure, their advertised brown-sugar addition is masking whatever else they put in there.

*Good time remind readers that I'm a heavy cigarette smoker. I could well be missing much.

ETA - Have not tried it yet, but just struck me that this beer (w./the sugar) could make one hell of a batter for onion rings? I'll keep you posted.

Decent 1st effort, worthy of a little fine tuning.

If you "waste" 1/2 an Indian Brown into a "tempura-type" (flour and cornstarch, mix cold) batter you still have the other 1/2 for appetizer/fuel while you fry rings for three. Ends up w./ expected/excellent crisp, but (from the sugar) browns and sticks better than typical tempura. You also have the rest of the 6-pack, which pairs well.

29 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

NOLA geography is maddening (apparently, as much to locals as to me)

That's why I married a local. Literally the only reason. She's really not bringing anything else to the table. But she knows how to show me a good time in New Orleans. It's enough. 

Surprisingly, I've been to a few of the establishments on that list. Most recently, WOB. They had a really nice local selection, plus they weren't too crowded. Really nice bottle selection too. The atmosphere was a bit, uh, meh.  I'll vouch for Urban South. I had their IPA and it was quiet tasty. 

I did pick up a 6 pack of Dirty Bastard and a new one from Mudbug Brewing, their Cafe Au Lait Milk Stout. Sounded really tasty. I have a list of bottle shops down their if anyone needs it.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's why I married a local. Literally the only reason. She's really not bringing anything else to the table. But she knows how to show me a good time in New Orleans. It's enough. 

I'ma tell her you said that. :P

Finally tried Sour Monkey. Found a single 12oz. Not bad, lives up to its hype around these parts. Didn't realize it was over 9%. Definitely like it better than the standard Golden Monkey. 

Will do, 'loof. Rouses on Baronne had it. 

Okay, I'm ready for a real foray into sours. I figured out that the Destihl Wild series was a horrible representation. Suggestions? There are several from Cascade at my local bottle shop.

29 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Finally tried Sour Monkey. Found a single 12oz. Not bad, lives up to its hype around these parts. Didn't realize it was over 9%. Definitely like it better than the standard Golden Monkey. 

Solid beer. They started selling in sixers down here. Been a minute since I had it. Should pick some up. 

Cascade is very well regarded, if you're willing to pay it. But that's going to be the case with most of them.

I'm guessing you don't get Wicked Weed?

Cuvee Freddy is *awesome* and affordable if you see it. I got it in Montgomery one time, sooo...

Boulevard makes at least one good sour- Love Potion I think?

Shocks probably knows more than I do.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Cascade is very well regarded, if you're willing to pay it. But that's going to be the case with most of them.

I'm guessing you don't get Wicked Weed?

Cuvee Freddy is *awesome* and affordable if you see it. I got it in Montgomery one time, sooo...

Boulevard makes at least one good sour- Love Potion I think?

Shocks probably knows more than I do.

Don't see any of those around here. I do see the Boulevard BBQ from time to time, but that's the only one of theirs I see routinely.

Need to bite the bullet and snag some of that Crooked Stave.

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Don't see any of those around here. I do see the Boulevard BBQ from time to time, but that's the only one of theirs I see routinely.

Need to bite the bullet and snag some of that Crooked Stave.

It does require chewing on bullets but I forgot about Crooked Stave and, yeah, they do make great beer. Good call.

No Wicked Weed here. Cascade and Parish are about the only sours here right now. Great Raft did one called Come What Mayhaw that has gotten good reviews. Plus they are doing foeder aged sours...releasing this weekend. How well do sours age? 

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

No Wicked Weed here. Cascade and Parish are about the only sours here right now. Great Raft did one called Come What Mayhaw that has gotten good reviews. Plus they are doing foeder aged sours...releasing this weekend. How well do sours age? 

Depends on the style. I drank a 10 year old gueuze last year and loved it.

I wouldn't go much past a year on most American Wilds.

Copy that. My fear is that with my slow market here, these may have a bit of age on them. 

Just reread GR site, it's a foeder fermented sour aged in pluot (hybridized plum and apricot) fruit. Beautiful colored beer.

I am so ready for my annual beach trip coming up in July. Nothing quite like a lambic on the seawall at sunset. 

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

As an aside - April '17 Southern Living (p. 72) named Wicked Weed the "South's Best Brewery." ("South" apparently includes, at least, VA to TX. For perspective, Good People @ #4, Cigar City @ #9).

Yo @Bigbens42- in case you're up for a *serious* beer run on 4/15. This is from Eddie at Ale Yeah! in Decatur (GA... Atlanta Jr.):

At-ale-iens,

Our Decatur location turned 6 recently and we're throwing a party Saturday, April 15th.  Our favorite artist Jeremy Townsend will be on site to do custom caricatures, we have a snazzy 6th anniversary glass to commemorate the big day (image attached), and of course some killer beers on tap.  Most will be available for 32oz growler fills only due to their rarity, and all will be tapped when we open, unless we get more kegs than lines and will replace the fallen soldiers as needed.

• Three Taverns "Day of the Departed" (10% Bourbon Aged Belgo-Russian Imperial Stout infused w/ peppers & Mexican spices)
  • Unknown Brewing "Raisin the Roof" (10.5% Abt/Quad brewed w cognac simmered raisins & cinnamon)
  • Oskar Blues "Barrel Aged Java Ten Fidy" (10.5% Bourbon Aged Ten Fidy w/ Hotbox Roasters coffee)
  • Wicked Weed "Barrel Aged French Toast" (9.5% Bourbon Aged Imp Stout w/ maple, vanilla & cinnamon)
  • Southbound "Arnold Palmer" on *CASK* (IPA w/ black tea & lemon)
  • Lost Abbey "My Black Parade" (12.5% Bourbon Aged strong ale w/ cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon, cardamon & smoked chilies)
  • Lost Abbey "Cuvee De Tomme" (11% Bourbon Aged Sour Brown w/ sour cherries)
  • Wild Heaven "Mavis" (Fruited sour w/ blackberry, raspberry & pear)
  • Gate City "Vanilla Brown" (6.5% Brewery only Brown Ale w/ vanilla)
  • Blue Tarp "Cherries Jubilee" (5% Sour Cherry ESB)
  • Kees "Strawberry Fields" (6% Sweet Stout w/ strawberries)
  • Evil Twin "Today is Just Yesterday's Tomorrow" (7% New England Style IPA)
  • Monday Night "Tears Of My Enemies" (9.3% Scotch Barrel Aged Milk Stout)
  • Orpheus "Noise & Flesh" (4.4% White Wine Barrel Aged Wild Ale)
  • Wrecking Bar "Dry Hopped Breaking Bob Kolsch" (custom done just for us; the best Jerry, the best)

Talking with a couple other breweries about some fun stuff and will update once they are in stone.  Looking forward to cutting the cake with some of you fine folks Saturday, April 15th!

Archived